Electrolysis help (burned?)

Hi! I would appreciate to know your point of view.

I’ve been doing laser hair removal on my face for a year. Six months ago thicker and longer hairs started growing from nowhere. They recommended to keep going but it didn’t improve. Back in October I already looked for a place to perform electrolysis but they refused, saying that it was not worth the “damage”. If it helps, I’m based in Barcelona (Spain).

I looked for another place and two weeks ago I had my first electrolysis session 30 min, face (I grown an excess of hairs after doing the laser hair removal there), and areolas.

The areolas were fine, but the face was red, swollen and really dry. I took an antihistaminic and put on LRP cicaplast baume B5. After a week I started to look better. I went to the dermatologist, and she said it looked like rosacea and recommended azelaic acid (acmed) and bioderma sebium sensitive.

Yesterday I had my second session, only face, 30 min. After reading your posts, I asked the woman to turn down the power. Tonight has been terrible, my skin itched a lot and started leaking a translucent liquid from the area next to the upper lips. Today I can’t even open my mouth to eat from the tightness. I’m attaching a couple of pictures but it looks worse in real life.

I have scheduled an appointment for the 8th of January… What do you think it is and how could I manage it? Will it leave permanent scars? What can I do to avoid an infection?

Thank you, you’ll save my life.

Quick update, it’s infected! The doctor has prescribed me a topical antibiotic. I’ll stop going to that center.

2 Likes

It’s unfortunate that you’ve been let down by two clinics. One that insists they would “damage” you and another that has overtreated. This is not a typical of an acceptable result from electrolysis. It’s good that you’ve been able to see a doctor and are on the road to recovery.

Thanks for your reply! I bring a little update for those looking for answers or at least a bit of hope. I applied the antibiotic cream for 10 days, after that period all the treated hairs had already grown back. I waited a bit for the skin to stop peeling off and then looked for another professional in different city. I had my first session with her last Wednesday and the feeling was very different. It wasn’t painful and I could smell the “burned” hairs. She explained everything to me quite well, and said that even the thinner “peach fuzz” hairs could be treated with patience. My skin got swollen the next 2h, but the following day was PERFECT! I applied silvederma (a cream to treat burned skin) and that’s all.
I’ll try to schedule a monthly session with this professional (it’s pretty far from where I live and I have to combine it with work) I think it will be worth it.

Good luck!

1 Like

A little rough, but will heal fine. Don’t treat again until it is healed.

I encourage my clients to come with clean skin. I insist that they wash the skin with soap and water. Most comply and a few walk in with makeup. Make sure the electrologist washes her hands before putting on her gloves. Her gloved hands should stay within the treatment zone. She shouldn’t be answering the phone or touching doorknobs or anything else. Before you leave the office, an antiseptic should be used on your newly treated skin, then dabs of tea tree oil, followed by cold-pressed organic aloe vera gel applied right over the tea tree oil. When you go home, take care to keep the area clean and dry for at least three days. I don’t know what kind of aftercare your electrologist recommended, but know that you will have tiny open wounds for 24-48 hours, so take care not to do anything that will introduce bacteria.

Most important is to show your electrologist your photo’s. Maybe she can refine a few things.

Know that the first 5-6 clearances may be the toughest for skin healing, so don’t freak out about some redness, swelling or some white pustules. Nothing to worry about. With the information you provided that’s about the best general advice I can offer.