Electrolysis Treatment Question

If I get the hair zapped via electrolysis every 6 weeks and one time how many sessions does it need to kill the hair completely?

You can expect the whole process to take around 18 months from start to finish. Thatā€™s 12 sessions if you have a treatment every six weeks. If your electrologist is completely clearing the area at each treatment, you can expect the time for each treatment to reduce as you progress. In this case, your electrologist might suggest waiting a bit longer between sessions towards the end.

1 Like

Just as a point of reference, who started the ā€œclearance at each treatmentā€ protocol?

Hello Bono,

What are your thoughts?

Iā€™m not challenging; just interested.

The ā€œclearance at each treatment protocol" has definitely become main-stream and, I believe, appropriate in many circumstances ā€¦ but not for all cases and not on all body/face areas. I actually tend to be a ā€œclearanceā€ guy ā€¦ but, I mostly do body work. Face work is a whole ā€˜nother story.

From one particular colleague in my area ā€¦ Iā€™m seeing the negative results of what Iā€™m going to call ā€œclandestine over-treatmentā€ ā€¦ or maybe ā€œstealth over-treatment?ā€ Meaning ā€¦ you see no post-op classic over-treatment at all ā€¦ as in zero scabs; but nevertheless, there are long-term problems starting to show-up. Iā€™m taking photos. Electrolysis is not ā€œone size fits all!ā€

1 Like

@BigBlueHeron

Equipmentā€¦ is a thing i mean the Machine seems more New . I would Say 2014+ proparly more 2017+.
But it doesnt matter so much , really . I mean by Electrolysis machines the Last 20 Years or so doesnt changed so much.

Also the Maginification Lamp seems ok

But Litterarly you need to know You need Some Clearence, like the Area get Clean i think arround 8x , before you see Real Results. I mean After a clearance the new hairs , who was not active growā€¦ and after they removed some new comeā€¦and so far.

You need 1 Year -17 within months in Normaly casesā€¦ by PCOS (Years).

Also with Electrolyis as Costumer it will be some Painful, if you have not a high pain toleranceā€¦ Proparly Numbing Cream can be helpful.

Also a Tipp From my side , you can make it your Electrolyigist easier by my i noticed it a lot. She did upperlip 5 x Times, She removed all Black hairsā€¦ But grey was nearly all After treatment there.

Proparly colour hiars with something some days beforeā€¦ make it easier for your Electroygist.

1 Like

Welcome to the electrolysis world.
The photo appears to look like a typical electrologists set up. The photo seems modern & updated.
Table for client, magnifying lamp, the device is called an epilator, this one looks like Apilus Platinum Pure and there are other supplies.
Thermolysis is a commonly use type of electrolysis.
It is always good to do your research & read reviews, if the reviews are available for the professional you choose. Yes. Experience matters & the skill of the electrologist.
Keep in mind ā€œitā€™s the quality of the treatment not the quantity.ā€
Any other questions feel free to email me: drlaser@comcast.net
Thank you.

1 Like

Here is a case I did.
A client in their 60ā€™s with a full facial beard of gray hairs had 100 hours of electrolysis.
The client came in one hour per week. It took us two years to complete the process.
The price was $100 per hour in the Boston, MA location. Cost $10,000 about.
The price varies with the location of the office because of expenses and overhead.
Even if you think you are done or cleared up, you may want additional touch up sessions one to four times a year, depend on any pesky hairs or stray hairs here or there. Not limited too.

2 Likes

For the most part, the age of the machine is irrelevant. It is the skill of the electrologist and how they use the tools available to them that really matters. Itā€™s like going to a restaurant and asking about the brand or age of the stove before you decide if you want to eat the food.

5 Likes

Thank you so very much, M_K, Linda and Hairadicator for taking the time to respond to my question. I found your comments and feedback incredibly helpful and informative. I am extremely grateful for this wonderful website and for all of you lovely folks. Thank you!!

Linda, thank you kindly for sharing your email address. Youā€™re a sweetheart! :pray:

Thanks againā€¦.wishing you all a peaceful evening. :blush:

1 Like

No Problem, you are Welcome.

i was costumer , my friend is Professional Electroligist i did by her 25 Hours

Even if no Professional, but by Reading/Asking my friend even i practice Electrolyiss (DIY) with a professional machine of myself on Hands , Nose , Facial hairs , Ears even some Belly/arms.

i Noticed by Myselfā€¦ By Facial hairs (beard) for example you Notice slow any real result.

By Hands ā€¦ Ears you see faster results. I mean first 3 x treatments on Had a lot hairs ,it come still sometime XX back, but i need nearly no time to clean it by myself.

By Ears the Same inside my Ears i had thick hairs my professional one removed them 2 times , last 2 times i did it by myself , hairs grow back some but. its not this much like before.

Even by Nose kinda the Same.

But i think , have something to do with it , because that are DHT Zones by Males at least.

Proparly also because i take Medicamentation (DHT Blocker).

1 Like

May I ask what kind of medication you take, M_K? I am currently on low dose spiro. I do not have pcosā€¦.I am post-menopausal. I also take several supplements to lower testosterone levels. Some have worked better for me than others.

Of Course you can.

Right now i take : Finasterid 0,62 MG (Daily)
But for Head Hairloose (to protect it) that nose/ear hairs go slowly , its a good side effect of it. But this side effects hold just , so long you take it. If you stop it or i would stop it, the hairs grow normaly backā€¦ or come totally back.I tweezes for 6 months my nose hairs. Even i mix it with electrolysis but , actually if i go with my fingers over the nose hairs , some fall automaticaly out. I mean very easy. At least the thinner one . The thicker one not.

It exist a other DHT Blocker called : Dutasterid it block above 90% DHT , Finasterid is by 65% Arround, if i remember right.

This Medicaction is Mainly for Male Hairloose, even Female can take it , but not if you have a baby wish. Like want have kidsā€¦ Because it can have bad side effects for the baby . At least google say it.

But if you want it , you should speak with a : Skin Doctor, only he can give it you.

Also Finasterid /Dutasterid can have bad side effect by male at least like : Depressions, Libido Lost , even very rare cases of breast cancer like 0,0X %. And so far

Even with this that you Loose Hairs, it exist no Guranttee for it. Just for Nose /Ear Hairs itrs kinda 80-90%Safe (by male one). Because usual arround 30+, head hairs start fall out and nose ā€¦ ears hairs grow. And its because Dehydestesteron. And Nose/Ear hairs and stimulated by DHT. You can read a lot peoples taked it and they hairs falled out. If you stop to take it, the hairs come back. So its Semi -Permanently (of you are one of the 50% who have the luck where hairs fall out).

But by Other Hairs like Chestā€¦Armsā€¦belllyā€¦neckā€¦pubesā€¦ buttā€¦asshairsā€¦legsā€¦feetā€¦facial hairsā€¦ eyebrows its , if you take Reddit posts serious about this topic . Peoples like 50% Arround , they taked it for 9 Months or Year/s . Noticed some kind of body hair loose, like arms hairs got thinner, legs hairs too, or chest/belly/shouldr /neck hairs are nearly gone.

How i sayed ā€¦ it exist no Guarantte for it it will happen or not.

Even by Trans peoples male to female , i asked in facebook like who Taked : Spina/CPA +Estradiol or Oestroegen , 70% Arround loosed the chest/Belly/back/Shoulder hairs after XX Months (slowly). By 30% arround they stayed.

Also Heared About a Way to Reduce body Hairs , it exist for Hychotrichose or how it called , this ultra hairgrowth everywhere. Food you can take , even as Normal person you can take it. If you go it constantly , you can reduce some yours hairs , But its not like Hairremoval . I mean you will loose maybe some densitity of hairs anywhere or hairs grow slower and so far. But its not like you are hands/legs/pubes/armpits /facial hairs or so free. Just some density can go with a while , thats all.

1 Like

I have read about Finasterid /Dutasterid but yeah, the side effects sounded horrendous and if I can I do my best to stay far away from pharmaceuticalsā€¦ā€¦ spiro is a big step for me ā€¦. 50 mg gave me anxiety so I dropped down to 25 mg and that seems just fine. No problems so far but itā€™s low dose so probably not doing much but itā€™s a start.

As I mentioned previously I am post-menopausal and my biggest issue is granny whiskers on my chin. :confounded: Itā€™s not a big area but so frustrating to say the least. However, folks that have to deal with pcosā€¦.my heart bleeds for them. They have to deal with so muchā€¦ā€¦same for trans folks.

I really appreciate your post and the beneficial info. Thank you for sharing :pray: :relaxed:

1 Like

You are Welcome, i know what you mean my Mom have it too. She have some hairs on overlipā€¦ chin she tweeze it allways.

But the positive one , if you have not this much hairs, its not so expesnvie. I mean my Mom for example have not this much hairs on chin , overlip in <30 Minutes it should be done by one session .

With 7-8 Sessions in 7-8 Mnths , if go more down proparl to <25 minutes.

1 Like

As a transperson, I can tell you some of the more common antiandrogens in use today.
Spironolactone, in dosages up to 200 mg daily. Often women with PCOS are prescribed this but not always, and itā€™s commonly available in 50 mg 25 mg and 100 mg tablets. Your dosage is relevent to the levels of DHT in the bloodstream and this is usually followed by your doctor. Spiro is a diuretic, and it will make you have to urinate often, also is used as a blood pressure medication .and can cause dizzyness when standing up.
other common antiandrogens include Cyproterone ( Androcur) usually administered in 50 mg tablets. Cyproterone was originally developed as an artificial form of progesterone, but was determined to be a very weak progestin, and isnt used for that purpose. But it was determined to be a very STRONG antiandrogen. It has a well deserved reputation for causing depression and suicidal tendancies amoung transpeople. Often people will be administered 1/2 or 1/4 the 50 mg dosage.to help with these issues.IT has a 40 hour halflife in the bloodstream and trends to lower dht to undetectable levels.Iā€™ve never heard of it being prescribes to CIS women before.
Others include such things as Finesteride, or duteraldehyde. . I have less experience with these drugs so wont comment on them, except to say that finestride is used commonly to combat male pattern baldness.
Often women with PCOS are prescribed forms of birth control to combat the issue with elevated DHT. In my experience while this is a common approach as doctors tend not to be well trained enough in endocrinology to address this issue in more effective manners, they are rightfully hesitant to go mucking with your hormonal balance. which can have , often , unpredictable results and consequences. This is whyif your doctor has prescribed you spiro ( the right approach IMHO ) it should be accoompanied by regular bloodwork checking levels of all hormones, estrogen, progesterone, dht etc. If DHT is indeed elevated enough for a doctor to prescribe spiro , then itā€™s equally important to determine the CAUSE. Escalated DHT can also be caused by things like cancerous tumours for example. So if elevated DHT is detected and there is NOT confirmation of cysts on the ovaries via ultrasound or itā€™s inconclusive , then you and your doctor need to be looking for another cause for this.Other causes COULD INCLUDE the possibility of cancerous growth and your doctor can test for this.
In my experience, women with untreated PCOS will need to have at least SOME ongoing electrolysis to address new hair formation in follicles that have never generated hair before, but are stimulated by the androgen dihydratestosterone.
The answer, as always, lies with your doctor.

Seana

2 Likes

i guess the Quote was a Mistake (in the end)

Just my Professional Electrologist /Friend where i did in the begin 25 Hours Electrolysis , she use 3x Zoom Magnification Lamp even with the light she see very Bad Grey Hairs . I coloured with beared/Facial hair colour , before apointments allways the hairs. But not getted all with haircolours.

Even on my Hand hairs, isee it very Hard. I mean i have very thin grey hairs there , even in sun even coloured you see them very hard. Need to buy me Maginifcation Lamp for table in future like 10 x Zoom. I Have perfectly eyes 100% Seeing Strength Facial hairs, Nose Hairs And Hand hairs and arms hairs i do easily with Maginfication Mirror , Mirror (normal one) And without anything so.

1 Like

You are welcome BigBlue Heron

But just a tipp , relax .

And if its too Painful for you, tell your electrologist do strength lower.

But i cant tell its Painful, i have Very High Pain tolerance . By my Professional electrologist on facial hairs and hand hairs and nose hairs i sleeped most of the time. I feeled some by Sleeping or general but it dont bother me. in Nose is just a annoying area, its not painful its just easy , that you sneeze because overreaction of your nose. Even by overlip hairs you sneeze some, you want or not.

But you Must look how its with the pains by you. And even dont worry, you have red dots after the apointment on your skin, but thatg go away after some weeks. And maybe you have swollen skin for 1 week arround but that go also.

And if you need it buy Anti septic cream, or Aloea vera and dont touch it (your skin) for 1 week , but that will you tell your electrologist too. And dont go in the sun for a while i think 48 hours( i think ).

I do electrolysis since above 1 week (nearly ) 2 on myself with a professional machine, even if i blood some it dont hurt . Just annoying , cant remove more hairs for a while, within it stop to bleed. But it happen rarely.