do fine hairs require less current/time?

Maybe this question has been answered before… I am seeking to remove some fine arm hairs. I recently ordered One Touch and was curious if these hairs require less current or more? Also i would like to know about how long i should keep the current going (seconds, minute). I know the process will take long but I need tips to maybe hurry up the process. Please help. THanks

Thinner weaker hairs usually require less treatment energy, but if they are long and deep, the cumulative energy needed may equal a thicker hair that is not so deep.

The really thin ones are the kind that make my stereo microscope an invaluable tool.

Hopefully some of the people here who have undertaken this type of home treatment will share with you.

I of course can only repeat that good pro work is best, quickest, and safest. If you can’t or won’t do that, get some good electrology books, read them, and have a friend read them, and trade work on each other.

Having done enough work on my own to consider myself a reasonably competent electrologist, I have to say I agree with James.

People, including myself, chronically underestimate the number of hairs they will have to remove. In part, this is because for every hair you see, there are one, two, or more hairs you can’t see, because they’re resting and either worn down or pulled out. For example, my wife habitually plucked hairs from a small mole on her face. I guessed there were two or three hairs. We have now epilated nine hairs and there are at least two more.

Of course, it all depends on how much money you have versus how much time you have.

Just to size the difference between amateur and pro: An arm clearing would easily involve removing 2,000 hairs. A decent electrologist would do 400 hairs an hour. In other words, five electrolysis hours. Working at home, alone, with a One Touch, you would take about a minute per hair, once you got good at it. At 50 hairs an hour, you’d be done with the arm in 40 electrolysis hours.

Based on my experience, this ratio of eight to one in time is conservative; I think in many cases the ratio is higher.

• Eric

Thanks guys, I will be getting some books this weekend. I have been seeing a professional electrologist (3 visits so far) but I feel like I have so many areas to work on that I truly can’t afford having her do all of them. I really wish I could but I just can’t. So I resorted to the One Touch for just my arms. I know it will take awhile but I am willing to try anyway. That’s why I am asking for some pointers. Again thanks for the help! :smile:

I thought of another way to think about the time versus money equation: You can expect that good pro electrolysis will be about 10X as fast as you can get with the One Touch. So if a good pro costs, for example, $100 an hour, you’d be better off working more instead of doing the electrolysis yourself as long as you earn more than $10 an hour (after tax, of course).