Electrolysis today

Hello everyone,
I’m new to this site, but wanted to reach as many of you globally to get some information. As an Electrologist for the past 20 years in 3 different states, I have found that professionally there is:

1. virtually no access to really good advanced training for us.
  2. just out of school there is little training on blend, or galvanic these days, and absolutely NO training on Multi-Needle.
  3. lack of information or confusing information on the internet for clients/patients
  4. the Electrolysis community as a whole has really suffered due to Laser’s unlimited marketing budget, and our associations (in my opinion) not doing enough for Electrologists to properly train and continue to teach in the advancement of our field.

All of these things contribute to an unfavorable view of Electrolysis, including bad experiences from not properly trained professionals, painful treatments, and incorrect information. All of these things are a recipe for declining professionalism which I have noticed since I began my career. But I really feel like we have the power to change all that, and put Electrolysis back on the radar as a viable treatment method, where we do NOT consistently need to compete with the Laser.

I am taking an approach to try to change the minds of the public about our field. I hope that you will all be kind enough to send me messages about your experiences (good and bad), please include what you have heard from clients, and other professionals, as well as what you feel might help our community? Whether it be a global conference twice a year? A pool of great retired professionals still with us, willing to make an appearance? Maybe some tools you developed in your practice that would help others?

And, of course feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions, or suggestions.

Thanks again!
Alana

I’m neither agreeing nor disagreeing with your statements … just some observations. (Over the years, I’ve done numerous “blend training” seminars in, actually, ten countries … so, I have “been around a few times.”)

First, I have discovered, in my many decades, that there is always someone more athletic than I, better looking, smarter, richer and, yes, a better electrologist than I am too.

I would not ever assume that the schools “out there” are doing a poor job, or that “training is not available” (it is), or even “declining professionalism.” I would not assume that the level of electrology work is sub-standard. Besides, how does anyone actually know this fact, unless you interview all electrologists and see their work?

For me, my “way,” is to keep on talking my old head off until nobody wants to hear me any more. It’s just what I do.

For example, the kid in this photo is a young fellow that wants to DIY and, perhaps, have a career in electrolysis. So, what am I doing? (No charge of course.)

In the photo, you see him with all my old “back-up” equipment: machine, lamp, telescope, etc. He spent all day yesterday “starting the craft.” I sent him home with all my equipment (tweezers and a dozen needles) to do certain operations for the next week or two. When he’s ready … then the next steps.

Eventually, he should become a pretty good electrologist. (Actually, he REALLY has the talent!) Only at that point, do I think he should make the decision to enter the field.

This is nothing special. I do this with kids all the time. At least two or three times, the kids went on to have a nice career. I think it’s best to give a beginner some real guidance and not assume they will “learn by themselves … alone in their dark bedroom, making up their own rules and methods.”

Again, I basically do understand all your points and, indeed, agree with a lot of what you are saying. You will find, however, that there is virtually ZERO desire in the “rank-and-file” electrologists too get interested in “advanced training” … or in even offering it themselves.

The associations are never going to offer any advanced training or anything like that. They are usually too embroiled in their own politics, and fresh ideas get squashed almost immediately.

I would say … just be the best YOU can be and forget about it! If you do a seminar in multiple needle, I’ll attend!

BTW … the two schools in California a wonderful and “top knotch.” Yes, different approaches, but the teachers are excellent and tops in their field.

We do that anyway Michael.

Seana

So I’ve noticed!

Thank you Michael and Seana for your responses and for sharing your thoughts.

This is all very helpful to me. I appreciate your time!

When I do a Multi-needle seminar, I will certainly let you know:)
Alana