Diying girl lookin fur a manual blend machine (and other inquiries)

hii! its a trans girl speakin.

i’ve just read Michael Bono’s “The Blend Method” fur which i payed 50usd using Texas Electrolysis Supply’s website. i’m lookin to perform Bono’s face-technic method on the entirety of myself and find that i need access to a machine and some other jazz too. i live in Colorado so the absence of a license from my life is a barrier only when it affects online retailers’ policies.

the machines seen online so far fail me in bein too expensive (i am lookin to keep all of my startup expenses <1000usd) and havin too many features (which i do not plan to use, and so won’t). (0) my main question: what models do u recommend fur someone with such aspirations?

i have two peripheral questions. (1) the first, quite particular: are there established methods of grounding a dc current which won’t steal one of my hands away? i need em both to do progressive electrolysis. (2) the second is fur u to reply as u please: does manual blend serve its present users well?

thx fur readin <3

i might thank u again if u respond.

If you reached out to Texas electrolysis and couldn’t find an affordable machine for blend, you might be in trouble. I have not seen adequate machines on ebay in a long time.
Regarding ground, you don’t have to hold it in the hand. You can place the wet sponge on you hip or slide it behind your back etc. Contact with any part of bare skin will work.
Manual blend especially for DIY is a great modality. But even if you get a machine that has blend presets/automatic it is still good option.

1 Like

i haven’t yet looked thoroughly into their pricing. i was turned off by that many of their machines say “Call for price” which made me wary because i am neither well-informed nor assertive. i do not wish to be a victim of haggling or shoddy-craftsmanship, so i came here first that i may glean trusted distributors and manufacturers (or models). i will call them tomorrow and promise myself that i will hold out fur a bit before buyin anything. i simply don’t have money to spare.

thank u so much fur ur reply. it has given me confidence and direction.

1 Like

i do not wish to be a victim of haggling or shoddy-craftsmanship

I don’t know how much of this would be possible without TES. Some electrolysis supplies are consumable, and without a seller, DIY gets harder.

If you want to hold out for eBay, here is a search you can set up to send you results. I have certain sellers excluded.

electrolysis machine -"clean + easy" -"water machine" -"pack of 2"

Keep in mind, if the machine breaks, getting it repaired is going to be an ordeal. I would plan in the cost (repair or replace) of any machine breaking. My One Touch broke in hour two. I used it unknowingly for another three hours. I was pre-Hinkel, pre-Bono, pre-forum, pre-procedure-video. I was the perfect demographic for the One Touch.

Keep in mind, whatever machine you buy, may be planned for 200+ hours of use. TES has a one year warranty. How many hours can you do in a year? How do you feel about practicing electronics repair on a device with no public schematic?

The used machine I bought? It rattled. I was confident opening it to do the repair I had already guessed was necessary. I understood at minimum I had to replace all the cables, clean all the connectors, and hope the dials were accurate.

My machine (via the manual I bought at TES) says I should start thermolysis with the indicator set to 40. I don’t have an oscilloscope to verify it’s actually 40 volts. This bothers me.

i may glean trusted distributors and manufacturers (or models).

There are two lists, a known manufacturer list, and an avoid list.

I’ve looked through the used list at TES. There are a few blend machines for sale. From what I understand they are all above $1000.

i am lookin to keep all of my startup expenses <1000usd

I’m currently at about $1100. Here is what I have left to buy:

• Procedure table
  • Magnification solution
  • Equipment stand
  • Needles the same size as our hairs
  • Pain management method (tape, occlusive, lidocaine, EMLA, etc.)
  • Better microorganism management (disinfectants, sterilization, etc.)

Of course, I can cut corners. Of course, I can buy less expensive stuff. Then I can ask myself the following philosophical questions:

“What is an hour of my time worth?”
"What are my odds of introducing or causing an infection?
“How willing am I to treat the same follicle again and again?”
“How willing am I to give up other hobbies and interests to develop this skill?”
“How willing am I to balance pain management and overtreatment (i.e. burns, scars)?”

My girlfriend and I (both transbians) plan on taking turns, weekly, doing both upstairs and downstairs areas as prep for GCS. We understand electrology is becoming part of our identities.

For others reading along, I did not appreciate the gravity of this undertaking. I understand how the urge to save money leads to DIY, as I thought, “I saw an electrologist, how hard could this be?”

I really underestimated the difficulty of this. I find the pain excruciating and my current skill level demoralizing. My killrate is between 5 to 30%. I only recently understood, the goal is carefully planned body trauma, just enough to disable the follicles, but not enough to leave scars.

I find it very difficult to keep the pedals held down, through the pain. I also thought, “Well, if I own the machine I can do a little everyday.”

I’m finding out that causing body trauma requires healing time since people look at me funny with active wounding on my face. Also, downstairs work can interfere with intimacy.

For every $100 I spend, that’s an hour I could of had a professional do this. I estimate my 12 hours of needle time to be about equivalent to 45 minutes of a professional.

I am not counting reading textbooks, watching YouTube procedure videos, scouring forums or doing buying research. I am not counting ordering supplies phone calls. I am not counting where to store all the gear that takes up space.

the second is fur u to reply as u please: does manual blend serve its present users well?

I bought a dual pedal manual machine, and I would recommend the same to anyone DIYing and applying the currents, to themselves. Being able to actively mix the currents and being able to sense in real-time what they feel like, I find invaluable. I find the analog nature of the procedure romantic. I’m not used to this level (or intensity) of me-time. I frequently think of the Bono (RIP) post where he says the trans electrologists have an advantage, and how reading the textbooks, doing the procedure sort of like how he would have done it, has a romance to it.

I find the self-efficacy rewarding.

I am wishing you the best in your hair removal journey!

i purchased a Fischer SE-4 from TES sometime in the last week, who’s arrival will hopefully allow me to begin to understand what it really is that i have decided to do.

thank u for taking the time and effort to post a comment full of kind anecdotes, advice, warnings, and encouragement. i will try my best to stay motivated and acting towards my goals, and i hope u and ur girlfriend are successful in ur plans too.

stay safe as ya can!

1 Like