Electrolysis failed on sensitive upper lip

So I had electrolysis done on my upper lip for about 10 sessions or so, 5-10 minutes each. I noticed my lip wasnt reacting well it would get very red, form pinpoint scabs and leave hyperpigmentation marks. I decided to quit going to that electrologist and pluck and wax the hairs instead. I started more treatments with another lady but i still see those darn black stray hairs popping up. Other people say they cant see them but I can. I dont want to shave as I dont want stubble. Please help me find a method that will over time elimate my dark hairs after failed electroysis, thanks!

I’m sorry to hear you have been having problems!

The hair growth cycle on the upper lip can be very slow (up to 22 weeks), and only about 1/3 of the hairs in any area are actively growing at any given time. That means that you may have to do as much as 66 weeks to get through a full cycle of all hairs.

Plucking will just prolong the process, so if you can afford it, set a regular schedule to get the hairs treated. The good news is that you won’t need as much energy to kill the hairs as you proceed, so the side effects won’t be as bad later on.

I know it’s frustrating, but having a plan and sticking to it is the best option.

1 Like

Okay thank you. The lady im going to is going to try the lowest setting and only do a few hairs to see how I react. If it doesnt go well what would be my best option to keep the hairs from coming in more thick and darker? I dont want to leave them there. What about waxing, threading, or hair removal creams? I should let you know i used to wax and pluck for about 5 years before I decided to get electrolysis because i got tired of waxing. Thanks again!

You don’t say if you are using any pain relieving creams or medications. From my personal and professional experience, this can help immensely.

1 Like

I’ll be honest here.

You’re being too precious. If you would like to see permanent results, you need to continue and commit to electrolysis. Waxing and plucking the hairs will only prolong this process, so only continue to do those if you want temporary removal.

You should expect a skin reaction with electrolysis, but you may be able to lessen it with your next electrologist. Redness is normal, pinpoint scabbing is normal though not necessary for facial work, as is hyperpigmentation. These reactions are temporary and the visual appearance can be reduced with make-up.

No I have not I’ve just been putting rosehip oil and taking vitamin C capsules. Which pain relieving cream or medications have you used or do you recommend?

I discuss some creams here:

Here are some other options:

It is normal for electrolysis treatments to result in TEMPORARY redness, swelling and on occasion hyper pigmentation. If you are unwilling to put up with normal temporary side effects, you are not a good candidate for the procedure. Working at the lowest possible energy setting is a precursor to failure.

1 Like