Electrolysis...need clarification

Hi! Trying to decide if electrolysis would be best for me. I’ve read a lot of info here, but still have questions. I’m female, a mix of polynesian & caucasian, so I tan very easily, rarely sunburn & hair is dark. My coloring is similar to people of Mexican/Latin descent. Interested in having upper lip done. I currently wax & tweeze, which has caused pigmentation problems, to the point where my skin grays when I’m in the sun. I’ve ruled out laser, if it’s not gauranteed permanent, I don’t want to waste time & money & my skin can’t take much more possible damage. I understand the need to find someone skilled and with lots of experience.
#1: On average, someone w/my description, how many treatments would that area take, using the Blend method?

#2: I understand facial hair can be or is mainly hormonal. Does taking birth control have any effect while receiving treatments?

#3: In regards to pigmentation, will electrolysis make my situation worse?

#4: Andrea, I read in one your posts in 9/02, it can take a year or years to see scarring resulting from electrolysis (done improperly, I assumne). Does this mean, you don’t necessarily see what your skin or actual results are til years later?

#5: With electrolysis, I understand it can possibly make dormant follicles produce hair. I do have facial hair, but only want upper lip done. Will this just lead to more & more needed electrolysis after completing the initial area I went in for?

Last question:
When a area is completed (facial area), does it leave a definition (borders) or evidence that work was done in that area? And do people’s pores eventually go back to normal (generally speaking) after completeing treatment plan?

I’m sorry to bombard people, but I can’t find these answers in relation to what I want to have done. Appreciate your answers!! Would love to read other’s experiences with the upper lip area.
Thank you.

noway, the lip is such a small area

I think i’m gunna start telling females that i see with the stach to go and get it electro’d

and the professionals are just so careful you’d be perfectly safe.

I plan on makin another call to a different elecrolysis professional real soon for a few stray hairs on my nose…lol! hehe.

I recommend tryin different people because it’s interesting i think

Welcome htl734!

OK, let’s see here. To answer your questions:

#1: On average, someone w/my description, how many treatments would that area take, using the Blend method?

You would need to go for 6 to 18 months, probably once or twice a month, for 15 to 30 minutes. This is a total guesstimate, since there are too many variables and I haven’t seen you in person.

#2: I understand facial hair can be or is mainly hormonal. Does taking birth control have any effect while receiving treatments?

Birth control may have a minimal effect, but most hair is hereditary. Hormones can cause increases, but the main cause is courtesy of mom and dad!

#3: In regards to pigmentation, will electrolysis make my situation worse?

You may be more prone to discoloration than some women. Electrolysis that is done improperly may cause discoloration. I strongly recommend doiong a test patch on uouir hand or away from your face to see how your skin responds, rather than jumping right in on the middle of your face. It is vital that you avoid any sun for a week or two before and after epilation.

#4: Andrea, I read in one your posts in 9/02, it can take a year or years to see scarring resulting from electrolysis (done improperly, I assumne). Does this mean, you don’t necessarily see what your skin or actual results are til years later?

This is especially true of overtreatment with thermolysis, which may not show up until years later. That’s one of many reasons it’s important to go to someone with lots of experience who is recommended by someone done and happy.

#5: With electrolysis, I understand it can possibly make dormant follicles produce hair. I do have facial hair, but only want upper lip done. Will this just lead to more & more needed electrolysis after completing the initial area I went in for?

It is unlikely that electrolysis or laser will cause more growth, although it has been reported from low energy levels.

Last question:
When a area is completed (facial area), does it leave a definition (borders) or evidence that work was done in that area? And do people’s pores eventually go back to normal (generally speaking) after completeing treatment plan?

Your skin will be red and puffy for a few hours to a day. Some people get tiny white pimple-like things or tiny scabs after treatment. These go away, but you should not pick at these. If you do, you can get scarring or discoloration. If you do get these and let them heal, there should be almost no evidence.

Once your treatment is complete, the only evidence may be nearly invisible scars the size of a sweat gland. Only you will be able to see them unless you tend to scar very darkly or get keloids. In those cases, you may need to use a mild corrective product to even your skin tone. In noticeable cases, you may need to see a dermatologist for option to reduce noticeable discoloration.

That may all sound scary, but if you choose a very good practitioner and avoid sun during treatment, you should end up fine. There are no guarantees, though.

Let me know if I can be of any more help! :smile:

Andrea -
Thank you vey much for your time & great advice.
I appreciate you answering all my questions! I was just about to see a electrologist for a consultation. I will take your advice & do a patch test somewhere other than my face. I have to take care of this permanently. I just can’t imagine continuing to carry the daily shame & humiliation. It’s leaving me weary, emotionally & mentally.
I can’t commend you enough on this web-site, you and many of your faithful contributors really are helping a lot of people in so many ways. Thank you. :smile:

I’m very glad I could help.

Be sure to read the tips on choosing an electrologist, too!

http://www.hairfacts.com/tips/zapchoose.html

Please keep us posted on your progress!