Does wax-induced growth apply to upper arms?

I have read many threads on this forum and I realize that waxing an area like the face, or another place where a woman grows unwanted hair in a male-type pattern, is a bad idea, because it may grow back thicker, darker and stronger. However, when people say that it is ok to wax arms and legs, does this apply to UPPER arms as well? I guess the growth there is hormonally dependant, because it only appeared around the same time as the rest of my unwanted hair, but it is still my arm after all…

With warm months ahead, I really want to feel secure in having hairless upper arms… but I am really reluctant to start shaving… because then I will have arm stubble if I don’t keep up! Yikes! Eventually I plan to get electrolysis on them but I have to save up money, and I also want to wait to see what effect Spironolactone has on the hair (so I don’t waste money if it reduces some of the hair.)

Also, one more question-- if I get my hormones under control with Spiro, is it still never ok to wax? I understand that waxing causes hormone-laden blood to rush to the area, but if my hormones are back to normal, won’t the hair be non-affected? Or am I misunderstanding something?

The upper arms and arms in general are not hormonally sensitive areas like the face on a woman. Waxing is okay.

I actually love it when my clients wax their arms prior to having electrolysis because all hair that comes forth thereafter is in the growing cycle when we start treatments and we are not wasting time on the “bummer” shedding hairs.

It is possible that even if your hormone levels regulate with medicines that you could still have some issues even though your testosterone levels are “normal” because some women are more vulnerable to even the slightest whisper of testosterone in the blood for hormonally sensitve areas.

It doesn’t depend that much on an area because what can cause the hair to get stronger is the blood flow that is stimulated to the area to repair it after waxing. However, not everyone experiences this. Plus, areas like legs and eyebrows tend to lose hair anyway as you get older.

I would imagine the upper arm is like the leg. I don’t wax there, but people who do usually have less hair growth over time. Nobody I know has gotten the least bit worse, only better. I would assume it would be the same with the arm. Try waxing one patch for awhile and see what you think before doing the whole kit-n-caboodle.

Leg hair begins to thin as we get older, that’s down to circulation and other factors. Waxing will not have a permanent “reducing effect” on the hair either, it just appears finer as it’s coming through but if left, will go back to it’s usual thickness.

Regards,
Benji