Electrologist recommended laser for me. Can you guys help?

I called an electrologist about getting my entire back done and she flat out recommended I go have laser treatment as electroylsis takes to long for such a large area. So I setup a treatment with a local Advanced Laser Clinic franchise for laser treatment. I was told laser will take 6-8 treatments 10-13 weeks apart. Does it really take over a year to get an area done? And it will cost over $2000 for my entire back for 6 treatments. Is that common price?

I was always under the impression laser doesnt work very well for permanent hair removal. Should I go forward with a full laser treatment? Seems like it’s my only option. The laser I believe they use is a LightSheer Diode. Is that a good laser? Does it require a lot of practioner skill? I’m worried because the place is a franchise, so I’m afraid I’ll get someone inexperienced.

Any advice?

Thanks
Jim

This franchise has good and bad feedback depending on location. So you really just have to judge by the technician who is performing it on you, ask a lot of questions, etc. LightSheer Diode is a good laser for light skin and dark hair types (skin types I-IV). If you are darker than that or if your hair is light, it is not your best option. Also, laser is not permanent. For some people, mostly ones with light skin and dark course hair, it can be almost permanent, i.e. it will cause some reduction of the hair and slow down the growth, but you will still probably need 1-2 treatments per year to maintain it.

In general, before you committ to any treatment, have consultations at least 2-3 clinics to compare prices and technicians. I found an actual doctor, a dermatologist, who performs the treatments himself, and I am very satisfied.

If you are light skinned with dark hair, either a diode or alexandrite family laser is best. If your skin color is darker than a type IV, a ND:Yag laser is recommended. Just ask the clinic what laser they are using. If you have light or blond hair, laser will definitely not give you good results. Also, stay away from IPL (Intensed Pulse Light). Some clinics call it a laser, but it’s actually something different.

The clinic is right. You will need 4-8 treatments, which varies from person to person and about 8 weeks apart (depending on how quick ur hair grows back, also varies). And after that, you will need at least 1-2 treatments per year to maintain if everything goes well.

Also, remember that laser doesn’t work on everyone. I wouldn’t sign up for a full 8 treatment package before trying it one time to see how your hair will react.

Do a lot of research first, and then schedule a few consultations before you decide.

And electrolysis can be done on you, but it will take a long time. I am sure that you could find someone who would do it if you wanted to go that route. Electrolysis can be done on any hair type, so that’s an advantage. And it works on almost everyone I believe, or most people at least.

Good luck.

Men seeking electrolysis often get the shaft. What I am about to say won’t make me very popular, but the truth is, many electroogists are just to damn lazy to do the kind of work men need done.

They got into this business to get paid what they think is a great rate of pay, for doing little things like women’s cookie duster mustaches, and maybe a little eyebrow work here and there.

Many of them never became fast enough to make any serious progress on a big job like a back or a full man’s beard removal.

If you came to me, I would explain to you what a large job a back is, but I would not send you to the LASER people just because I was afraid or uninterested in the work. What the person you consulted said was basically, “Come back when you have less work for me to do and I will consider it.”

I had my first laser treatment today. Alot of the laser pulses didn’t cause any pain what so ever. And some I felt a little bit. I am wondering for laser to work does there have to be that pain? Meaning if I felt nothing on some shots, did those not do anything?

Everyone is different, and only time will tell the results you have received. You take it on faith, and hope for the best.

I called an electrologist about getting my entire back done and she flat out recommended I go have laser treatment as electroylsis takes to long for such a large area. So I setup a treatment with a local Advanced Laser Clinic franchise for laser treatment. I was told laser will take 6-8 treatments 10-13 weeks apart. Does it really take over a year to get an area done? And it will cost over $2000 for my entire back for 6 treatments. Is that common price?

I was always under the impression laser doesnt work very well for permanent hair removal. Should I go forward with a full laser treatment? Seems like it’s my only option. The laser I believe they use is a LightSheer Diode. Is that a good laser? Does it require a lot of practioner skill? I’m worried because the place is a franchise, so I’m afraid I’ll get someone inexperienced.

Any advice?

Thanks
Jim

That is not a bad price for 6 treatments. But I would prefer to pay for each treatment as I get it. Would they give you a refund for unused treatments if you are not happy?

The Lightsheer is a very good laser for dark hair and light skin. Practitioner skill is extremely important for any laser and for electrolysis too!

I can only speak from my own experience, but if you don’t feel much pain during the laser treatments, I would say you are being undertreated. If you have dark skin, you need Nd:YAG laser, and if you have light hair I would look for a Comet or go with electrolysis. I would tell your practitioner that you didn’t feel like the first treatment did anything. You should start shedding hair during the first 2-3 weeks. If you don’t, you are not getting good treatment. The first few laser treatments, IMHO are the first 3-4. After that, the hair gets finer and is harder for the laser to target.

I have had 8 treatments on my back with either alexandrite or diode lasers like the Lightsheer. My back hair is 90% gone and has been like that for 2 years. The majority of the hair reduction took place in the first 3-4 treatments. I got 50% hair reduction after the first treatment. The remaining hair is very fine and if I want to get rid of it I will use electrolysis.

If I were you and had the right skin and hair type I would go with laser but you have to do a lot of reasearch to find someone who is really qualified. Get the hairs that the laser can get, then finish with electrolysis. That would make it more manageable time wise.

Hope this helps.

RJC2001

It’s been a week maybe two since my treatment on my back and I the hair seems to be growing back as I can see it all, maybe a 1/8 inch long. But I took a tweezer to some of it and it just slides out, with no resistance. Is that good? Does that mean it’s been removed and just needs to shed?

You are currently in shedding phase. Give it some time and stay out of the sun.

But will these hairs that are shedding grow back? If they shed does that mean they have been damaged enough not to regrow?

Also the treatment left my skin with a lot of good sized red bumps. They look just like back acne and probably are the same thing (inflamed hair follicles). It’s been 2-3 weeks since my treatment and they are still there. My skin is very sensitive in that regard. I am VERY acne prone and even shaving can cause these red bumps. Anyone have any recommendations to get rid of them?

TendSkin

shedding takes 2-3 weeks. once the hair has shed, it shouldn’t come back, but other hair that was dormant at the time of treatment will. for me personally, it’s considerably less, and it takes about 10 weeks to come out (i’ve had 2 treatments).

you can exfoliate and gently rub the area in the shower with a shower puff to speed up shedding and reduce the bumps. i’m also using aloe vera to “feed” the skin.