Does this look like a good machine?

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if this looks like a good deal?
https://www.complexions.co.uk/product/sterex-sxb-blend-electrolysis-machine/

I’m just starting out, aiming to DIY my face as I can’t physically go to a clinic and there aren’t any mobile therapists in my area. I won’t be working on anyone else. I’m in the UK.

I’ve been studying Michael Bono’s The Blend Method, plus some general reading and videos online. I’m not quite ready to have a go for real yet but just started looking for machines to get a feel for what’s around and saw this second hand (older model) Sterex SXB for £500. It comes with a one year warranty plus needle holder and lead, indifference electrode and lead, foot pedal and some Sterex needles. It seems like that sort of offer might not come up very often, so I’m wondering if I should buy it now anyway.

I’ve seen the SXB recommended on this forum but don’t really know what I’m looking at - any advice would be much appreciated.

Sterex is a known brand in UK/Europe. You won’t go wrong with a basic blend machine like this. Contact the seller and clarify if this machine allows you independent controls over DC and HF or is this a single pedal machine where you need to preset both HF and DC settings?

1 Like

Thank you, that’s helpful. I had wondered about only having one pedal but didn’t know if I was just not understanding how it worked. I will ask them.

You’re looking at a very old model of the SX-B. It comes pre-serviced and with a warranty, but I don’t think you’ll have any major issues in the future. It’s a very basic machine from a very reliable brand. I would question the supplier on how easy it is to replace the indifferent electrode, the prober holder lead and the foot pedal if ever necessary. If this model of SX-B fits with the current model’s attachments, then you’re fine since these parts are very easily sourced.

For a working electrolysis machine with a warranty and all the necessary parts, this is a very decent price despite its age.

Since the question has been asked, I’ll answer that Sterex machines are single foot pedal, which is the standard for most (maybe all?) modern blend-capable machines anyway. Although I know electrologists like Bono were quite fond of the double pedal, that’s only one approach of many, and it’s really not necessary.

Thank you! Very basic sounds good to me - I want something simple that won’t confuse me with bells and whistles. The seller has confirmed that the current model’s accessories will all fit this machine and that HF and DC can be set separately, and I’m sure I will learn the relevant techniques. So I’ve ordered!

Thank you for the advice - you’ve helped me feel much more confident about buying.

Now I just need to watch a few more videos and take the plunge! :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Yes, watching videos of Josefa Reina and Michael Bono will definitely help you to visually understand how to stretch the skin and how to insert the probe (angle and depth), but be careful not to assume that you can or should use similar settings.

Working DIY on your face, it’s better to go low and slow, especially at first. This means each follicle will be considerably slower compared to what you would see in Youtube videos. The manual for modern SX-B epilators gives an indication for some starting settings which should still be relevant for this older model, the main difference being the digital display reading versus the dial gauge on this older model.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s really helpful! Definitely finding the videos help to see how to implement what I’ve read.

I am expecting it to be difficult and slow. I imagine it takes years of experience to achieve such apparently effortless skill as in the videos. I’m hoping that if I just take my time and do it carefully then I’ll be able to get some improvement. Anything at all would be wonderful for me.

I am a DIYer. I am new to this, I’ve been practicing on myself (and gf) the last few weeks.

I would get needles in a variety of sizes. I would recommend 2, 3, 4, and 5; thermolysis is very sensitive to needle size. If you plan on doing the upper lip, for me, I find those hairs to be finer and they benefit from a size 2.

I would also recommend figuring out local anesthesia, aka, lidocaine. I would go without the first few times, so you can get a feel for insertions, depth, how the currents feel, then afterwards, there will be a lot less fear numbing the area and trusting the method and the numbers. Early on the pain really helps prevent a lot of injury.

I would also replace the needle holder, and electrode wires more or less immediately. It’s very frustrating using equipment that is flaky.

I would recommend as nice as a mirror as you can afford. Lighted and magnified.

I would also recommend figuring out when you are “done” emotionally, like drained, then shaving the area so you can’t do more of it. Having access to the equipment, I’ve learned I need to shave and limit myself from doing too much, because I need both time to heal, and time to observe how my technique is progressing.

I would say set up an area, make a checklist sort of thing, turn it into a ritual. It’s way more involved then I thought it would be, and skipping stuff (like antiseptic or needle sizing) is really unadvised. Consider aftercare, how the area is going to heal, what kinds of salves and ointments you are going to use, if you are going to avoid sunlight.

I’m wishing you luck!

2 Likes

Thank you, it helps a lot to hear your experience. I had been wondering which needles to go for and do indeed hope to do upper lip, though I think I’d better practice on some less sensitive parts first. The tip about shaving sounds like a particularly good idea as I can easily see myself pushing it too far. At least avoiding sunlight won’t be a problem in the UK winter!