Donna Bella Cosmetics Permanent Hair Removal

I was investigating the FDA approval system, and stumbled on this. I was surprised to not find a thread about it here. They claim FDA approved permanent hair removal. It’s an entirely topical system of creams, sprays and gels.

Has anyone tried it?

(Edited, sorry for the sloppiness) I thought this was funny: they have a kit for women for $600, and a kit for men for $700, presumably because it’s worth $100 to the average man to not smell like a girl. Either that, or a black box is worth $100 more.

Do you have a link for us to peruse?

I didn’t want to do any advertizing for them. A google search on the subject line of this thread will reveal the manufacturers web site, as well as where to buy it and better prices than mentioned above.

I was unable to find the FDA listing at the FDA web site. I’m pretty sure that’s because the FDA web site is set up to only allow you to find things if you already know where to find them [grrrrrrr]. I also sent an e-mail to Donna Bella Cosmetics requesting a copy of, or reference to, their FDA approval. I have not yet received a reply.

Good work, engineer! Keep asking.

The good news is that when I asked them to send me the FDA approvals, they did. You can see yourself here and here.

The bad news is that the approval is for cosmetics (21 CFR 710) so I don’t think the FDA actually allows the use of the phrase “FDA Approved” in connection with these products (this is the FDA page talking about it).

Also the 21 CFR 710 approval requires no proof of efficacy.

Disclaimer: I don’t claim to understand all the ins and outs of the FDA regulations, so there may well be something here I don’t understand.

Naturally, when I pointed these things out to Donna Bella, they got very cagey with me. I doubt they will be sharing a lot more info with me.

My personal impression is one of a small forrest of red flags. I’ll bet it works very well as a depilatory, but beyond that?

One must be VERY careful of the wordings used by the FDA. For Cosmetics, the FDA requires that one only prove that something is unlikely to kill you. Cosmetics need only have some value to making you feel better. They do NOT need to prove efficacy.

Medical devices and pharmaceuticals, on the other hand, are made to do very expensive testing and submit proofs of any claims. The solution to this for scammers is to call their devices and potions Cosmetics, Cosmeceuticals, Pharmecits, and other nonsense terms.

It reminds me of the items hawked to kids in the back of comic books. Like the X-ray glasses. They were sold as “Novelty Items”, and as such did not have to work, but a little kid doesn’t understand that the so called point of the X-ray glasses it to get a reaction from your friends when they see your glasses say that they are X-ray glasses in print on them, and they have to wonder what you are really seeing. Children buy these items believing they will actually see their bones, and look through ladies clothing, just like the ad portrays.

Buyer beware.

As I expected, they are not responding to any e-mails from me now.