Electrolysis scars

Hello to everyone,

I started my electrolysis treatment a couple of months ago after 3 years of I convincing my dermatologist to do it, see, Iive in Costa Rica, yes Central America, the land of NO ELECTROLYSIS… I had a case of gestational hirsutism on the last couple of months of my pregnancy, to y surprise I grew a semi-beard… After trying IPL treatments, the problem got even worse, the hair spread everywhere, even on places where there was no hair before, like cheeks, temples and cheekbones… This has been a complete nightmare for me, it truly has being…

After this treatments, I see no real difference… How long does it take to see results? We are just starting with on side of my face

After my treatment, I get very swollen marks on the sites where hair has being taken out, then I get scabs that last a full week to heal… after that redness for a few other days… Is this normal?

Also, after the hair has being zapped with the electricity and its pulled out with the tweezer, should it just slide out its place or is any resistence normal as its being pulled out?

I am alone with this down here as nobody performs electrolysis in Costa Rica, so getting information on procedures and methodology has being complicated…

Wow, I have so many questions I would like to ask, I will start with these…

Thank you!

I am very sorry to hear your story.
I am even more heart broken that I don’t currently have Costa Rica on my scheduled tour route.
Although I would love to show you what good work can be like, and maybe teach your doctor how to deliver it, while we clear you out during a few days work, I can only give you information and sympathy.

Sounds to me like you may be experiencing the usual problems that occur when someone has not enough skill, and not enough visual support (magnification and lighting).

On the other hand, if you got a full clearance, you would still see what appears to be “all of the hair regrowing” in 3 to 6 weeks after the first clearance… that is assuming you are even getting full clearances, which I doubt.

While others will chime in on this thread (i hope) and help you more, you should read around the electrolysis forum here, and pay attention to the success stories, and the long journals that some nice folks have taken the time to leave here for people like you to see their frustration, when they felt just like you do now, and their joy when they get to the point where they are positive it is working, and later when they have achieved success. That is, the hair is gone, and they are no longer treating the area on any regular basis.

Welcome To HairTell

Welcome to hairtell!

To answer you about the scabbing, swelling and redness, it is quite possible not to have scabbing for a week and redness thereafter. What is the name of the epilator that is being used. Tell me about the probe being used if you would. What do you do for aftercare? One needs good equipment, probe choice and skill to do electrolysis properly. It would be a good idea if someone from the great country of Costs Rica, could travel to an accredited school in the United States to get training. From there, it is possible to hand pick others who may want to learn about the art and skill of electrology, spreading a useful and most rewarding line of work to the helpless hairy in Costa Rica.

Here I’m again for a quick update after my derm visit. My skin reacted badly to a glycolic peel that I had a couple of weeks after the electrolysis, that’s why my pores and a few scars that I had look huge in the first picture that I posted. I had forgotten about that peel. I don’t know why it went wrong, but the lesson is: stay away from peels if you’re having electrolysis. Also, a bit irrelevant, the derm said that I shouldn’t be having peels, as I’m too young (I’m 32 and he thought that I was in my early twenties even with this crappy skin) and my skin doesn’t need peels.

The good news is that there’s no permanent damage and I won’t need any procedures, such as laser or dermabrasion. Phew! The past week I’ve been using only a moisturiser and sunscreen, and the derm said to do the same for the next 3 weeks. My skin still looks like an orange peel, and is very sensitive, but it looks better than one week ago, so I’m in the process of healing. In 3 weeks time I’ve got a new appointment to reassess my skin and work on a skin regimen. The derm said that we might try Niacinamide B3 initially, and then perhaps Retin-A, to tighten my pores and scars.

In the meantime, I had to google how to cover scars, as I’m not enjoying my ugly days, and figured out about Monistat and Lanacane. They have essentially the same ingredients with makeup primers, but they’re much cheaper. I got both (Monistat from ebay as I’m based in Australia and it’s not available here), and I’m equally pleased with both of them. My scars/pores are superficial and can be easily covered with makeup. I use Lanacane as a primer and then I apply foundation. It works wonders. I hope that you don’t think that I’m trying to advertise products again!

This subject sure does get a lot of “play.” Our resident reactions seem scripted. Where are the ditto marks when you need them? Yawn …

I have been dealing with several “hairtell” patients, and one of my own with hypersensitive skin. (Yes, “hyper” in spite of Laurier needles, no scabs at all, the right current and a somewhat acceptable skill on my part. S— happens sometimes.)

I’m still at a loss to explain my patient’s hypersensitivity … but she did have 9 laser treatments (that failed) … maybe that had some effect on her skin? I don’t know. There is nothing in the literature (but there is for telangiectasia becoming treatment resistant after laser. And, I have experienced this first hand.)

We “discovered” a copper polypeptide product that has real science behind it for wound-healing (lots of information on the web). These are commonly used after hair transplant. The one we are using is “iS:” “innovative skin care” product “super serum.” This has the right copper peptide formula, the right vitamin-C and safe skin lighteners. It’s working great.

I’m not a big fan of applying skin lotions unless needed. This one is fulfilling my greatest expectations. My patient’s skin will be perfect. But we need to use it throughout the entire procedure. Thank you Dr.C!

Did Michael say that vitamins and minerals help the skin? :o