Electrolysis certification what all it covers

I have an electrolysis certificate for 600hrs. In that time at school we did basic cleansing facials and waxing (face only) I just want to be sure that I can imply these basic services in my practice?? I’m in NY

I’m confused. I assume that you also learned electrolysis at school … not just facials and waxing? I don’t believe that New York has licensing for the services you are performing (including electrolysis). So, sure, you can do facials and waxing too.

HI there,
A few questions for you?
For clarification sake… do you only have the 600 hours electrology training or did you take an esthetics course and/or cosmetology course or some sort of combo class?
That additional info can help us lead you in the right direction.

Also you state you are in NY… can you tell us what state you took your course(s) in? Some states have reciprocity agreements and some don’t.
So that may affect the answer you’re given :slightly_smiling_face:

I should mention it does look like if you are practicing in NY you must be an esthetician or cosmetologist to perform facials. As those professions are licensed in NY NY GOV website

Yes I’m in NY and with the 600hr electrolysis course I completed
We also got training on waxing and steam cleaning facials. I was told I can incorporate these services im trying to determine if thats the case as I can’t get a straight answer from NY GOV there are clients that want all the hair on face gone but can’t bare the upper lip and would just like that done while at my location and I think I should be able to?

Well, if your own regional authority in NY can’t give you a straight answer, I don’t think you will get an authoritative answer here either. I would give Bette Devito a call … (Mamaroneck) … she’ll probably have the answer for you. Bette is an esthetician and electrologist; big practice.

I appreciate that thank you for your time and thoughts :blush:

From my own esthetics knowledge (I’ve been a licensed esthetician in the state of WA for 8 years) I believe all 50 states have cosmetology / esthetics licensing. We have to obtain those licenses so we can legally perform facials. So logically it would not make sense that your electrology license alone would give you the clearance to perform them.

I know of no state that allows non-licensed individuals to perform facials except for Connecticut… if that was the case then people would skip the licensing requirement all together.

This page seems to verify that for New York. The page also has an email address. My advice as a business owner to you… I would highly suggest you explain clearly that you have electrology credentials but do not have an esthetics or cosmetology license and they should respond with your answer but from everything on their websites it does look like you do. But I encourage you to do your own due diligence to cover your butt legally.

Also whatever insurance provider you use will likely let you know because they will likely ask for your license # before they even cover you!

Good luck! Esthetics and electrology are like peanut butter and jelly so if you have to get your esthetics license they will complement each other very well.

1 Like