Electrologist having a hard time with hair coming out.

She’s zapping like 3x and the hair still wont come out. Some do, but a lot are giving her a hard time. She says its cause the root is probably curved. Is there anything to do that can help this. Or will the hair give way over time??

Thanks for any help.

I think they say that it will give way over time. I had been plucking the hair on my chin and upper lip and one of the electrologists i had a consultation with said it causes severe curving of the root over time. she said it will get treated but the current won’t reach the root because of the curvature but it will straighten out over time after the treatments so eventually it will be straight like a normal follicle and the current will kill the root. she said as it straightens out it will come back thinner and lighter also. i don’t know if all that is accurate but it seems to go along with what i’ve heard from others also.

If you have curved follicles, you can try asking your electroligist if he/she will use blend.

Blend works differently to thermolysis/diathermy. It’s more effective on distorted follicles as the probe doesn’t have to be right next to the root for it to work.

Also, watch those re-insertions. I’ve heard that you shouldn’t re-insert more than three times … I don’t know if that’s true, but it makes sense. James?

I think they say that it will give way over time. I had been plucking the hair on my chin and upper lip and one of the electrologists i had a consultation with said it causes severe curving of the root over time. she said it will get treated but the current won’t reach the root because of the curvature but it will straighten out over time after the treatments so eventually it will be straight like a normal follicle and the current will kill the root. she said as it straightens out it will come back thinner and lighter also. i don’t know if all that is accurate but it seems to go along with what i’ve heard from others also.

My electrolysist says the same thing and i have read it in many books as well. But I don’t see why not just use the blend method for those hairs that we already know have distorded follicles.

I have set my mind to it and next time i go i will force my electrolysist to do blend on me even though he does not like it for some reason.

i see two electrologists and both of them use blend. i don’t really have any experience with thermolysis but one of them says she prefers blend for coarse facial hairs and the other told me she feels it is gentler on the skin. i have a ton of distorted hair follices after years of plucking and it is actually slowing down the growth already after four treatments so it seems to be effective.

One reason why the hair might not release after 3 attempts in the same follicle is that when current is released in the follicle during thermolysis, the tissue in that follicle heats up. This electrocoagulation is now causing a barrier in the follicle whereby the next insertion is unable to reach the dermal papilla. This will most likely result in an ingrown hair or perhaps a pustule. The follicle can be treated after healing has taken place.

Once the electrocoagulation takes place in that follicle from thermolysis administration, if the gradient is wide
enough, meaning the circumference/area within the follicle being treated, you will have a successful epilation.

Dr. Schuster did lots of research where he examined hairy cross sections of tissue. Curly hairs don’t look that curved under the skin; there is just a slight curvature. Keep in mind that should you see a hair that looks very curly, it does not look that way under the skin. It can look curly on the surface of the skin, it can look curly once it comes out, as it coils up.

Thermolysis can work for these hairs however the area within the follicle being treated must have a wider gradient. Blend is an option, Galvanic is an option but if you don’t find a skilled electrologist, your practitioner might have a problem with any modality.

is it true that blend is gentler for the skin than thermolysis, as jessica’s electrologist suggested?

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone!!! She did say she was going to try me with ‘blend’ she feels it will work better on me because my hair is so stubborn from yrs of tweezing.

Anyway, I didn’t want to waste $$ if she was not going to be able to remove the hair the way its supposed to work…right now a lot of the hairs are snapping or I can feel the tugging which she says you dont want, it should just slide right out and ‘some’ do, but most dont…(((sigh))), its so frustrating. I wish it were simpler in this day and age you would think you could be put to sleep have a procedure… wake up and be hair free!

If the electrologist is using an insulated probe, that can actually be gentler to the surface of the skin.

If you are sensitive to the galvanic used in Blend, that might cause an allergic reaction.

There are too many variables to just make a blanket statement. However, from my experience with coarser hairs, the best treatment is blend. The surface of the skin heals most quickly as the destruction takes place where there is most moisture, in the follicle, not at the surface of the skin. BUT it all depends on how the practitioner is administering treatment.

i see two electrologists and both of them use blend.

How long would you say (if you don’t know exactly) is the treatment for each hair? If you don’t know for sure from having asked them, how many 1000’s do you think you could fit in the treatment time of each hair ( a rough estimate on your part)?

thanks

it’s actually different for each of them. for the first one, i am SURE she is using blend bcs before she started work on my face she said that she would be using it because she is treating coarse hairs and she just prefers it for them. the time she spends ranges from 4-7 or 8 seconds it seems. i have never asked her but i counted once so i could get an idea of how much would be done each treatment. on the second one, she is considerably faster. i would say 2-3 seconds at most. it’s like she inserts, it beeps, and she’s done. it almost makes me wonder if she switches back and forth to thermolysis or if she uses a higher setting so she doesn’t stay on each hair as long. i have not asked her. but i notice that she adjusts her machine during treatments frequently so maybe she is lowering and raising the setting or switching modalities. she did tell me that she would be using blend bcs in her opinion it was a little gentler on the skin. i don’t know if it is true that it is gentler as she suggests or more effective on coarse hairs as the other one suggests. i was happy to hear that they would both be using it though bcs if i understand what james says correctly, it’s easier for someone to burn you with thermolysis if they aren’t a good electrologist. since i couldn’t find any actual recommendations in my area, i was glad they both were going with blend. that way if they weren’t any good i felt the damage would be more minimal.

Jess,
do they use pads or metal rods as the negative electrode? and if both, which one do you prefer?

i’m not exactly sure what you mean by negative electrode. do you mean what they have you hold to ground you? if so, both of them have me hold a little metal rod. i don’t know if it actually is a rod bcs it’s very small. is that what you’re talking about?

yeah.