Electrolysis or laser for a young male?

Hi,
First of all thank you all for providing so much information for people like me who didn’t know anything about laser and electrolysis untill a couple of months ago. First, I wanted to see what is the best option for me LHR or electrolysis. I’m a male and i just turned 18 and i have Fitzpatric type V skin, i have very dark hair and medium skin (tans easily). I eventually want to remove hair all over my body but after reading this thread i realized that i’m still young i don’t think laser is the best option since there will be future hair growth and also the zapped hair will grow back. web paHair Regrowth in Young Men ge
So now i’m leaning towards electrolysis, however, i want to do big areas like chest, abdomen etc… would this be possible? I know that laser is cheaper than electrolysis in the long term but do you need a large sum of money to get started on electrolysis if you want to have at least 2 sessions a week?
Thanx and sorry for asking so many stupid questions

Read that full post you reference. jimmyjames is the one stating the “facts” that all lasered hair will grow back, which is simply not true. He had a bad experience, but others also have had bad experiences with electrolysis, which doesn’t mean that neither work.

The trick is to find a good practitioner for either discipline. The costs will probably be about the same over the long haul, but laser will involve less of your time. In either case, electrolysis will be needed for clearing every last hair if that is your desire.

yes, I agree. you misread a post because one person who wasn’t happy with his laser treatment suggested that laser is not permanent. Both NoHair, I, and plenty of others have had great results with laser. It all depends on the practitioner, research, machine used, settings, etc etc with both laser and electrolysis that will determine what kind of results you will get. If you will get more hair because you’re still young, you’ll get it no matter if you remove the hair that’s there now with laser or electrolysis. Both methods remove the hair that is currently there now, but have no effect on the hair your body MIGHT develop in the future.

Either way, removing hair everywhere on your body will be an expensive procedure with lots of dedication involved for consistent treatments etc. The most cost-effective approach is to treat large areas with coarse hair with laser, and areas with very fine hair with electrolysis. Please read teh FAQs and you’ll be able to determine what to do next and what’s best for you. With your skin type btw, you can only use a Yag laser.

www.hairremovalforum.com/faq.cfm

Electrolysis is proven, and has been around for about 125 years. More than a century. The results are apparent from the very first treatment. It is a process that takes time, so get started now.

Laser, on the otherhand, is not proven. It can’t get a ‘permanent’ clearance approval from the FDA. If it truly was permanent, getting permanent approval would be no problem. But it’s not, so it can’t.

Many people go spend money, lots of money, on laser. They then see hair again months down the road. This doesn’t happen with electrolysis. I know, like others, I’ve had both, and I know electrolysis works.

Don’t throw your money away.

Laser IS new and there are too many variables to determine for 100% how the reduction works, especially considering many types of machines available and differences in results based on your skin type – things that are irrelevant for electrolysis. So studies are in the process, but hard to prove for 100% at this point for everyone. That’s why laser is approved for “reduction”, not “removal”. They’ve been able to prove clearance for up to 24 months (longest study conducted), but it will take a while to prove guaranteed removal for all various hair types and situations, and being able to separate that from the type of laser and settings used. Lots of variables. Here are some of the recent published studies if you’re interested:

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/htm/programmer/kontant/haarfjerningrapport.pdf

p.s. just to be completely honest here, Mantaray had 5 bad laser treatments with a new machine that hasn’t been proven yet, and has only started electrolysis a month ago (out of the minimum 9-12 months needed to see considerable results). so take all comments with a grain of salt.

Mantaray, I’m wondering something…if electrolysis doesn’t work on you (it’s a possibility of course although you won’t admit it now since you’re convinced you have no medical issues and nothing else preventing you from getting permanent removal), will you be retracting your words as you did previously with laser? somehow I remember you constantly praising laser during your treatments and recommending both the laser and the treatments to everyone on these boards…kinda like what you’re doing now with electrolysis BEFORE you’ve seen any results.

if electrolysis doesn’t work on you

Electrolysis works

Laser IS new

No. Laser has been around long enough to have at least completed at least ONE successful clinical trial.

5 bad laser treatments

I had five standard treatments. Period. Are you insinuating that a standard laser treatment is a bad laser treatment? I might agree with you on that.

minimum 9-12 months needed to see considerable results

Who on earth says you need a minimum of 9 months to a year to see results? Get your facts correct!

a new machine that hasn’t been proven yet

And no laser has been proven. Not one! For permanent hair removal.

Mantaray

if electrolysis doesn’t work on you

Electrolysis works

That’s what you said about laser in previous statements and didn’t answer my question. You have no personal experience to claim, same as previously. That conviction without personal experience already got you in trouble before.

Laser IS new

No. Laser has been around long enough to have at least completed at least ONE successful clinical trial.

10 years is new, especially when effective lasers have only been around for 7-8. There is a link with successful clinical trials above? Did you conveniently skip it becuase it doesn’t support your opinions?

5 bad laser treatments

I had five standard treatments. Period. Are you insinuating that a standard laser treatment is a bad laser treatment? I might agree with you on that.

I’m insinuating that you were treated with a Comet, a new “breakthrough” technology that hasn’t proven itself yet, as noone on these forums have seen results from it. In addition to that, your treatments were spaced too close together, at 6 weeks apart. All professionals on these forums recommended a minimum of 8 weeks and longer after 1-2 treatments because if treatments are done correctly and you do see shedding, you shouldn’t have anything to treat at 6 weeks. If you did, then you mistook burning off the top part of the hair for shedding. And overall, if you have treatments that close together, that’s basically same as only having 3 treatments at most since your other 2 are useless (the hair hasn’t gone through the hair cycle yet, and you didn’t wait long enough for dormant hair to appear, meaning you most likely saw that dormant hair come in later, after you concluded that you were done.)

minimum 9-12 months needed to see considerable results

Who on earth says you need a minimum of 9 months to a year to see results? Get your facts correct!

This forum and my personal experience with electrolysis that you don’t have. Unlike you, I don’t defend one and bash the other. They both worked great for me. Unlike you, I’ve had many hours of electrolysis for over a year on various areas. Yes, it works, but it’s not a quick process. And the reason I’m saying you don’t see results until 9-12 months is because you really don’t know until then if the hair was killed or just plucked and is coming back, or if you have a medical condition and more will grow in. After a month that you’ve been treated for, all you see is same effect as if you had waxed or plucked the hair. You don’t know what will happen in a year.

a new machine that hasn’t been proven yet

And no laser has been proven. Not one! For permanent hair removal.

Once again, click the provided link above.

Mantaray,

Your logic is so poor. By the same token, my wife went to an electrolysis practitioner for several painful sessions. After a few months she saw no results. So if we use your logic, we should all stand up and proclaim that electrolysis is a farce because of this one instance.

On the other hand, she had laser a couple years later and is very happy with her permanent results and that was six years ago. So she can stand up and say “it has been proven”. Yeah, you’ll say that the FDA says that’s impossible, so she must be lying and she should go crawl in a hole.

I’ve had good luck with both. Oops, laser hasn’t been proven so I guess I’ll get all my hair back 30 years from now.

Get real man. Get off your incorrect soapbox. Laser does work under the right conditions AND, electrolysis does not work under improper conditions. And guess what, visa versa too.

All you are doing is irritating those in the know with your “unsupported by reality” laser bashing.