Electrolysis and PCOS- Feeling discouraged and hopeless

Hello.
I began my electrolysis journey back in early 2021. I am 26 and for years I waxed my face and neck because of my hirsutism caused by PCOS. I read about electrolysis and was always far too afraid to try it until I just couldn’t take it anymore. I found an electrolysist and they began treating my facial hair. I was super excited at first. The pain was very tolerable and I hadn’t seen my face that clear. It gave me hope, though within a week the hair had grown back. I knew this was a process and did not expect results immediately, however, after a year and a half of treatments (30 minutes each I believe there have been around 60 sessions) I am still not finding any results. My hair is still very course and a lot of it especially on the neck is popping out of the skin within 5 days of treatment. There are times when I don’t feel the electricity of from the needle and I’ll feel the hair coming out- I know that is a bad sign, but I don’t know what to say or do. It’s not all the time, but the hairs on my neck are very very course and stubborn. I just am not sure what to do. People say they can go weeks and months between appointments but I can’t even make it a week with out hair reappearing. I feel like a complete failure and feel so hopeless and ugly. I would try going to a different place but unfortunately where I live there the next closest one would be 3 hours away.

Does anyone have any advice or know how long their treatment took on their neck to actually start calming down with PCOS.

I’m sorry if this sounds whiny. I just am having a really difficult time with this.

Good place to start

sorry but that time frame is misleadingly short. .In my experience, I havent seen any case finish in 8 months, and with a hormonal influence like PCOS it is often much longer than the usual 18 months.

1 Like

I mean… a common treatment time by Electroloysis is USUAL MINIMUM 8 Month up to 17/18 Months (Most common 12)

How long it by PCOS need , i dont know. Sorry if its missleading.

But i think also it depends on Case.
I mean i saw cases…they have litterarly by pcos a full beard.

I guess… in this case it need longer than 18 months.

But saw also like PCOS by them its not this much , not nearly.

Interesting.
Could you tell me how many cases you have completed start to finish…in 8 months?
It generally takes the best electrologists in the world at least 3 full cycles of growth to permanently clear any area. The average length of a cycle of growth is about 5-6 months for most of the face. Additionally, that 3 hair growth cycle minimum only applies when we treat all hair in all stages of growth ( anagen catagen and telogen) which precludes things like shaving. It’s a rare PCOS sufferer who can entirelly keep from shaving and get full clearances with every treatment.
Above all, there is usually a FINANCIAL consideration and one of time for the patient, and the electrologist ( meaning they cant always afford, or recieve , enough treatment to clear all hair in all cycles of growth within every growth cycle) so in general this process is spread out over a longer period.
Giving a client an expectation that their issue will be resolved in such a short period of time, and omitting that this only happens in ideal circumstances , and that the majority of PCOS sufferers undergo electrolysis for 3 or more years ( living within their means and scheduling) and very much stressing that this is the MINIMUM and they should not set their expectation to meet that timeline, is essentially leading them on in my opinion.
I prefer to prepare my clients for the most likely outcome so they dont have expectations they wont be able to realize.

With sufferers of PCOS, I take the time to stress the importance of undergoing treatment for their condition. This is the most important aspect that affects length of treatment. Without bringing the condition under control, follicles that have never generated a hair before, will continue to be stimulated to do so making the electrolysis process in some of these cases, never-ending.

Seana

1 Like

You get me Wrong, i think.

I dont mean on MOST AREA. Of Course in Average you need +/- 1 Year up to this 17/18 Months(or 2-3 Years by PCOS), in hard cases for Areas, like Facial hairs…Armpits… Back…Bellly…Chest…Pubes.Butt… Shoulder…Neck…Arms…Legs , like most Areas on a human body. I Aggree.

It exist Areas on your body , they Need General Less Treatment time , but it are Just few Areas (Small Areas) also indivuel

Also male Finger Hairs … also a Area who need less Treatments , but less hairs area.
Even Eyebrows should theoretical also need less apointments, i mean you dont go to remvove hairs (all)… but make them smaller or something .

For Example by Male Nose Hairs or Ear Hairs … a common Problem Area (Earlier or later), 4 Treatments by Laser are Usual Enough. Even me Getted on both Areas 2 Treatments with electrolysis now in 3 Months. And my Hairs on Both Areas are 50% Less . Also to stay Honest, i had never this much Hairs on this Area more common . Even if i would need 5-8 Sittings , because any Hairs not treated good it would go up to 6-8 Months . But how i sayed its a Thing how much Hairs you Have there , how big or better small is the area… And Genetic/Indivual.

Even you have …or much peoples have on forehead…arround the eyes : Vellus Hairs (fine/thin) one , they should also need less treatments…

Of PCOS , I have not really a Clue . I Know how much USUAL a Normal facial Hairs apointment by Trans/Male need. I know some stuff, why pcos and this hairs ghrowth. But more readed/heared something about it.

tee hee … smoooooch!

Here’s an update.

There really hasn’t been any improvement. I get really bad ingrown hairs and I don’t know if that’s from improper electrolysis or not. Anyways. I have been going weekly for nearly two years now. Of course there were a few missed weeks but for the most part I keep a strict schedule. My hair is still very dark and within a week it grows back. The hair on my stomach grows back much slower but my face hasn’t had any luck. There is scarring and scans from the ingrown too. I just feel like giving up and start waxing again. I don’t know how much longer I have to wait to see results but it just feels like there is no progress or improvement after nearly two years. Thank you guys for any help.

Have you considered laser hair removal instead of electrolysis? Laser will def make the hair finer and softer and make the skin clearer and smoother. And laser will def slow down the growth. So, even with pcos, you will be able to lengthen the time betw maintenance treatments and have hairless smooth skin in between. Ideally youll be able to get treatments every 3 months (after doing a series of monthly treatments, maybe 5 or 6)