Does spiro reduce hair that is already there or

does it just stop new hair from growing?

It just stops new hair from growing.

When taking Aldactone (Spiro) be sure to supplement with b vitamins, pro-biotics, stomach enzymes, magnesium selinium, tyrosine , and zinc, because in addition to testosterone, it also flushes the body’s stores of these vital nutrients as well. Your doctor probably doesn’t even know this, and that’s why he or she did not tell you this. (Well, either he or she doesn’t know this, or doesn’t think enough of you to tell you, which do you want to say that it is?)

If you think this is a small thing, do some research on the effects of deficiency in these nutrients, and you will find an interesting list of symptoms that you don’t want to have (not just because they are bad, but because they lead to you being prescribed even MORE drugs, which all have their deficiency making side effects, leading to even more problems… she swallowed the spider to catch the fly, but I don’t know why she swallowed the fly…)

would Finasteride (and avodart) also be effective in stopping new hair growth? (while being safe for males) It is “…a type II 5alpha reductase inhibitor. [It] blocks the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a potent stimulator of hair loss in scalp follicles and hair growth in body hair follicles that have androgen receptors.”

I believe products that stop hair loss can cause growth on other areas since they’re stimulating hair.

No, actually. Drugs like Propecia and Avodart work by reducing the actions of DHT at the hair follicle. While DHT is what causes hair on the HEAD to fall out, it also is what causes body hair to grow. So, taking something like Propecia will stop balding, but should also reduce body hair as well. I used to take it, and it’s commonly prescribed to other transsexual people as well for its anti-androgen effects.

Spiro is known to reduce the hair that is already there, but it won’t eliminate it completely. It takes around 6 months to a year to note a real difference. It will make the hair more manageable and finer, as well as prevent new growth, but you will still need electrolysis or laser (for coarse hair on your body, not face) to get rid of what remains of your existing hair.

They say that spiro, esp in combination with something like yasmin can reduce hirsutism scores by around 50% ish, but not if you are obese

just go to google scholar and look up spironolactone and hirsutism and you will find several studies.

People tell you that anti-androgens will not stop current hair growth, and will only prevent new hairs from growing. This is absolutely not true. I’m transgendered, and prior to my orchiectomy I had very thick, coarse body hair. After surgery, it’s thinned to the point that a quick swipe with a razor once a month will eliminate any unwanted tummy hair. Even if I never shaved it, you wouldn’t be able to see it except for up close.

Another odd observation is that Spiro can reduce hair even in people who don’t have elevated androgens. It is unclear why, but it could be related to its effect on DHT.

So, yes, Spironolactone or other anti-androgens can reduce unwanted hair, sometimes even to the extent that hair removal is no longer necessary.

I’ve been taking it for about 8 months and see no difference. The only thing it does is make me have to pee really, really bad and very frequently. That’s pretty much the worst side-effect ever.