Doubt! Laser to treat paradoxical Hypertrichosis

Hello All,

I had a doubt regarding hair caused by paradoxical hypertrichosis due to laser.
So, Some laser hair removal methods can stimulate fine hair into thicker hair growth. And laser treats thicker hair better. So, why can’t a person go through more laser sessions and get rid of the thicker hair at the end. Am I missing something?

This is a really interesting question and I wish I knew the answer – but in the end, I think its just as unpredictable as the stimulation of the hair. I also think that in the process of treating certain thick hairs you could stimulate even more fine vellus hairs surrounding.

Please refer to no. 2 & 4 in my “Customer Beware!” link, it might help answer your question.

Ive read what you’ve referred to, I agree that low settings can prolong treatment and hinder laser results, and of course cause stimulation. But it’s not necessarily proven to be the case that the perfect laser treatment can reverse or completely solve paradoxical stimulation. It would be great to see a recorded study or experiment on it, but it doesn’t exist to my knowledge.

As long as u see the signs of follicular damage (= red swollen bumps) hair will somewhat get destructed.

no follicular inflammation = no result
mild inflammation = less result, if not at all
more inflammation without lingering heat & pain = better result

1 Like