Does this look like scarring?

I am furious. I’m a 31 year old male and I’m paying a lady 95$ an hour for electrolysis, I believe she uses an Apilus Senior II. She cleared a side of my forehead about 3 weeks ago (maybe longer) and now my skin in that area has that orange peel texture. Are those scars or is the skin going to heal eventually? I asked her and she said my skin was just dry but she didn’t seem convincing.

qwerty Attachments

20160614_204548.jpg

If I were only looking at your photo (and not read your post), I would say those look like old scars … maybe from acne (from years ago)?

What you are showing doesn’t look like anything that could develop in only three weeks. I suppose I would ask if you got large scabs from the treatment? Or, were there any minor infections?

Normally, photos don’t confuse me … yours is puzzling.

I apologize. How about this one?

Those marks weren’t there before the treatment.

Okay … watch all these videos (#1 - #4), and your answer might be found here. I only see a couple pits that look “too much,” but then I don’t know the extent of the scabbing so I cannot make a reasonable determination.

When you watch these videos pay attention to “myofibroblast contraction” combined with swelling (edema) of the surrounding tissues. Video #4 will have some photos of what you are seeing. This effect is sometimes seen on upper cheeks where skin is thin.

Sorry the videos are so long … but knowing something about the healing skin is important (especially for electrologists; who sometimes don’t have a clue!):

Thanks for your response and the link. After watching video #4 I’d say that the reaction I have is called “pebbling”, which it says it’s permanent. Can you confirm this please?

No, there is zero chance of defining this as “pebbling” in your case, because the pebbling phenomenon takes at least 6 - 8 months to develop … and even then it can be temporary as the full 18-months of collagen-turnover takes place. I don’t define “pebbling” until at least a year has passed.

At this point saying “permanent” with anything you are presenting is premature. At 3 to 4 weeks you are only dealing with the visual signs of healing. As you saw in the videos, a lot is going on … so much more than people realize.

Your skin is still swollen and bumpy and this is more pronounced where skin is thin and overlying bone (there is no place for the swelling to go, except outward).

Ok thanks for reassuring me, I feel a little better now. I have an appointment next month for a large volume electrolysis to have my beard removed. It’s going to take about 30 hours and I’m honestly very scared of permanent skin damage. Perhaps starting off with laser would be a better option considering my beard is thick and dark?

Let me say that were you my client, I would do the following.

First, I would do an in-depth explanation of what’s going on with your skin. I would also refund 100% of all the money you’ve spent thus far, and then have you wait until the skin was 100% healed-up and perfect looking. I would not work on you for at least 6 - 8 months or until you were totally satisfied that what I was saying was factual (from your own observation).

Note: be sure to watch all the videos, not just video 4 … My own feelings, in your case is, that you are looking for “cause” … I mean “permanent damage” … and I cannot say this for the reasons stated above, and in my videos.

As a personal note … indeed, I have worked on areas like yours that, afterward, looked much worse than your photos. The skin healed perfectly with zero lasting marks whatsoever.

Responding to your last post (number 4) … I would suggest that you NOT move forward with a “large volume” of beard hair removal (laser or electrolysis). You are “very scared of permanent skin damage” … so don’t do it until you have experimented with small areas, and then seen exactly how your skin heals.

Have your electrologist look at all your posts … and mine. Do not jump into this … take your time. Nobody ever died from having a beard. But taking-on “angst” for nothing will be horrible for both you and your electrologist.

Cancel your next month’s appointment for the “large volume.” We don’t want to see you back on this forum in total panic from all the lumps-and-bumps, hyperpigmentation, scabs and other assorted “ding dongs” that you WILL be getting from a “big hit” electrolysis session.

As my Italian father would say … “Take it Skeezy!” Okay?

Thanks again. You sound like a pro for sure! I will let my electrologist see this thread and express my concerns. As far as the large volume session I guess I’ll just have to trust them, they reassured me they will be extra cautious and they seem to be very competent according to what I’ve read about them.

Hello, I am an electrologist. The orange peel look you are speaking about is scaring and can happen within weeks of an electrolysis treatment. While performing the blend method of electrolysis and thermolysis the treatment lye is created (electrolysis) and heat (thermolysis) is used to push the lye throughout the follicle for complete destruction. The lye solution that is created during treatment has to be neutralized, (brought back to a neutral pH) or it will continue to chemically destroy the follicle and surrounding tissue… Causing a pitted texture to your skin. Your electrologist should know this.

I disagree that orange peel is scarring. Normally we cant determine if scarring will occur for 9 months or more after the treatment . Orange peel is a normal treatment manifestation and RESOLVES.
As an electrologist, this is information you should become familar with . i recommend reviewing the information found here:

and also here:

1 Like

It is NOT true that orange peel is the same thing as scarring. With some clients, orange peel is part of the normal healing process. I was trained in California and have been an electrologist for over 40 years and NEVER have I heard that sodium hydroxide had to be neutralized or it would destroy the follicle and surrounding tissue. In what textbook or study are these claims documented?

Can I ask you a question please about my case thank you so much

This is totally untrue. The lye produced is a base and the body is slightly acidic … so the lye is neutralized immediately upon stopping the current … and you do not have to do anything to “stop the lye reaction.” These are the silly myths that schools promote (for the last 99 years) … and they are completely incorrect.

Skin “orange peel” however can indeed be severe and leave pitted scars (from any modality). It’s all a matter of intensity and over-treatment.