Electrolysis journey, feeling discouraged

Hello Ihatehair,
i want to encourage you, and it’s very bothering to me that you are feeling discouraged .So I’d like to talk to you a little bit about cycles of growth.
Hair grows in cycles, and the approximate length of one hair cycle, is approximately 4-7 months, but more commonly 4-6 months So When you start electrolysis , you literally, an go thrugh the entirety of the first six months of treatment, and still never treat the same follicle twice. This is why I generally tell most people to not expect a huge improvement , but that after 6-8 months of consstently treating all the visible hair, then they may see some improvement, and that improvement gets more pronounced as time goes by.
So I’m noting the time frames, and you are still within that six month period. , but we’ve also had the complication of a 2-3 month forced pause in your treatment, due to the covid 19 epidemic. LEt me agree with you, that this is not ideal. I however have had many clients pause treatment for a month or two for any number of reasons, perhaps finances, or a trip overseas, a new child in the home, many many other reasons. In general wile it does somewhat delay progress, we still get there in the end and resolve the problem.
Everything in your account points to positive and productive treatments, you’ve stated yourself the hairs release easily and without traction and from your report, your electrologist appears to be an expert in their field and utilizing advanced techniques.

Yes the Covid-19 pandemic came at unfortunate time.There are likely MILLIONS of electrolysis clients facing exactly the same thing right now. But you WILL still get there, and you seem to be absolutely on the right path.And so too are the millions of other electrolysis clients who are consistent with their treatments.

MEnatlly, it’s a really tough pill to swallow for some. I’ve spent most of the last few days consulting with new clients DESPERATE for their first treatment, and for some of them, this can mean the difference between their abiity to cope at all. Unfortunately, I’m aware of at least one transperson who has recently taken their life recently, because of all things, they couldnt live with the hair on their face and the resultant dysphoria. I wish they didnt consider what we as electrologists do as “non-essential” because I can tell you that for some, it’s not only essential but a necessity to face daily life.

If you need to shave or similar during the pandemic as a way to get by, DO IT. Dont feel any guilt about this. We will be there to support you as electrologists the SECOND that we are legally permitted to do so. In some places int he US , I uderstand electrolysis has already begun again. Hang in there, we’re close to the end, you are worth it, and you will overcome. You are taking EXACTLY the right path to get there too.

6 Likes

Is that mean that they did one session per a month or more/less ?

I’m not hairadicator, but I will say, as well, that most people are 90% done by month 12 if the strategy is correct for the first six months. However, there is more to be done when you reach that 90% mark, but It totally depends on many factors specific to your genetics. we always hope for an easy scenario, but we can’t guarantee that every case will follow the easiest path. The face can take two years or more if there is a lot of hair and the hormones are lively. If you don’t get cleared of bothersome hair every time, then you need more frequent appointments. It can take many, many hours and several sessions for some cases. Give it as much time as needed. Stay loyal. We can’t measure how long it will take to finish the face for everybody because each case is different. We can only speak in generalities.

Not necessarily. Each case is different.

Thanks for replying with your encouraging words everyone.
I’ve been feeling so down. I took pictures before I started electrolysis, during electrolysis and current. I stopped electrolysis end of Feb. The pictures I took end of March, the hairs were so fine and there was nowhere near the amount that I have now.I looked like I was making some real improvement, and now 2 months later, I look the same as before I started electrolysis. Are all these new hairs that came in within the past 2 months making me look like I did before I ever started electrolysis?

1 Like

dont give up :heart: Just keep looking at all the success stories on here to remind you it will all be worth it, remember it will only be 1-2 years maximum and you will be done!! no more daily shaving.
even when it doesnt seem like youre making progress it should be working if you dont feel the hair being plucked out.

2 Likes

There are a lot of success stories. I assume that if I don’t hear from clients after two years, they were successful. I would love it if I got a text or email from a finished client years later, telling me they are still stable and happy. I only know that they are in good shape if they come back to do another area later on.

The face is / can be very hormonal, so on a persons life timeline, touch ups will be needed, most likely.

Body work stays stable and hardly ever needs any attention.

2 Likes

Looking your before and after pictures I can tell you that you ARE MAKING PROGRESS. Just stay on schedule and you will see big reduction in next couple of months. To have good results, the electrologists has to take into account and consider many parameters, which for each person vary a lot. You can look at this tread to see how many different parameters are involved in one electrolysis treatment:

Dimi

2 Likes

Hi ihatehair84,
speaking as a professional and looking at the information you’ve given it seems to me that your treatment has been progressing well. Getting full clearance is the first main achievement: after that it’s just a matter of keeping up regular maintenance until all the hairs are gone. The number of hairs you are capable of producing over a cycle is quite a surprise to most clients as most are removing them daily (shaving, plucking etc) before starting electrolysis, if you left them for a full three months (average cycle length) you would see the true amount. So although you have been attending for some time each hair will only have had two, maybe three treatments in that period. Some will die first time, others will weaken gradually depending on several factors, so patience and dedication is required on both sides. But don’t give up! I have been successfully eradicating hair growth for over thirty years now and not one client has ever said ‘I wish I’d never started electrolysis’. Always ‘why didn’t I have this years ago?’. And don’t forget, shaving cuts off the top of the hair leaving a big blunt edge that makes growth look heavier: the lockdown is frustrating for us all but you will get there! x

1 Like

I want to take hair removal treatment for my hands, face, and legs, etc. Is this electrolysis method is good for me? Also, this hair removal treatment is good for health. Experienced ones please share your feelings.

Since the last time I posted, I managed to get 3 more hours of electrolysis. I haven’t shaved or anything (wearing mask covers the embarrassment when I’m out the house). The course hair is now fine dark hair but still a lot! I’ve had a total of 12 hours overall since I started sept 2019. I’m trying to be patient but when I see the amount of hair that comes in within 2-3 weeks of last session…and I read how others get amazing results on here or on yelp reviews, I start wondering when will I see an end.

So that averages out to about less than an hour a month of treatment time. Not so great.

Every time you see your electrologist, it would be advantageous for her to remove all the coarse and medium hairs. Wipe the “chalkboard” clean every time you lie on the table. Go home and heal and wait for the next group of NEW hairs to emerge. You will see NEW hair in about 2 or 3 weeks, but if you can wait 6 weeks to have another session, that’s even better. Keep doing this plan for about 6-9 months and you will definitely know that you are being helped. GET CLEARED OF EVERY COARSE AND MEDIUM HAIR, ALONG WITH LONG THIN HAIR EVERY TIME YOU GO IN, IF POSSIBLE. If your electrologist won’t or can’t do that, then schedule weekly appointments in the beginning to get a first, full clearance as soon as possible. YOU SHOULD NOT FEEL TUGGING, TRACTION, OR PULLING or you are being tweezed.

You have not put in enough time and by what I see in the picture it does not surprise or concern me when you say that you have only invested 12 hours since Sept. of 2019. Your amazing review will come if you go forward as if your life depended on it. If your electrologist is highly skilled and passionate enough to be your new best friend through this amazingly transforming permanent hair removal journey, you will also see amazing results. Give her a chance to help you by giving her more time and staying on a well-defined schedule.

2 Likes

My electrologist removes all the hairs every time I have a session. She doesn’t leave any hairs behind. So every time I see her she is treating the new hairs coming in. Sometimes she clears it in 30 minutes, sometimes it takes her an hour depending on how much growth I have but I do see her every 3-4 weeks (except when she was closed for 3 months). Last session was on 07/11, we had a 30 minute session where she cleared all the hairs, I left with smooth chin/cheek. The picture above shows the amount of growth I’ve had since that session…so 3 weeks of new hairs. I feel like it’s a lot of growth coming in every 2-3 weeks. I know you said it’s to be expected to get NEW hairs every 2-3 weeks but when will it end??

09/06/19 30 minutes
09/12/19 30 minutes
09/19/19 30 minutes
10/03/19 60 minutes
11/01/19 45 minutes
11/12/19 45 minutes
REACHED 1ST CLEARANCE

12/4/19 45 minutes cleared all new hair
12/21/19 60 minutes cleared all new hair
01/16/20 60 minutes cleared all new hair
02/4/20 60 minutes cleared all new hair
02/28/20 70 minutes cleared all new hair
STOPPED: SHELTER IN PLACE

05/12 90 min cleared all chin hairs
05/23 30 min cleared cheeks and any new chin growth
06/20 30 min cleared all new hairs
07/11 30 min cleared all new hairs

Also, I’ve been wondering…when 2 electrologists both perform blend method, why is one electrologist quick compared to another in removing hairs. In both cases, there is no tweezing/pulling of the hair and skin heals fine after but 1 electrologist spends longer time treating each follicle than another. Does it depend on the machine they use? Does treating each hair follicle for a longer period of time make it better in destroying the hair the first time around?

I’ve been having electrolysis done for 25 years. Can anyone give me any ideas why it isn’t working? I go about once every four to six weeks (all I can afford). Thanks!

well that would be why…

Electrolysis normally takes an AVERAGE (not minimum/maximum) of 12-18 months to finish. Looking at the spacing and length of your appointments it looks like it is working. Bear in mind that you lost 2 months + 2 weeks by sheltering in place. Treatment wise you are only 8 months in.

What would be why? How often I go, even after 25 years?

It takes 12-24 months, depending on many variables to finish this, as long as you not tweezing and the electrologist is treating the hair follicle completely, with the proper amount of energy and timing, so the hair slides out with NO TRACTION. You have been going for less than a year and Covid-19 has cut you out of 3 months worth of treatments.

You are on track now, so keep moving forward. Twelve hours is not enough time for most facial cases to be completed. Stay true to the plan and stay patient.

Well, I’ll tell my story so far, I don’t know if it will encourage you, but sometimes it helps to hear more from others. I’m inland a bit in the Sacramento area, so we’re distant neighbors. I’m 35, I have PCOS, ultrasound confirmed, and same as you I’m on the higher-end of normal for ladies for androgen levels.

Laser has never worked for me, and made my facial hair even worse. I later read this is in fact the common response to Laser for facial hair–which made me really annoyed that I dutifully dropped 800$ and stayed on schedule, but yeah… here I am. LHR did have some effectiveness on my feet (I call myself the Sicilian Hobbit, it’s easier to laugh at yourself sometimes)

I just started electrolysis for my face, and I am doing one session per month (session 2 was today), my electrologist doesn’t see an issue with that schedule.

It is not a comfortable experience for me at all. I numb my skin and take Tylenol beforehand; though my skin does seem to recover within about an hour after the session. Do you have to hold onto a ground the full session too? I always thought that was slightly off-putting.

My first session not all my hairs had grown out, so she cleared all the hair in about 45 mins. On the second I walked in with almost more hair than the first time and spooked my electrologist. She thought I had been plucking on her, but she was able to clear the hairs though in 30 minutes and then dealt with some unruly eyebrow hair, my vampire peak and side burns. So we’re going to move onto other areas in our next session of 45 minutes. Sicilian + PCOS = Hairy Arms too, the genetic gifts are endless…

I know you said you trust your electrologist, but perhaps snag an appointment with another vendor for a full session. I’m getting a second vendor to start on another area–as my electrologist will only do face, armpits and arms. I’m done with LHR, I no longer trust it.