does using the tweezers cause ingrowing hair

Is tweezing the main cause of ingrowing hair (if so I should stop doing it). Does tweezing have any other negative effects? Thought it was a safe short term alternative!

It can definitely cause ingrown hair, yes. Not always, but sometimes.

It also can make the hair darker and thicker over time depending on the area you’re tweezing. Tweezing the face or chin for example is always a terrible thing to do. Tweezing can also distort the root of the hair which makes permanent removal more difficult in the future if you ever decide to remove the hair permanently with electrolysis or laser.

I think it would be a good idea that you see these photos:

Appearance of the skin on right upper lip, after years using tweezing:

The same in the left lip:

Hyperpigmentation that you observe is due to the hardness (callus) that develops skin to defend against the metal of the clamp.

right, thanks for the feedback and the photos. Would not have guessed it causes such damage, so glad I asked.

Now looks at the future:

The Electrolysis has made it possible. It is MAGICAL!!!. :wink:

The best short term method is shaving. It doesn’t do anything to the hair. Everything else can affect the root.

You should look into electrolysis to get rid of the problem for good.

one question I do have is dont girls pluck their eyebows regularly? They dont seem to have any long term skin problems. So is plucking/tweezing only harmful to the skin etc on certain parts of the body? btw, the latest picture above looks fab!

The damage depends on the fragility of the skin and how they use the clip. A fragile skin is one in which the blood vessel walls easily tranparent. Daily use of tongs “digging” into the skin, catching hair, is harmful to the delicate skin.

Usually the girls eyebrows not pluck daily. For a woman, have some hair in the eyebrow is not as problematic as having it in the upper lip. For the likeness of a male growth pattern.

The eyebrows handle being tweezed very well. They are the only facial area which does, so if you’re talking about your eyebrows, then tweezing should be okay. Just don’t tweeze cheeks, chin, or lip!

Tweezer in my opinion does not cause Ingrown Hair. More likely the wrong angle of shaving.

Any form of mass hair removal by the roots(tweezing,waxing,threading)increase the chances of ingrowing hairs occuring. I once had a client with a severe case of ingrowing eyebrows, and as a previous poster stated,this area is usually well suited to tweezing.