dermabrasion for treating electrolysis hyperpigmentation?

Has anyone tried dermabrasion to help speed along the clearing up the skin following extended electrolysis treatments (measured in years)?

Has it helped?

What are the going rates for various body parts?

Dermabrasion has the problem of sometimes lightening the skin, and isn’t commonly used anymore as I understand it. I would try chemical peels or more mild methods before resorting to this.

Dear Real,

Since you haven’t gotten a response from anyone who had dermabrasion to get rid of hyperpigmentation, I will offer some information. Dermabrasion is best for scars and not ideal for hyperpigmentation. Dermabrasion can actually cause hyperpigmentation however I do know of one doctor who has developed a technique where he puts his patients on melanocyte supressants in preparation for skin peels (laser, dermabrasion, chemical). Google Dr. Obagi – he developed a method called the blue peel to diminish the risk of hyper/hypo pigmentation.

In any event, I will be attending the medical spa show at Jacob Javits this coming Monday and will check out the current technology… but alas, whom to believe…

All the best,

Arlene

I am finishing up facial electrolysis (2 months w/ no hair) and have found that at-home microdermabrasion helps a lot with healing now that I do not need regular treatments anymore. I use a department store kit that does wonders. My skin is really looking fresh and great. The marks from electrolysis become more and more undetectable with each passing week. I get compliments on my skin all the time and I can’t believe where I was a year ago! Dermabrasion is a pretty big undertaking with down time and possible risks. Maybe you should consider microdermabrasion before you take the leap.

What is the brand of the home micro-dermabrasion kit?

I will email you privately as well as anybody else who is interested because this is only my opinion and experience. I don’t want to seem like I am pushing a specific brand. I’m just trying to share things that have worked for me.

Although some may think that any mention of product names is something evil, in any case where product brand means a difference, it is necessary to name names. Please feel free to just say the name.

There was a time when buying Tea Tree Oil was a mine field of good and bad products. Then the general public became so savvy about looking for pharmaceutical grade stuff in brown bottles that it just got hard to sell anything below that standard. One must still name names if one wants premium Tea Tree Oil, but one no longer needs to say anything more than brown bottle, 35-5 ratio for the average person to find something usable.

thank you all for your kind replies!

At the Jacob Javits show… lots of lasers, IPL, microdermabrasion manufacturers but no one plugging dermabrasion. I think the, “in the house” healing might be too long. What have the dermatologists suggested? Call lots of them as they might make their suggestions based on the equipment they have available.

If the hyperpigmentation is shallow (in the upper layers of the epidermis) and not in the deeper dermal layers, it could be very simple for you to treat on your own. My clients get excellent results using products that contain high concentrations of kojic acid & licorice and some hydroquinone. Since manufacturers change product formulations and the percentages of ingredient concentration, I refer to ingredients rather than product names but if anyone wants a name, Control Corrective is an excellent one at this time…

Good Luck and please keep us informed. I would really like to know about your progress.

Is this the stuff that you are recommending, Arlene?

I don’t see licorice or hydroquinone in the ingredients list. Do these products have to be purchased and used separately from the kojic? OR…is there another product that I can’t find that has all three ingredients in one product?

Thanks,

Dee

HOME : PRODUCTS BY SKINTYPE : HYPERPIGMENTATION
PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT - INTENSIVE SKIN LIGHTENING CREAM
Lightens pigmentation, protects, hydrates, and balances. Provides full-spectrum SPF protection (SPF 30).

Product Goals:
Suppress melanocyte activity, exfoliate surface pigmentation, balance, hydrate, protect

Instructions:
Apply twice daily to clean, dry skin.

Ingredients:
Kojic Acid, Dipalmitate (2%), Zinc Oxide (4%), Octyl Methoxicinnamate (5.5%), Deionized Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Ethylhexyl Methocycinna-mate, Synthetic Beeswax, PVP/Eicosene, Copolymer, Sorbitan, Tristearate, Steareth-100, PEG-100 Stearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Glyceryl Stearate, Avocado Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dimethicone, Xanthan Gum, Imidizolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA

The Control Corrective product that you found is good for those who tend to have hyperpigmentation on their faces as it protects with SPF while suppressing melanocyte activity. This product can also be used to hydrate the face - like one would use a moisturizer. This product can be used daily for as long as you like, as long as your skin shows no sign of objecting.

Folks who are beginning to learn about ingredients might look at the list of ingredients in the above post and wonder why synthetic beeswax is being used instead of natural beeswax… for example. As you learn about ingredients, you will begin to understand that natural beeswax is irritating to many and in the lab, a synthetic one can be created that eliminates that specific aspect that causes the irritation.

OK, now, back to the product…the product that my clients prefer is called: Control Corrective Multi Fade Complex Gel. The 2.5 oz bottle sells for about $37.00 plus tax plus shipping and handling. This product works faster then the one noted in the above post, as it contains exfoliating ingredients. This is not a product to use forever. Use one bottle and then stop. Monitor changes in skin tone.

These quality products are not so easy to find. The ingredients are expensive and to keep the prices down, the manufacturers choose to deal directly with skin care professionals and bypass the drug store chains. Once a product ends up on those shelves, the profit margin drops dramatically for the manufacturer who then tries to bring profit margins back up and that sometimes results in formula changes and too much compromising of product ingredients that results in something that is not nearly as good.

I copied and pasted the company description of the prodcut as follows:

"Control Corrective MULTI-COMPLEX FADE GEL
A synergistic blend of hydroquinone, kojic acid, ascorbic acid, and aloe vera helps to lighten dark spots gradually and even out the complexion.

Instructions:
Apply every evening for the first week. If no irritation or dryness occurs, increase to twice daily. Always follow with sunblock when sun exposure is expected.

Ingredients:
Deionized Water, Glycolic Acid 10%, Hydroquinone 2%, Kojic Acid 2%, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Licorice Extract, Willow-bark Extract, Imidazolidinyl Urea"