Diode laser clinical data

Below is a link summarizing clinical data on the diode laser:
Diode laser clinical data

There are a few new studies by Alster and Eremia on PubMed you can check out, too. I’ll add them to hairfacts as I have time.

Hi, thanks for your informative website.
I just received my first treatment for hair removal on my upper lip by a Diode laser (lightsheer). It was done by a doctor who does all the laser stuff himself, and came recommended. I’m fair, with dark hair. When i got home, and the faint redness had gone away quickly, i noticed that the upper edge of my right lip and a little skin on the side of it looks/feels burnt. When he did the treatment, i remember a ‘burning’ smell when he treated that particular area. (he said that was normal).
Now, is it possible this is a burn that will not go away? Was he careless, and got too close to the lip? Will it heal? ARRG!! The rest looked so good…
Another question: he wants me to come in for several visits with 3-week lags between visits. Is that too short a time?
Thank you SO much for your reply; it’s the beginning of memorial day weekend, i don’t know who else to ask, and that doctor won’t be back until tuesday! Thanks…! :frowning:

Don’t worry! The redness will go away. The Lightsheer is a great laser. I have less redness afterwards with it than with the Apogee, which is also a good laser.

I haven’t had my beard done but did talk to my practitioner about it. Redness and swelling is more common with facial hair, at least for men. I wanted to get my chest and back finished before I started on any other areas so I didn’t have time.

Did the doctor use compression (press down) with the handpiece. I timproves the results and results in less irritation. The compression forces blood out of the vessels momentarily so the hemoglobin doesn’t absorb the laser. And it also rotates the base of the follicle closer to the surface so it can be blasted more easily.

3 week intervals may be normal for facial hair. My practitioner says Lumenis is recommending 8-12 week intervals for back and chest hair at least, because of the power levels used on me, which was 45 Joules.

If you don’t mind my asking how much did the treatment cost and is it part of a package? Just to compare, my dermatologist charges $200 to do the upper lip. It used to be $100 I believe. They have just had a significant rate increase, but as an existing patient I get 50% off each treatment. Glad I am almost done. My last hour-long treatment was $65. I thought that seemed kind of low. Now the minimum treatment will be $100. It was too good to last I suppose.

I wonder how much one of those Lightsheer ETs (60 Joules) costs.

I may be able to eliminate what little hair is left with electrolysis. I have some white chest hairs that of course would not respond to the laser. I don’t have a lot of them, but I feel like I have wires growing out of my chest. I wonder if the laser made them more coarse. It’s probably just that I notice them more because almost all of the other hair is gone.

Sounds like your doctor is doing the right thing.

RJC2001

You should be ok, but I would treat the area as if it were a burn (even if it isn’t). Put aloe vera gel (not cream or lotion, but pure aloe vera gel with no menthol or “cooling” additives) on it and keep out of the sun this weekend.

If you do have to go outside, even for 15 minutes, use a sunblock. If it’s on your lip, I recommend getting a tube of Vaseline intensive care lip balm with SPF 8. I wouldn’t use anything with camphor or menthol-- just petroleum jelly with SPF sunblock. The Vaseline is the least irritating out there, because it’s pure petroleum jelly.

As RJC said, you should be fine, but definitely contact your doctor when he returns!

Thank you both for your replies…It still looks very ‘burnt’ on the lip (only one part, nowhere else), and i’m just wondering…what if it IS burnt? Does that mean i have to live with a burnt/scarred lip for the rest of my life? I just feel so uneasy that i can’t talk to my doc right now…Any advice or encouragement? Thank you so much!! :frowning:

If it didn’t blister or scab over, it’s likely you will heal very well. Even if it did, there are things that can be done to minimize any lasting change in appearance.

Discoloration (lightening or darkening) does happen now and then, and it can sometimes take a few months to resolve. However, your doctor can give you a couple of things to help with that.

I can certainly understand your concern, but as long as you treat the area carefully over the weekend and avoid any sun, your doctor should be able to offer some solutions on Tuesday. I’d insist that he sees you then, though. Don’t take no for an answer! A couple of days should not mean a missed opportunity to get it all healed.

Hang in there! :smile:

Thanks so much for your support…i’ll let you know what happens tomorrow! Enjoy the weekend…! :roll_eyes:

I doubt that you will have scarring. At the worst you may have a scab but they will heal. Keep the area moist. My practitioner uses Aquaphor and it has always worked very well.

Do you know the fluence level that was used? Next time you can read it on the machine it has a small TV screen and you can read the fluence level. It is in large numbers possibly followed by a J.

The Lightsheer has more potential to scab because it can deliver up to 60 J. The 60 Joule setting is only used on people with very light skin.

It still doesn’t sound like something to worry about. It may take a week or more for the redness to totally go away.

RJC2001

Hey, thanks for your kind responses! The lip seems a bit better, but hopefully tomorrow he’ll see me. The doc had told me he was going to use the ‘highest’ level on the Diode, as my fair skin/dark hair would tolerate it…and it did seem to, until he got too close to my actual LIP! The redness isn’t there, it just looks burnt, also like i fell and got a scabbed wound (or something–my mom asked me if i’d fallen…). Anyway, i’ll let you know what happens! Arrghh, the tough time we women have! Sounds like your laser stuff’s going well? Bye for now–

Hi all,
thanks for all your support and advice. It’s now thursday, and my lip (which had looked quite burnt a few days ago) has healed terrifically (whew!). I did let them know at the doctor’s office, though i didn’t end up going in (they weren’t in until wednesday), but when i go for my 2nd treatment i’ll be sure to tell him what happened–i think it was a bit of carelessness on his part, which is rather scary, but i believe he’s good nonetheless. I guess i should have been prepared for hair re-growth, which is showing just as it was before, already, though i would have thought it would come back more slowly…are these the hairs falling out, or just the normal growth cycle of the hair (which i know is why we need several treatments…)? Thanks!! :grin:

Electra, that is probably the hair falling out. For some reason, it takes longer for the hair to fall out with the Lightsheer than with the Apogee (alexandrite). Maybe it’s because the hair is singed more with the Lightsheer and is stuck in place for awhile.

I had the back of my neck treated a little more than two weeks ago and there is still some hair that has yet to fall out. It ios singed hair because it does not come off when i shave, but all of a sudden it will start falling out. I have had some hair take 3 weeks to fall out with the diode laser. From what I hear that is normal.

It normally takes at least a month for any regrowth to occur unless the doctor simply missed a spot. The way I understand it, hair that regrows was not in the growth cycle at the time of your last treatment. That’s why multiple treatments are needed.

Hope this helps.

RJC2001

Electra, glad your burn is looking better. If it’s dark or discolored, they can sometimes give you a product like hydroquinone to help lighten the area.

As always, RJC has provided excellent info that corroborates other consumer experiences. Based on letters I’ve gotten over the years, diodes require more expertise than other lasers, and hair seems to respond somewhat differently depending on the wavelength of the laser.

I am already so impressed with all our posters, and it’s only been a month! Thanks to everyone for participating! :relaxed:

[ May 30, 2002, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

Hello,

Maybe you are able to help me.

What is the difference between the Light Sheer Diode Laser and the GentleLASE Plus Laser. Because the things I have read seems that the is quicker because it has a maximum spot of 18 mm. Therefore it covers larger body area’s in less time. Also it has an intercooler system wich seems to me quite friendly to skin.

Does anyone no if the GentleLASE Plus Laser is a good Laser. And as they claim even better than the Light Sheer Diode Laser.

Excuse me for my English, because it is not my language. I’m from Europe.

Here from you

Welcome, Diman!

The GentleLASE Plus is an alexandrite laser. which is different than a diode laser. The GentleLASE is a very popular model, because of its inexpensive price and often good results.

There is not much information on whether one laser type is better than another, because there are very few comparative studies. Consumers who have tried both say that the diode lasers seem to be stronger, but that they also seem to cause more side effects. It’s hard to say whether the diode is more effective than the alexandrites like GentleLASE.

The alexandrites have more clinical data available. For a review of medical data on both, please see:

Hairfacts: alexandrite medical data

Hairfacts: diode medical data

For me the diode laser (Lightsheer ET) has been more effective. I have had less pain and redness with the Lighstsheer than with the Apogee (alexandrite) at the same fluence levels. The Lightsheer has higher fluence levels available too.

As my treatment progressed and I had finer hairs left the Lighsheer was more effective at targeting them. The compression applied with the Lighsheer made a noticeable difference in the amoung of hair removed too.

The Apogee did a good job, too. So the GentleLase is worth considering if treatments are a lot cheaper. But I would disagree that the Gentle Lase is better than the Lighsheer. If you have light skin you can take advantage of the Lightsheers higher fluence levels (60J). My last two treatments were at 45J and that did make a noticeable difference in the amount of hair removed. And there was less post treatment redness and pain than with the Apogee at 40J.

Even the rep for Sciton, who makes Nd:YAG lasers, admitted that the Lightsheer is recognized as the best hair removal laser on the market.

RJC2001

Hello Diman again,

Thank you Andrea and RJC2001 for your quick and trustable answers. I will read the information in the links you have posted on this forum.

So RJC2001 you have good results with the Lightsheer Diode Laser. This is the only Laser wich is available for treatment in the Netherlands, therefor I am glad that others, besides you, do think positive about this Laser.

Andrea is there at the moment information available considering “parmanent” hair removal? I mean how many years will stay hairs away? Or is it to soon to tell.

I consider to have a trial treatment in December 2002 (in about 6/7 moths), because then it is winter in the Netherlands. Very cold as you can imagine. The reason is because I have skintype 2 or 3 and I want to avoid pigments spots. Is this a good reason considering my skin?

Talk to you soon

Diman sends greeting from the Netherlands.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by Diman:
<strong>Andrea is there at the moment information available considering “parmanent” hair removal? I mean how many years will stay hairs away? Or is it to soon to tell.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Diman, most these devices have only been available since 1997 or later, so long-term results are not fully known.

Permanent hair removal is a confusing issue. You may find it helpful to review some of the information I have compiled regarding this:

Hairfacts: Permanent hair removal-- a disputed term

[ June 01, 2002, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

If you are a sun worshipper it is probably better to wait util winter. If not, you can start right away.

Those who are light-skinned are less likely to have pigmentation problems.

I am relatively dark skinned and have never had any pigmentation problems. I do not get laser treatments during the summer though bacause I don’t want to have to stay out of the sun all summer.

Since you are light skinned they’ll be able to treat you at a higher fluence level. The Lightsheer is good for this as it can provide up to 60 J.

RJC2001

Thanks RJC and (of course!) Andrea, for your wonderful advice, knowledge and support…I’ll probably be writing in again after my next visit! Best regards! :relaxed:

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by RJC2001:
<strong>If you don’t mind my asking how much did the treatment cost and is it part of a package? Just to compare, my dermatologist charges $200 to do the upper lip. It used to be $100 I believe. They have just had a significant rate increase, but as an existing patient I get 50% off each treatment. Glad I am almost done. My last hour-long treatment was $65. I thought that seemed kind of low. Now the minimum treatment will be $100. It was too good to last I suppose.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>If you don’t mind my asking, which state do you live in? I’m pricing laser hair removal in Dallas, TX, and the lowest price I’m able to find is ~$220/treatment for just my upper back!

If I can’t find a better price, I may not have the procedure done…