Depilatron — big daddy

Wow, the electronic tweezers! I started my electrology practice in 1975, the year the first ET exploded on the scene. What a nightmare; what a battle. I was involved in the State’s investigation posing as a purchaser. Depilatron’s main office was in, of course, Beverly Hills. Two cops hid in the building’s bathroom (with recording devices), and I recorded all the insanity with a hidden microphone.

Then, all of a sudden, somebody came in and said: “Hey, there are two guys in the same bathroom stall.” The cops took off — they heard it through the recording device — and I made my uncomfortable exit. Later, when it became known that I was involved, I got a couple telephone death threats. Yeah, I sure do remember Depilatron — that morphed into Removatron — that morphed into Depillex and a hundred other nonsense items.

BTW, the thing was “invented” by an electrologist (I think her name was Marion Fouzzard). She brought her first machine to Hinkel (a primitive wood cabinet). He still had it when I attended his school. He used to show it in his “fraud lecture” — and then the thing went “big time!”)

Everybody was involved in the fight, but the FDA, in actuality, let us all down. I suppose if the thing doesn’t kill someone they’re not interested.

I suppose in some way “we” did win. Back in 1975 Depilatron sold for $12,000 (what would that be in today’s dollars?) Now, finally, the ET is relegated to sleazy ads and slick websites. The fancy salons are GONE! Sadly, people continue to be scammed — this thing will never die.

I have a funny story about Judith Steven. She actually visited me in Santa Barbara. She was, in Texas terms, a “hoot!” I took her to a semi-fancy restaurant in Montecito and she ordered a stuffed pork chop. She picked the “dang” thing up and waved it around like a pointer. She called the waiter over waiving the pork chop high in the air and a few onions went flying. Funniest thing I’d ever seen. She used to call electrologists: “Needle Nazis!” Sort of a catchy name?

This is one of the big reasons hairtell exists. We advocate for the hair consumer who doesn’t want to see their high hopes bashed by some miracle snake oil device that will deplete their wallet and still leave them hairy. We are all about fighting scams here.

And you are all doing a great job. I never said this, but “God bless” Andrea for putting all this together!

In the 1970’s electric tweezer Depilatron settled numerous legal actions by state attorneys general and dissatisfied consumers, then quietly disappeared. As part of their attempts to fight these lawsuits, they solicited sworn affidavits from physicians expressing their opinion that Depilatron was permanent.

• Harvey Glass reports on five biopsies taken 4 to 48 hours after Depilatron treatment
  • Melvin Shiffman reports taking “numerous” 1-mm biopsies and preparing “numerous” slides
  • Walter Lever examined 7 slides of Harvey Glass’ biopsies

Kurt Stenn is mentioned in the Konnikov report and the Glass affidavit as having reviewed 12 slides, as well, but this unpublished report is not included in any public records found to date.

When time permits, I will scan these affidavits and make them available and check on the credentials of these physicians. Anyone wishing to receive a hard copy may contact me through my feedback page.