Dermavel plasma pen

An acquaintance who knows I am starting electrology school asked me about a product today called Dermavel and asked if it’s the same technology as what her electrologist used a few years ago to remove her skin tags.

I Googled it as I had never heard of this particular device before and see it billed as a “skin fibroblast plasma pen” for various skin conditions (scroll down the webpage to see the long list). I notice it comes with thick metal attachment heads and also very thin needles I could see how she could think they are the same type of needle (although to me they are clearly much larger and not the same).

I told her I didn’t know because as I haven’t even received my schooling materials yet and I haven’t (so far) learned on my own quite yet the process how tags are treated by electrologists. But I told her I knew right where to ask… here!

Anyone have any insight as to the comparative qualities between the technology this product uses and what electrologists use to treat skin tags?

I did not see this product mentioned here in the forum or anything similar in the search results but I would almost bet one of you has the technical expertise/knowledge that I don’t have yet.

I can see this pen being misused by people and easily injuring themselves if they’re not using it properly but that’s a whole other topic.

I did let her know this is something I couldn’t use professionally but as for the technology comparison I haven’t a clue. Anyone have any knowledge or insight they could share between this and what electrologists use to treat skin tags technology wise?

Thanks!

You can thank Mike and Josefa for this one.

Thank you for linking this and I have watched this video prior along with others. I think in the state of WA this is technically beyond the scope of practice for estheticians and electrologists but I am trying to get clarification. I think it’s in a bit of grey area of the law but I am trying to do my own due diligence to be as sure as I can possibly be before I make that decision for myself.

To be completely honest I wax and wane about the differing thoughts regarding the legality in my state as some will say it is allowed and some say it’s not as I can see both sides of the coin.

Just another thing I need to do a fair amount of research on. My list is growing.

Hi Seana,
Gosh, I have not spoken to Josefa in “donkey’s (y)ears,” but I’m pretty sure she’s doing well. The UK association has excellent classes in doing this procedure that is legal in most European countries. Although the subject is now being discussed/reconsidered in the UK … from what I hear. I don’t do it myself, unless Dr. “C” has instructed me to do so … He uses a “hyfrecator”-type instrument, but sometimes he will not if it’s too small for such a “healthy” blast of HF. I have only done this a couple times. One case was an elderly woman with, probably, 100 of these on her neck and chest (tiny, but gross). I don’t like doing the procedure. (I don’t like squeezing pimples or blackheads either … yuck!)

Dermavel is a Trick. They have sent TWO of their purported plasma pens and neither worked. I adhered to the guidelines and nothing works- - the pens don’t do a thing. I have made two recordings for each their guidelines to show that they don’t work. For buying plasma pen you can buy from LumBuy Online Shopping.

Oh dear me … not the “PEN” again?

I went to the LumBuy site and, well, this plasma pen has been masquerading by different trade names since its initial popularity in the 1920s. It’s an HF “coil” that produces a plasm in the hand-held tube … and will cause an impressive little “lightening bolt” on the skin that is said to do a myriad of healing things. It doesn’t do anything! … it just looks impressive. Amazingly, most estheticians still use these instruments for a number of reasons … it still does nothing! It does not “sterilize” the skin, calm the skin, oxygenate the skin (bad idea anyway), correct pimples … or even cure baldness (which is claimed)!

Indeed, there are several “gee whiz” products that become popular … people realize they are worthless … the device goes away for a while … then re-emerges again to a whole new group of suckers. I’m waiting for the Faradic devices to show up again (also “invented” in the 1920s). These little wonders cause your muscles to twitch (think T.E.N.S. device), and are supposed to cause weight loss and make your muscles bigger (without exercise). Sometimes these “muscle twitchers” make a BIG appearance and have trade names like “Slendertone.” Big business … big rip off … zero validity.

Honey, it’s all about exercise and diet … there is no miracle cure! Sadly, it takes a very long time for the public to catch-on to the health & beauty frauds … in this case, these devices have been going strong for 100-years! Each generation equals a new group of suckers. We learn slowly?