Electrolysis or Laser

Go and visit the electrologists in your area. The electrologist needs to see your face.

If the time and money is an issue, you need to strategize. Therefore, do not have electrolysis on your entire face. Start with a single area. Choose one area of your face to get electrolysis. That means, on one area of your face, stop threading and stop tweezing. Choose the jawline or the upperlip for example.

Even if you begin with a 15 minute appointment, you will see less and less hair growth in the treated area and the 15 minute treatment will begin to cover a larger area of your face.

I have major universities all around me and that is often how I have to treat students who are very self conscious and have a very limited budget. Consider that as an option because for permanent hair removal, at this time in history, in your situation, electrolysis is the only way to permanent hair removal.

Laser is not for areas with fine hair. It can make it worse instead of better.

Plucking, waxing, epilating, etc all does the same thing. It removes hair with the root. Shaving or clipping doesn’t.

It takes around 12 months to finish electrolysis after you CLEAR the entire area you want hairfree once and then come in to clear the area every few weeks from any new hair that pops up.

How long it’ll take to get to that clearance depends on how many hairs you personally have to treat. An average electrologist removes 5-10 hairs per minute.

I wish we could give you a fast and easy solution, but it doesn’t exist. But electrolysis is completely doable given the right electrologist and equipment and your committment.

thankx soo much for the comments. if i m not thinking of electrolysis at the moment do i still hv to stop plucking/epilating my sideburns? or can i continue until i decide to have electrolysis? and hw long before should be good to stop?

I think that you should stop today. There are alternative methods of hair removal that you can try while you make up your mind about electrolysis. If you have a good pair of facial hair trimmers you can get a close cut. I am using them at the moment to remove my sideburns while I undergo electrolysis on my face. I will eventually get electrolysis on my sideburns but that is not a priority for me.

thanx LAGIRL. can you recomend a good electrologist in the suffolk county/ huntington area… since u live in NY like me…thanxx

Shahana, 2 years is a not a long time at all. I have been very happy since my first treatment because my electrologist kept my face clean. You don’t have to wait for 2 years to see results. I went for 4 hours in beginning so that I could get full clearance.

Electrolysis takes time because it may take a couple of months for a hair to grow again and then you have to treat it again. I didn’t stay on the schedule my electrologist wanted me to be. Probably if i had not canceled a lot and visited her according to her liking then I could finish earlier but who knows. It takes time but I had never been so confident about my appearance before.

According to my experience longer you keep plucking, harder to kill the hair. I mean the most troublesome areas are which I started plucking as a teenager.

You can do whatever you want until you start electrolysis, though shaving is recommended in general instead of removing hair with the root because the latter makes the hair stronger and harder to kill with electrolysis.

I’m sorry, but I don’t know electrologists in your area. However, run a Google search and look up the electrolysis directory at AEA. Then go in for consultations. Call them first and see if you can find someone using thermolysis method, especially with Apilus or Silouette machine. Then go for a free sample treatment.

A simple Google search gives this:

Advanced Electrolysis‎- more info »
28 North Country Road, Mt Sinai, NY‎ - (631) 331-2446‎
Hairfree & Carefree‎- more info »
749 Montauk Highway, Bayport, NY‎ - (631) 472-5201‎
Lifetime Laser & Electrolysis‎- more info »
565 Route 25A # 103, Miller Place, NY‎ - (631) 744-5082‎
Elizabeth Gundlach Cpe‎- more info »
12 Donack Lane, Bellport, NY‎ - (631) 776-0424‎
All About You Electrolysis‎- more info »
348 Barton Avenue, East Patchogue, NY‎ - (631) 654-5446‎
Ironside Phyllis Cce Electrologist‎- more info »
11 Stony Road, Stony Brook, NY‎ - (631) 444-0103‎
Permanent Results Electrolysis and Skin Care Studio‎- more info »
10 Highland Street West, Massapequa, NY‎ - (516) 541-5291‎

Go with electrolysis. I did laser on my face a few years ago. I didn’t even have much hair at the time, I was just being incredibly picky. After spending so much time and money, not only did it not remove the hair I had, but actually stimulated the growth of more hair in treated and adjacent areas. Now, every day I need to worry about removing hair on my face. It is not only time consuming but emotionally straining.
I know a couple others mentioned the same thing so this post may seem repetitive, but I really wanted to emphasize this point. I’m assuming there are people who have done laser treatments on their face that have been successful. Don’t get tempted by their success stories. It’s not worth taking the risk.
Another advice, keep up with the research and keep asking questions like you are now! Learn as much as you can about the treatments you end up getting. If I did the same as you I would not have made such an awful mistake. I know better now and am trying to learn as much as I can before starting electrolysis treatments,
This site is a wonderful resource, and I’m sure there are others too. Take advantage of the information out there.