Electrolysis nightmare... pls help

Well it is skin a year after treatment haha. Hate to say it!! I had just washed/exfoliated (gentle exfoliation, nothing crazy I don’t think?) my face prior to the pictures, so maybe that’s why it looks super red, in the mornings it doesn’t look quite as red as this. Though the dents and things are always there.

Noted.

Yeah I mean, I’m sure I haven’t helped it much by shaving it every day. Once a day. I find when I switch from a regular razor to an electric one the redness calms down some, though. I use this shaving lotion/cream specific for ladies with facial hair, with all the nice things for your skin in it when I use a regular razor. vitamin e and shea butter and aloe. and some other stuff. nothing irritating, as far as I know. I do my best to be gentle about it, no added pressure and all that. And then I just put organic shea butter straight from africa on it. and witch hazel. that’s it. but through the years I’ve tried a lot of different things, but I tend to stay away from acids bc my skin is so sensitive. No Retin-A or anything, never tried that. I usually go with organic aloe vera, recently I’ve tried niacinimide? but haven’t used that lately.

But I’m admittedly a legit psycho about removing the hair, (shaving) and try to get it to even FEEL like there’s nothing growing, so, I’m sure I’m massacring my skin by doing so. I’m probably not going to file a claim bc I’m sure most of it is my fault, esp after reading your guys’ comments.

I just wipe it with a towel gently to exfoliate, is that very bad? Idk. I’m sure shaving exfoliates it too? So that’s probably not good. I’ll totally stop if you guys think that’s the best thing for it. I’m gonna upload a picture tomorrow morning to show you what it looks like when it hasn’t been touched for like 24-36 hrs. I guess the first few photos are misleading bc I had just washed/exfoliated like 30 mins prior. Sorry!!!

But I really feel like I can’t go without shaving it or I’ll lose my mind. I’ve been removing hair from that area for years and years. Since I was 18. I’m 33 now. I used to do it in any way possible when I was younger, but in recent years, the past TEN years or so, I’ve been strictly shaving. Nothing more, as I think the avid plucking I was doing prior to that really damaged it as well. So, the truth comes out lol. I really haven’t realized all of this COMPLETELY FULL CIRCLE until now, it is mostly my fault!!! Damn. I’ve been really damaging it all along. It just didnt’ look NEARLY as bad until I got electrolysis. It really didn’t. Not like this. I just didn’t expect it to get WORSE from the treatments I received. But I think that the pitting mostly came from the electrolysis, and the redness/inflamation is my own fault. I just want to do whatever it takes to get it back to semi-normal, hopefully there’s something, anything I can do.

So I need to just chill out, don’t I? I really have a serious problem with it. Thanks for all your advice. Sorry for misleading you guys with the initial pictures/information, I haven’t really thought about all of this all together until reading your comments. Like, DUH. obviously I’ve been ruining it, only worrying about the HAIR and not the skin itself, until it’s almost too late?!!! Sheesh.

by saying I’m a psycho about it, I just mean that I HAVE To do it every day, or I feel absolutely disgusting. I really do try to be gentle with it though. Always have. I don’t apply pressure or anything when I shave or exfoliate and I do it fairly slowly. And only once a day. But I do do it every day, which is probably too much.

also, the last two pics are a few days after my last treatment.

This is it in the AM and I did not exfoliate last nite. Ughhhhhh

You can count the large scab out tho. I also obv don’t mess w that one at all. From the skin tag I had removed on the 10th

Re-read your original post again. The answer to this question is no, Erin, assuming the mole looked like the one above it. Electrolysis is fabulous for removing hair from moles, but doesn’t cause them.
Are you still communicating with your electrologist with 40 years of experience about your concerns?

No it looked nothing like the one above it. It was gnarly af. Looked like a large cherry angioma but the cosmetic dermatologist said it was “way beyond that.”

And no I’m not still communicating with her. My friend who referred me to her has had the same issues just on a lesser scale. Feels like her skin was damaged too. Idk. I’m sure I’ve damaged mine mostly myself tho.

So, and I ask this rhetorically … what exactly are you trying to achieve by “exfoliating” your skin?

why the quotations? are you assuming I don’t know what exfoliation is? lol. I just wear makeup to cover up the redness and I feel like it looks better when I “exfoliate.” I know now that I’m probably not achieving anything other than ruining it. Obviously, I want it to look better than it does. I have a derma wand and I had just started using it and then I got pregnant. I feel like it was actually helping with all of the issues I’m facing. I’m almost 8 months pregnant now. and it isn’t safe for use in pregnancy. So when I give birth, I’ll resume using it and hopefully it’ll continue helping.

Starting to feel like I’ve just embarrassed myself more than anything, so, I’ll just get professional help from a dermatologist and ease up on the ‘exfoliation.’ Thanks for your time and advice.

No … you’re doing just fine. Technically, I should not have put quotes on exfoliation. So, I apologize. I often use quotes for emphasis … and that’s a mistake in grammar.
My question is … I ask because it fascinates me … what do people think they are achieving when they exfoliate? I mean, there is an entire profession built around the idea. The development of the micro-dermabrasion machines is, by the way, quite interesting. And, those manufacturing the units? Well, that’s even more interesting! BTW, there are certain benefits as well … I’m not knocking it. Just curious.

Don’t say sue, because most Electrologist’s may not have adequate coverage. The Electrologist May pay for dermatologist or skin resurfacing out of pocket., I know I would instead of ligation. So you should reach out to the Electrologist’s to see if you can get a remedy, before filing lawsuit.

If your skin is super sensitive. Why do you do Electrolysis?
Did you visit the doctor? if not you should visit quickly.
The only thing you will get here is free advice. So better visit the doctor asap. And if these things don’t suit you there are multiple options. Get some natural skin and hair care products from Sephora and use them.

Hi Xavier … I wonder what happened to this client?

I backed-off from offering suggestions because I sensed some misdirected hostility in the client. One comment “but I’m admittedly a legit psycho about removing the hair …“ is most likely a factor in this person’s difficulty. I have had clients that overly (mis)treat their skin following a treatment; and cause more problems for themselves.

My guess is that, if she took our suggestions and left her skin alone, her skin returned to normal and there are virtually no problems. What she was doing, with all her post-op procedures, was making the inflammation worse. And, of course the skin is going to look worse.

2 Likes

I did ease up on my skin and it looks way better!!! I stopped exfoliating every day and have been a lot kinder to it in general and, it has worked. I also got some Niacid from Slurp Labs and it has really helped. Thanks for your time and suggestions. I didn’t realize my skin was too sensitive for electrolysis until it was too late. I thought about at least calling her back and asking her what I should do, or if she had any suggestions for the scarring, because my face IS scarred from her ‘treatment.’ I wish I’d have taken pictures during, because the amount of scabbing/sebum or whatever that was on my face from the first few treatments was unreal and not normal. I should have known better!!! But I’m feeling a lot better about the situation in general, since my skin is indeed healing, slowly but surely.

You’re sweet Erin and thanks for the update. Looking at your photos my educated guess is that you will have no long-term problems or scars. Best Wishes from old uncle Mikey.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right.

1 Like