Do Electrologists know when they're over-treating?

(Photo of one side of my chin one day after treatment)

I’ll try to keep this brief, even though I have a lot of complaints.

Apparently, my electrologist has been regularly over-treating my skin for months (which she admitted after I showed her a picture of my scabs).

You can see the damage in the photo. I only found out it wasn’t normal because I told my electrologist that I needed to wait longer between sessions. I’d started using a product to fade the hyperpigmentation the treatments were causing, and it couldn’t be used on broken skin. She said using the product would be fine (obviously terrible advice) because “Electrolysis doesn’t break the skin because the needle goes directly into the follicle” and she also denied that her treatments were causing the hyperpigmentation.

Well, that definitely contradicted what was happening to my face, and that’s when I began to research. Eventually, I sent her a photo of the damage, and she blamed the problem on my hair being difficult to treat and said she wish I’d told her sooner this was happening (like I’m supposed to know what is/isn’t over-treatment).

My biggest question: How could she not know she was causing undue damage to my skin while she was treating me? The fact that the wounds were obvious, even right after the treatment when I looked in the mirror, is actually why I thought this amount of damage was normal. Like, she had to have seen them, right?

Is there any way she could not have known she was over-treating during my treatments? Because I have one hell of a review to leave her if this is something any competent electrologist should know is happening.

Thanks for any replies!

1 Like

It’s important to separate hyperpigmentation from over-treatment.
Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation or PIH is not completely avoidable even in properly administered electrolysis. Certain skin types are just prone to PIH and your electrologist should know that. PIH is rarely a permanent issue. Pigmentation will fade once all treatments are finished, it’s just a slow very process but certain creams and medical interventions do speed up the process.

Your second issue of over treatment does have visual signs that a properly trained electrologist will know how to identify and adjust treatment plans accordingly. In your case do you know what modality your electoligist is using on you and does she use insulated needles?

Thanks for your response! She said she used a combination treatment, which is a: “combination of both thermolysis and galvanic methods”, quoted from her website.

Beyond the PIH, my question is: Would she have known she was “breaking skin” at the time of treatment?

Thank you!

Combo treatment with both currents is known as the Blend method.
We can’t know if your practitioner knew or didn’t know that she was being aggressive with the currents. I certainly hope she does understand that such aggressive treatments should be avoided.
Give your skin time to recover. The scabs will heal fine. Avoid hyperpigmentation cream for now. Keeping scabs moist with something like vaseline will be beneficial.

This is over treatment and should not be repeated. Heal.

I would know if I was over treating a client. The skin would be reacting with weeping and blanching, etc. We electrologists can see the slightest signs that we are distressing the skin barrier especially if an electrologist is using a quality vision aid, like surgical loupes. Give your skin enough time to heal. No more treatments. This does not have to happen. It is good you are discussing this with your practitioner.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’ve decided to go with a different practitioner, and I appreciate the insight.

2 Likes

I am so relieved you have found someone else. As a POC myself and also treating POC extra care has to be taken always as our skin is very delicate and super prone to scarring and PIH. I personally use PICOFLASH OR MULTIPLEX mode on my Apilus XCell (the speed of these currents are lightening quick from 100th to 1000th of a second) and I always use a ballet gold one piece probe if not allergic to gold. These probes are ideal for darker skin tones, but I use them for everyone. It is also a non negotiable that each and everyone of my clients have Cataphoresis to conclude the treatment (I include this gratis). Cataphoresis helps to reduce redness, calms, soothes, restores the skins natural pH and is antibacterial. Clients skin’s return to normal levels within an hour. If you ever feel pain, plucking, bleed or feel excessive heat this is over treatment. But I am sure you now unfortunately know how that feels. I am sorry you had this awful experience. Good luck to you with your new electrologist.