Electrolysis anesthetic help

Hi there,

I have been reading everything I can find on the forums regarding anesthetics that can be used during electrolysis to reduce or eliminate the pain, but am unsure which options are open to me.

I am currently undergoing treatment on my underarms, and in the long term want my entire body treated (except the scalp, eyebrows and eyelashes). This is taking up a lot of my time and I would like to be able to do something useful, such as reading my textbooks, during the sessions - but currently I am wincing the whole way through and unable to concentrate properly on anything. There’s only one electrologist in my local area, and they don’t use anesthetic.

I have EMLA cream and have started using it before a session, and whilst it makes a tiny difference I find it rather ineffective. I have read that there are certain methods of application that make EMLA work better, though…

I also read about petroleum-based topical called ‘Epil-EZ’ recommended by a website called transgendercare.com, but the site seems to offer no advice on how to actually obtain and use it, which is rather infuriating as, from their description, it sounds extremely effective. I know there was a topic posted on these forums about it, but that was quite a few years ago - does anyone know any more about it?

A local anesthetic injection, something I’ve had many times before and had no problems with, would be ideal I suppose, but it’s completely impractical to try and arrange one with a doctor before every electrolysis session. I would be very reluctant to attempt an injection of an anesthetic such as Mepivacaine (Carbocaine) myself without detailed instruction from a doctor, because I know to avoid the serious risks you have to be very precise in terms of injection depth, avoiding veins etc (though I suppose I could ask detailed advice on these injections from a family member of mine who is a doctor - all the same, I’d consider it a last resort).

Any advice and/or suggestions?

Ahh, electrolysis with local, is there anything better(?) However, your electrologist would have to be experienced in performing the work with the changes that infiltration causes. So even though I could suggest that you and your electrologist perhaps approach a private doctor, or dentist to set up numbing the area immediately before a session… it requires more thought than that and probably training on the part of your electrologist.

In regards to EMLA, it does take the edge off and make treatment bearable. It should be applied ideally, more than an hour before your session. A thick layer should be applied with a spatula and then tightly occluded with cling film. I’ve tried this with going about my business but because of the area, the cling film doesn’t stay in place the EMLA spreads around and therefore the area did numb… If you can bear lying with one arm above your head for more than hour, and your electrologist has somewhere that you can wait like this, you could have the EMLA applied at her office and wait.

I must have very seriously damaged skin from laser, because I have to be honest, I barely feel my electrolysis. I’ve had practitioners comment on this.
The problem with most topical anesthetics, is the hair folicle produces something called calogen from some of it’s glans. It’s basically an oily substance, and it coats the folicle. This actually prevents most topical anesthetics from coming into contact with the nerve endings you are trying to prevent from being stimulated.
After doing some recent reading, I’m starting to believe I may NEVER perform any blend or thermolysis. I’ve had some thermolysis done, and I have to admit that despite the practitioners extreme skill, 90% of the hair from that is back 6-8 weeks later. That said however…
Some machines, being the more advanced computerized units desensitize the area by giving a short burst of energy that effectively desensitizing the nerve endings before the actual treatment dose.It’s the type of equippment that I have been worked on with ( A silouette tone VMC) and it may explain why I hardly feel the treatment. I’m unsure whether this short burst is in galvonic, or thermolysis mode.

Seana

Of course it looks like most of the hair comes back 6 to 8 weeks later, that is the next phase of hair growth.

If you took a before treatment picture, and an after treatment picture, and then waited a year, to take another picture, you would see what got accomplished on that treatment day. We discuss this in depth in the DIY string called growth cycles.

There are several things you might be able to do.

1. PFB is a topical that makes skin feel a little “buzzy.” Using galvanic and vibration might help this penetrate the skin a little. Sometimes product acts as much as a placebo as actually works.
  2. Soft music (or loud crazy music with head phones) can relax/distract you.
  3. Watching a movie, or figuring out a way to read.
  4. Finding that “zone” where you relax and step outside yourself.

Things worth trying.

Hi Toro, what part of Australia are you from? :slight_smile:

Emilily - I’m from South East Melbourne.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. :slight_smile:

Hi Toro, I’m from Adelaide, currently living in Sydney and going to Clinical Electrolysis which is really great. They use the Apilus Platinum machine and it’s really good.
Thermolysis seems to be much less painful, so far, than the blend treatment I received in Adelaide. It may be worth seeking out a place with good technology as it really does seem to make a huge difference to pain levels.

Only thing I can think of that’s really easy is taking a couple of panadol before a session. The creams, etc, seem much too messy!