Electrologist Certifications?

Does anyone know what the different certifications availble to electrologists are, and what they entail? I’m looking for an electrologist in Pennsylvania (where there’s no state regulation) and I want to know what level of training the letters mean.

In particular, has anyone ever seen C.R.E.?

You can search this forum by clicking on the search button and typing in the word certification newer than 4 years to find more info, but here are two posts to get you started. CRE probably means certified registered electrologist?


[color:“red”]First post: [/color]


Top Ten Contributor

Reged: 10/27/03
Posts: 782
Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Questions, please help! [Re: noone314]
#24689 - 08/31/05 11:26 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Hi noone.

There are 32 states that license electrologists, and Ohio is one of them. That means, an electrologist must attend an accredited school and follow a curriculum related to the study of electrolysis that includes a licensed practical nurse level of anatomy and physiology, massage, principles of electrolysis and the actual clinical part of working on real people. The amount of time spent in school varies from state to state. In Ohio, a minimum of 600 hrs. is the standard over a year’s time. After that, one must apply for and take the a written and practical test over a period of three days through the State Medical Board of Ohio. If one passes all three tests, in addition to demonstrating with a live person the skill of performing electrolysis, then you receive a license with the title C.T., which stands for cosmetic therapist in the state of Ohio. In some licensed states the title may be L.E. or licensed electrologist.

After one receives their license they may practice electrolysis, however, to keep their license, they must meet continuing education requirements of 26 hours every 2 years in order to renew their license. This is in the state of Ohio. Other states may require more time in the classroom or less time in the classroom. After these levels have been obtained, one can take more tests through the American Electrolysis Association to add the CPE title to there state license. CPE stands for certified professional electrologist. In unlicensed states, apprenticing is a desireable, followed by taking the CPE test.

Because one has initials behind their name and a license in hand doesn’t always mean they are the top gun. This only tells you that they have met at least the minimal standards as required by their state licensing boards ( in states that require a license). You still need to judge who will get to do your job by getting several consults and having basic knowledge of what a good electrologist can and should be doing.

Since you are from Ohio, here’s a side note: Over the years, we have had at least five schools in Ohio that trained electrologists. All have closed except one. In the year 2000, nine passed the state boards, in 2001, 17 passed the state boards, in 2002, 15 passed, in 2003, 8 passed, in 2004, only 6 were licensed. When we need more well-trained electrologists, the numbers of licensee’s are declining. That translates in to a more frustrating quest for the consumer to find a person they can trust with their hair removal goals.


Post Extras:


Major Contributor

Reged: 04/30/04
Posts: 186
Loc: nyc
Re: Questions, please help! [Re: noone314]
#24690 - 08/31/05 11:33 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

based on this page:
http://www.hairfacts.com/govregs/stregelectro.html from hairtell’s very handy sister site, hairfacts.com, it seems that Ohio requires a license.

for other certifications, i think cpe is a main one.

as far as how to keep your problem from getting worse, don’t tweeze or wax the area. stick to shaving (or doing nothing). other than that, there’s nothing you can do to stop it from growing in.

fyi about the free consults, don’t expect a significant amount of free work. you might get only 5 minutes worth.

Post Extras:



Reged: 08/20/05
Posts: 33

Re: Questions, please help! [Re: VespaSusie]
#24718 - 09/01/05 01:15 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Wow, thanks for your help everyone.

[color:“red”]Post #2 [/color]
Pages: 1

Reged: 05/19/05
Posts: 1

different types of practitioners
#22006 - 05/26/05 12:00 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Could someone please tell me what the difference is between all of the different types of certifications for people who do electrolysis (like CPE, CME, RC, etc.) Is there any i should avaoid or look for

Post Extras:

James W. Walker VII, CPE

Top Ten Contributor

Reged: 06/03/02
Posts: 2511
Loc: Buffalo NY
5 Photos Re: different types of practitioners [Re: 1bluemeany]
#22036 - 05/27/05 10:30 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

First off, no certification or badge, or star on their forehead will tell you without shopping around that this one practitioner is better than any other. I wish it were not this way, but it is.

Nothing replaces doing the footwork of seeing as many as you can, and figuring out which one(s) are the best available to you, and who will do what you want done, in the way that best suites you.

CPE = Certified Professional Electrologist, An Internationally recognized credential created by The American Electrology Association and the Chauncey company that made the SAT, and many other professional educational tests (LSAT, GRE, MCAT) A person who passes this test is allowed to practice in most places in the world with little or no further testing. That being said, some people have passed this test and still are lousy at the hands on job of performing electrolysis.

RE & LE = Registered Electrologist, and Licensed Electrologist, Depending on your locality, they either register electrologists, or license them. These credentials only state that the practitioner is in compliance with the local rules. In some places that means they went through vigorous challenges to get that title, in others, it means they know someone who got them a ticket to charge money for this without much proof of ability. What the deal is where you live is something you should make it your business to find out.

CCE = Certified Clinical Electrologist, A test that is mailed out to the proctor of your choice who is trusted to make sure that you take the test fairly, and return it for grading. Theoretically if you can pass this test, you should be able to pass the CPE, however, since the test is not secure, you never know if your CCE passed on merits, or cheated.

CME = Certified Medical Electrologist, a misrepresentation of double talk, since this credential is really meant to blur the distinction between Electrologists and practitioners of Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. To get this credential, you must already have a current CPE, or CCE and sit for a test on the practice of Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation (LASER)for the purpose of Hair Removal. I would not be too trusting of this credential either just because one could possibly cheat their way to the CCE, and then pay for a two day course to prep for the CME with the owner of the test, and then sit for the test at the end of the class. I will say, however, that I am not saying that anyone with this credential is untrustworthy, I am just saying that the credential itself is no guarantee.

PCE = Professional Certified Electrologist, another mail order test that, theoretically, if you can pass that, you should be able to pass the CPE, but we don’t know if you took it fair and square, or had it mailed to your aunt, the church secretary and spent the week doing the test open book and sent it back. Needless to say, they chose their name in order to cause confusion with the CPE.

Ah, thanks. I missed the date range field the first time I looked.

However, I’m still not finding C.R.E. My guess was also that it was Certified Registered Electrologist, but without knowing how they got that title, it means nothing. Who awards this title and what are the requirements?

You might want to ask an electrologist from Pennsylvania named, Alan Price, who post’s here from time to time. You can read his posts, too, by going to the user list and finding his name Alan Price.

Here is his website if you want to contact him personally about Pennsylvania electrologists: http://www.gailrae.com


Some people just make up their own 5 star certifications and print their own pretty pieces of paper to go along with them.