Do you beleive your hormones are out of whack?

Hi All,

I believe my hormones are not right even though I have had 3 blood tests saying they are. I have a lot of facial and body hair and had cystic acne/oily skin which required blotting etc…I would like to create a kind of survey to see if people have any other symptoms which may be common between people who beleive their hormones are out of whack…

(1) Sex F/M:______
(2) Age: ______
(3) Weight & Height: __________
(4) Do you have excessive facial/body hair issues (if so, please detail ________________________________________
(5) Do you have acne/oily skin ______________________
(6) Do you have regular periods ____________________
(7) Have you had any problems getting pregnant _______________
(8) Do you have coarse dark hair/light blond (vellus) hair ___________
(9) Are you on any medications/using creams for the hair problem/acne, if so please describe ______________________
(10) When do you believe your hair problem got worse _________________
(11) Do you have any other conditions e.g. past tumours/growths, thyroid issues, diabetes, insulin problems etc ________________
(12) What other unusual symptoms have you suffered with ______________
(13) Please enter any other information which you think may be helpful _______________________________________________

Hi again, The reason I beleive my hormones are out of whack is for a few reasons; my skin cleared up brilliantly during pregnancies, my hair problems got worse after each pregnancy, i was prescribed spironolactone for the acne (cleared it up 100% - spiro is an antiandrogen) etc etc

Now to get the ball rolling on the survey, I really hope that other people will answer the survey questions, I just think it would be very interesting to see if there is any kind of trend. When we go to Doctor’s, they are not very understanding and you feel like a bit of a friek going to them in the first place, so you do not mention the other things that may be bothering you also, so I beleive the Doctor’s do not get the full picture… Im hoping this survey will enable people to say more about health issues that may have been bothering them but they did not say to their doctors etc…

(1) Im Female
(2) Age 34
(3) Weight: 58/59Kg, Height: 5 foot, 4 inches…(within normal range)
(4) I have a lot of fine blonde facial hair (which really is excessive) and has been mentioned to me by family and friends (just incase i didnt know about it (LOL!!). I also have a lot of body hair. Some of thes hairs grow to unusually long lenghts, hence poking out (especially on my chin)…
(5) I had very oily skin and cystic acne, but now am on medication for that so it 100% cured
(6) Yes I have relatively regular periods (could be 2/3 days either side of expected date) and only happens sometimes…
(7) No, I had no problems getting pregnant…
(8) I have millions of blond vellus facial hair and coarser hair in the usual places
(9) I use spironolactone (50mg/day)… It has 100% cleared up my acne and my coarse dark hair from my lower tummy, nipples and chin area gone… I was on a higher dose of 100mg and have now reduced down to 50mg… I also used vaniqua (meant to have slower regrowth with) - I found it very expensive and not that effective, so stopped using it…
(10) My hair problem starting in my early 20’s, got worse after each pregnancy
(11) During pregnancy 1, I was told I had cervical CIN III which progressed to CIN I during the pregnancy, had it lasered out after, all pap smears since been fine… My brother has diabetes type 1 and it in my family, I never had gestational diabetes when pregnant, my granny has thyroid issues also…
(12) These things will sound crazy, but the purpose of this survey is to tell people of things that you wouldnt tell your doctor; my teeth bleed most days when I brush them, I have been depressed in the past, when I am on the verge of sleep or after waking up, I do be very worried about me/my family dying etc (I know sounds crazy, this may have nothing to do with this as my husband was in an accident a few years ago and it might be just my sub-conscious, when on the pill, I had severe diarrohoea and stomach issues (which was irritated after beer/ greasy fries, pasta etc). I had been on and off the pill for a few years, and this happened each time with the pill (irregardless of what type of pill I was on), I also had bad breath when on the pill, still very occasionally have… sometimes when I have upset tummy also… Also I think its worth noting, that I get my hair growth problems in spurts… Also I need 9hrs sleep/night, tired a lot… think this from the spiro as dont remember having this issue… it not an issue though if I get 9hrs/night…

I hope none of this makes me sound crazy, I jsut think it would be interesting to see what else people write down as potential assocaited problems and see if it is a tren between people suffering hormone problems…

Also it is probably worth saying I have done electrolysis for over 8 years (it only seems to work for me though as maintenance rather than reduction), and I am also doing selectif pro (ultrasound hair removal)…

Anyway if you get time, please complete… thank you…

one other thing I forgot to mention is I am pretty thin but carry an unusual amount of weight around my tummy area (however this may be due to having 2 kids LOL!

I hope you will have a lot of participation on this!

This may have been mentioned before on this website - it’s something I remember hearing an endocrinologist saying in a continuing education lecture. She said when the “normal” range for hormones was determined (years ago) the women who were tested would have come into the testing program because they thought their hormones were off - and that fact would cause the “normal” range to be lower than the actual numbers given as “normal”.

(1) Sex F/M: Female

(2) Age: 20

(3) Weight & Height: 44 kg, 156 cm

(4) Do you have excessive facial/body hair issues (if so, please detail): Neck, chin, sideburns, belly button, breasts, nipples, thighs. Finer hair on: tummy, back, arms, butt.

(5) Do you have acne/oily skin: Used to have acne but cleared it with Roaccutane. Now I have just an oily forehead but no pimples.

(6) Do you have regular periods: No, I’m always a week late at least.

(7) Have you had any problems getting pregnant: Not trying.

(8) Do you have coarse dark hair/light blond (vellus) hair: Yes, I have both.

(9) Are you on any medications/using creams for the hair problem/acne, if so please describe: I will be starting a 20 mg course of Roaccutane for the oily skin. I’ll also likely be put on the pill or some other medication because of my PCOS diagnosis.

(10) When do you believe your hair problem got worse? when I was 17 years old.

(11) Do you have any other conditions e.g. past tumours/growths, thyroid issues, diabetes, insulin problems etc: Not that I know of.

(12) What other unusual symptoms have you suffered with:
Well, I don’t think it’s unusual for someone with PCOS or if it’s even related to hormones, but I’ve always had very bad period pain, dry skin, hair breakage and fall out, depression, low self esteem, anxiety, white spots on nails, grey hairs.

(13) Please enter any other information which you think may be helpful: I lost 8 kg in 1 year through changing my diet and doing a bit more exercise, but mostly it was a diet change. I think that if I hadn’t lost that weight my hair growth would have gotten worse, it might be my imagination but I think my hair growth has slowed down since i lost weight.

(1) Sex F/M: Female
(2) Age: 30
(3) Weight & Height: 55Kg and 5 ft 3.5"
(4) Do you have excessive facial/body hair issues (if so, please detail): I have dark hairs on my sideburns/jawline. I have exceptionally hairy arms and the hair is quite long and curls (I have very curly hair anyway)
(5) Do you have acne/oily skin: I have dry/combination skin. I suffer from very bad spots along my jawline. The are usually very inflamed the week before my period. When I go off the pill they are very bad.
(6) Do you have regular periods: I am on ‘Yasmin’ and it is the only reason why I have regular periods. If I was not on the pill I’d have my period every 5-5.5wks and it would last up to a week but with very light bleeding. I would also be in severe pain for the 1st day of my cycle with constipation and back cramps.
(7) Have you had any problems getting pregnant: I have not as of yet tried to get pregnant.
(8) Do you have coarse dark hair/light blond (vellus) hair: I have some coarse dark hairs (not many) and lots (normal amount I think) of blonde vellus hair on my face. I also have lots of very fine dark hairs on the sides of my face - they are not coarse though.
(9) Are you on any medications/using creams for the hair problem/acne, if so please describe: I have been on Yasmin for 8 years (on and off)
(10) When do you believe your hair problem got worse: 6 months ago when I stupidly used Nair hair removal cream on the sides of my face. When the hair grew back it caused the growth of lots of fine dark hairs. I have always had very hairy arms though. I remember people commenting on it when I was younger st school.
(11) Do you have any other conditions e.g. past tumours/growths, thyroid issues, diabetes, insulin problems etc: I have no other medical conditions other than suffering from dermatitis from time to time.
(12) What other unusual symptoms have you suffered with: I am a big worrier and am stressed quite a lot but try to work it out positively. I have never been diagnosed as being depressed but have been on the verge of it the last few months since my ‘Nair’ incident.

(13) Please enter any other information which you think may be helpful: When I have my acne breakouts the spots are so bad that they leave a lot of scaring. A few beauticians have said that they wouldn’t want to go near that area incase the aggravate it any further. I have had to go on anti-inflammatories to bring the swelling down and have used peroxide based creams to soothe the acne. It’s weird because it’s only along my jawline (and it’s a prominent jawline so can look very obvious). I’ve been told that they are stress related and that if they were hormonal that they would be more on my chin than jawline. I sometimes get some spotting around ovulation time and do get some discharge. I recently had a smear test and STD test and am clear.

I went to a naturopathic doctor today to talk about the hair growth issues that i have been encountering. She suggested that i have a salivary testosterone done because it is more sensitive. She told me that if i do a serum testosterone test it is going to come back clear from her experience. So all the ladies on here who have gone to a Endo and had test done i suggest that you find a good naturoptahic doctor and get a salivary testosterone test done.

Ktothea, thank you for that info… i will do that because i do believe somethings not right… Im hoping the more we share information, the more we find out… thank you again for this valuable info…

HI Ktothea, what did your naturopathic suggest as treatment? Thanks

I think an important part here is missing - I would ask what medications, supplements, etc people are taking. Some of the dietary and exercise supplements could be linked to the hair issues.

Things can also be hereditary and not related to disorders of any sort.

Bridget - Nair only removes hair above the skin’s surface. You didn’t ruin anything. If you don’t touch the hair, it will return to what it was.

The only medication i am taking is spironolactone 50mg/day, no other supplements/medication etc

1. Sex F/M: F
    (2) Age: 32
    (3) Weight & Height: 70 kg (fluctuates a lot!!) 165cm
    (4) Do you have excessive facial/body hair issues (if so, please detail)

I’ve had excess hair on most parts of my body since the onset of puberty. I have very dark, dense & coarse on chin, upper lip and legs, medium coarse on arms, softer on my cheeks but with quite a few single dark hairs inbetween. My entire body seems to be covered by vellous hair too. I think, it’s likely to be hereditary though. Both my mother and father’s family have the same problems.

(5) Do you have acne/oily skin
Quite oily t zone and my acne is worse now that it ever was in my teens. Strangely my skin is very, very dry in other places.

(6) Do you have regular periods Yes

(7) Have you had any problems getting pregnant Not as far as I know.

(8) Do you have coarse dark hair/light blond (vellus) hair
Very coarse and very dark (I’m Indian).

(9) Are you on any medications/using creams for the hair problem/acne, if so please describe
No

(10) When do you believe your hair problem got worse At the age og 12-13

(11) Do you have any other conditions e.g. past tumours/growths, thyroid issues, diabetes, insulin problems etc No.

1. Sex F/M:F__
    (2) Age: __40
    (3) Weight & Height: __5.3 and overweight ________
    (4) Do you have excessive facial/body hair issues (if so, please detail.

Lots of accelarated vellus hair over face which I first noticed 10 years ago, and long pigmented on sides which is a recent addiction (always had a very downy face). Body hair has increasing though they are blonde, even though my colouring is dark.

(5) Do you have acne/oily skin
Oily skin and hair, had the odd cystic spot outbreak which I started noticing 10 years ago. During pubity had acne on my back and had it until my early 20’s, being on the pill helped.

(6) Do you have regular periods Yes____________________
(7) Have you had any problems getting pregnant. No___________
(8) Do you have coarse dark hair/light blond (vellus) hair Very coarse and very dark. Blonde accelerated vellus hairs, with some slightly course all over face. Pigmented fine ones on side of face and jawline.
(9) Are you on any medications/using creams for the hair problem/acne, if so please describe
Dianette______________________
(10) When do you believe your hair problem got worse___10 years ago (age 30), was under alot of stress___________
(11) Do you have any other conditions e.g. past tumours/growths, thyroid issues, diabetes, insulin problems etc___ No.

I also have diabetes in my family… wonder if there is any connection?..

bibsov, I’d see an endocrinologist. If your mom has ovarian cysts and potentially PCOS, you may have it too. That could explain irregular periods and weight issues too.