Doing something wrong when wet shaving?

Hi all,

I’m a 24 year old guy wanting to get a close shave. Perhaps this just isn’t realistic for me: I’m kind of a shaving disaster area. I have sensitive fair skin and dark, very coarse and curly hair.

I normally use an electric shaver (a philips HQ5660). I do get razor bumps and lots of skin irritation (red marks around my neck) from it, but the main problem for me is that it doesn’t give a very close shave which leaves the remaining hair still very visible and feel-able. Basically it turns long stubble into slightly shorter stubble.

So I’ve tried wet shaving with a Mach 3 and it just doesn’t seem to work for me at all. The blade kind of jerks/bounces across my face with a tugging feeling as if my skin were getting caught in the blades. When applying little pressure as recommended it doesn’t seem to cut my facial hair at all. When I push a bit harder it cuts my skin (I get several little bleeding spots). Does it sound like I’m doing something wrong, or is the Mach3 just not right for me?

I’ve tried to follow the standard advice (soak face in warm water before, rub face with a towel, apply moderate amounts of shaving gel (tried the Gilette shaving foam, the Gilette shaving gel and King of Shaves Kinexium), don’t press hard, shave with the grain. I have shaved my neck succesfully (ish) with the Mach3 when I tried going against the grain, going with produces the same skipping/jerking effect. Going against the grain doesn’t seem to help on the face.

Any suggestions most appreciated.

Ok, I’ve had another go, looking more carefully at what’s happening. It’s not my skin getting caught in the razor (unsurprisingly), it’s my hair.

Apparently the Mach3 blades can’t cut my hair! What seems to be happening is hair(s) get trapped between the blades without being cut, and as I move the razor along it tugs the hairs until they pull free from the blades, and the blade jerks forward, encounters more hairs and gets stuck again. I’m using new blades.

Well, that’s all pretty depressing. Indestructible stubble. Any suggestions?

I have some suggestions, these are not in any particular order.

Forget the rotary razor. Try a foil razor instead. I recommend the Braun Synchro 7526. It works very well on heavy beards and is almost as good as a blade. Almost but not quite as close. The Braun will outperform a rotary every time, at least for me. The Braun also has a self cleaning module. I find that the Braun results in the least irritation of any electric. I have tried almost every electric and nothing compares to the Braun.

The Mach3 Turbo is the best blade ever made, IMHO. The Turbo is even better than the regular Mach 3. The blades are thin and cuts through heavy beards better than any other blade.

How long is your beard when you shave? if it’s more than a day’s growth that could be a problem.

I have some suggestions, these are not in any particular order.

Forget the rotary razor. Try a foil razor instead. I recommend the Braun Synchro 7526. It works very well on heavy beards and is almost as good as a blade. Almost but not quite as close. The Braun will outperform a rotary every time, at least for me. The Braun also has a self cleaning module. I find that the Braun results in the least irritation of any electric. I have tried almost every electric and nothing compares to the Braun.

The Mach3 Turbo is the best blade ever made, IMHO. The Turbo is even better than the regular Mach 3. The blades are thin and cuts through heavy beards better than any other blade.

How long is your beard when you shave? If it’s more than a day’s growth that could be a problem. Blades do not work well on longer hair. The shorter the stubble the better. If you have more than a day’s growth you are better off using the Braun. You can follow up with the Turbo if you want for that little bit extra closeness.

When you first shave with a Turbo, it will cut you. It is a serious shaving tool. You want to minimize the cuts. Take your time and shave against the grain. Shaving with the grain gives worse results than using an electric.

If you are committed to using a blade, you need to give your skin a chance to adapt to the blade. It may take 3 weeks, maybe longer. Also I recommend Edge Pro Gel, Tough Beard Formula. It works much better than the Gillette gels and foams. Don’t use too much and use lots of water too. Add more if it dries up, which it will if you put it on your entire beard. I just apply it to one section at a time.

Also use Tend Skin to prevent and treat razor burn and ingrown hairs.

Hope this helps.

RJC2001

I can totally sympathize with you Mr. Stubbly. Your problem sounds exactly the same as mine. I can’t think of anything I hate more than shaving. I never get a close shave - blades just pull the hair instead of cutting it. Most of the time I use an electric (Remington Wet/Dry) because it’s less harsh than a blade. I haven’t had much success with the Mach 3 either - although there is a big difference between the Mach 3 and cheaper blades. I haven’t had any success at all with Dry Electric Shavers - I might as well not even shave at all - very harsh on my face. I spend a fortune on shaving products, but as of yet I haven’t found the products/method that works good for me.

Thanks very much RJC2001 (and commiserations zybecus ). Here’s how I’ve been getting on:

I found Somersets extra sensitive shaving oil and soaking my face in warm water for a few minutes allowed me to shave with the Mach3. I got a good close shave but really bad skin irritation and razor bumps (my Skin Tend is in the mail…).

I bought a Braun Synchro 7630 (possibly the same thing as the 7526, but anyway roughly equivalent) and I’m very very impressed. It gives a closer shave than the Philips, and much less skin irritation, quite a pleasant shaving experience actually. It is, as RJC2001 said, almost as good as a blade. I expect I’ll stick with the 7630 given that it allows a pretty close shave over my whole face without the inconvenience and pain and bleeding and so forth… :wink:

Thanks again,

The 7630 must be a new model. I’m glad you like it. I always did get a closer shave with less irritation with a foil razor.

RJC2001