Doctor warns against bikini waxing and other...

A doctor has launched an appeal to reverse one of the fashion trends of the last decade, seen in the explosion of beauty salons offering bikini waxing, laser hair removal and “vajazzling”– jewelled decoration of the genitals.

Emily Gibson, a family physician and head of a student health centre, called for an end to the “war on pubic hair” claiming it is increasing the risk of infection and of sexually transmitted diseases amongst young people.

As director of the health centre at Western University in Washington State, US, she has seen the consequences. “Pubic hair removal naturally irritates and inflames the hair follicles, leaving microscopic open wounds. Frequent hair removal is necessary to stay smooth, causing regular irritation of the shaved or waxed area. When that is combined with the warm, moist environment of the genitals, it becomes a happy culture media for some of the nastiest bacterial pathogens,” she writes on the respected US medical website Kevin MD.com.

Surgeons used to insist on shaving the area of the body where an operation was to be performed in the misguided belief that it reduced surgical site infections. Now official advice is to leave hair alone, unless it interferes with the operation, and where removal is necessary to use electric clippers.

Dr Gibson says that whatever method is used on pubic hair – razor blades, electric shavers, tweezers, waxing, depilatories, electrolysis - “hair, like crab grass, always grows back and eventually wins.”
full article http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/physician-calls-for-an-end-to-bikini-waxing-8008628.html
I had to roll my eyes when this doctor put electrolysis into the category of temporary hair removal products. But it is interesting to see this link between infections and STD risks and hair removal in that area. Experts what do you think? :confused:

I’m not hearing about or observing any correlations between infection and lack of hair in the private areas. I am referring to laser and electrolysis. I suppose temporary measures, if performed in an unsanitary way, could harbor germs and cause infection if the skin is broken.

I’m no expert, but I think someone needs to get lucky! :slight_smile:

Doctors and other professionals can launch “appeals” all day and it’s not going to change the direction of fads and pop culture. Either you move in the direction of change or change leaves you stranded! I am so tired of hearing the word “infection” thrown about as a means of instilling fear and controlling personal behavior. If infection risks were as high as this doctor would lead us to believe, the simple act of shaving or clipping fingernails would be dangerous!

Correct me if I am wrong, but don’t Doctors hold multiple certifications? I guess knowledge and certifications do not always coincide. :wink:

Ummm, yeah that doesn’t make too much sense to me. Unless you’re actually getting infections from how you’re treating your skin…