Decided on Diode

Howdy folks, I am a new poster, but have done quite a bit of reading on this site and other sites in regard to laser hair removal. I finally decided to take the plunge and have the laser hair removal as of this past Saturday. I consulted with two dermotologists and they both had Alexandrite lasers and the third consult was with a laser clinic who uses the Lightsheer Diode. I decided on the latter after doing some price comparing and determining…as best as I could…that the two lasers have comparable results. The area that I had treated was upper lip and chin.(I am female and have skin type III, dark hair and VERY pale skin) Everything went ok, although more painful than I was prepared for. Today, however, I am not completely “recovered” from the treatment in that my chin looks red and aggravated. I do not have blisters, but the follicles do look red and likely will scab. ugh. My upper lip faired much better. I asked the technician what settings she used and they were at 34 jouls(sp). I called the head techie today to see if my reaction was fairly typical and she indicated that it was not. She thinks that the settings likely were too high.

Anyway, I am somewhat discouraged that I may need to deal with this kind of post treatment pain ongoingly. But I am fairly desparate for the whole thing to work, despite the pain. I can only speculate that between the over sensitivity of my skin and the coarseness of the hair involved, that this is the way its going to be. Any thoughts out there?

34 Joules sounds reasonable for your skin and hair type. Just because you have some red spots does not mean that you will have scabs. The fact that you have some redness around the follicles means that the hair follicles have most likely been treated with a high enough fluence to be effective. You will have redness with electrolysis too. It comes with the territory and you have to accept that (and the pain) for effective hair removal with the diode laser.

I found that redness fades more quickly with the Lightsheer than with the alexandrite lasers.

Nd:YAG lasers have the least post treatment redness, almost none, but I think the Lightsheer is best and quickest laser for your hair type.

The redness will fade, you do not worry so much about it. Follow up treatments will probably result in less redness as hair density goes down.

RJC2001

Hi:

I agree with RJC on the treatment levels. I have just had my arms done with 39 joules on Lightsheer. It is possible to get light scabbing which will go away. Aloe Vera or skin cream which contains aloe and vitamin E will help in the healing.

If the settings are too low the effectiveness can be next to nil. Some would argue that too low a setting can actually increase the hair thickness and density. In any case too low a setting is useless.

Good luck!

Alicia

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. The redness and bumpiness have subsided to some extent. It really did look like someone socked me in the face, since I was pretty swollen, but that too is diminshed. So all I am left with is the paranoia that it might not work or worse, that it will grow back even worse!–but I will keep in mind that the higher settings is the way to go and I will suck it up as far as the pain goes. I will mention, however, that the clinic determined I was skin type III, but I would argue I am more a type II, so hyper senstivity would come with the territory. I did have some electrolosis done about ten years ago, but the technician got frustrated with how my skin was reacting and suggested I just give it up and buy a good shaver. Fine.

I really like this clinic and the gal who treated me had a similar to problem to mine once upon a time, but her chin is now completely smooth. So with this little testemonial, I could not get on the table fast enough! LOL During the treatment, the few hairs it treated,pretty much just “shot” out of my face, but I have not had any additional shedding since. I was expecting at the very least for all of it to be singed after the treatment, but this was not the case.

I had noticed in all my comparison shopping, that the Dr’s of dermatology all used the Alexandrite, but this clinic, and as far as I know the only clinic in town, that uses the diode laser. Money wise, the clinic had a far better deal in that they do 6 treatments for 235.00 each(less 20% if you buy the package) and do any necessary touchups up to a year after the last appointment for free. The dr’s on the other hand charged more per session and offered no extended guarrantees. So, I am hoping I made the right decision.:stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Jules:

Just because they are doctors does not mean they are good laser technicians. My laser technician also does my electrolysis. That is all she does, hair removal. I have been going to her for over 2 years now.

Electrolysis will work, and I am now using that exclusively on my face now. You may have just had a technician who was not very good, or very patient before.
It takes a while to know someones skin and hair.

It is fairly common to get swelling if the hairs are densely packed, especially with electrolysis. Ice helps a lot with the swelling. Aftercare is essential to reduce the scabbing, and quicken the healing. It can also be soothing.

good Luck!

Alicia

Hi Jules:

Just because they are doctors does not mean they are good laser technicians. My laser technician also does my electrolysis. That is all she does, hair removal. I have been going to her for over 2 years now.

Electrolysis will work, and I am now using that exclusively on my face now. You may have just had a technician who was not very good, or very patient before.
It takes a while to know someones skin and hair.

It is fairly common to get swelling if the hairs are densely packed, especially with electrolysis. Ice helps a lot with the swelling. Aftercare is essential to reduce the scabbing, and quicken the healing. It can also be soothing.

good Luck!

Alicia

That is correct. It is rare for the doctor to actually do the laser treatment. It is advantageous for the practitioner to work with a doctor in case complications arise. I’ll take a qualified laser techinician over a doctor who rarely uses a laser any day. There’s no substitute for experience.

RJC2001

That is correct. It is rare for the doctor to actually do the laser treatment. It is advantageous for the practitioner to work with a doctor in case complications arise. I’ll take a qualified laser techinician over a doctor who rarely uses a laser any day. There’s no substitute for experience.

RJC2001

When I first switched laser clinics, the doctors worked on me. But they were in a hurry and not very thorough. After having a nurse/technician work on me, I began requesting them. They did a much more thorough job. I think the doctors just didn’t have the patience for it.

Yes, I intuitively decided on the clinic vs the dermatologists. My feeling was that Doctors or their assistants would likely not do as good a job as a clinic that specialized in LHR. One of my consultations was at a derm who also ran a day spa. This guy had a HAREM of fabulous looking women working for him, had 7 different lasers at his disposal and charged a small fortune per session. So there I was, no makeup, stubbly and feeling like a freak show in the Stepford Clinic. LOL

Anyway, in my stumbling around on line and visiting other LHR forums I came across another person who goes to the same clinic and had the same technician as I did. She had her first treatment about a week before me. Her experience was about polar opposite to mine in that she had less pain during the treatment, negligible after effects and has shed a ton of hair 7 days post treatment.(she had the same areas treated as I, chin and upper lip). I would say this demonstrates pretty vividly how different folks react to the laser, since the techie’s technique and obviouly the laser itself would have been identical.

Anyway, I am 8 days post first treatment. I have some sensitivity still, I keep breaking out in pimples where I was treated.sigh. Basically my follicles/pores are in full riot mode and still no shedding.—this was the same sort of deal I went thru when enduring electrolosis…small wonder the gal encouraged me to hang it up. To be fair she was very competent but I was looking like a pin cushion. Nevertheless, I am staying committed to this current course…I have nothing better to do with my time and money. :wink:

Msjules:
May I ask what you pay for your sessions with the Lightheer Diode? I received a price quote for the bottom half of my legs $125 for the 1st session and $500 for the remaining 5 sessions all together. Is this good. What is the difference between the diode and the aldrexlite or whatever? Thanks so much!

$125 is a very good price for lower legs. $100 per treatment afterwards is even better. Either alexandrite or diode type lasers work well on light skin and dark hair. the technique and cooling methods are a bit different, but overall the results should be similar. The main thing to look for is the experience of the tech. a good one will be able to achieve same results with either type.

Cycler, sorry, I have no idea what they charge for the lower leg. I only had them quote me for upper lip and chin. I live in the Omaha area where the prices are not particularly competitive, since I would say there is only about 6 places that do the LHR.(I am not counting the Light Pulse places since from what I have read, these “laser” treatments are somewhat bogus.)

As I mentioned before, I decided on the Diode not only because the clinic that uses that type of laser was cheaper, but they do also provide a years worth of potential followup for free. I got no such guarrantee from the dermatologists I visited. Plus their techs did not inspire the greatest confidence.

An update to my progress: I am PLEASED to report that all my redness has vanished, my upper lip is completely hairless, shedding started at 7 days post treatment. The chin is about 60% hairless (possibly more, but it"s hard to guage since this was a bad dense area), shedding was noticable about 9 days post treatment and its still shedding.:slight_smile:

My technician’s technique was to apply water base gel to the area first. She did not slide the laser. She lifted it and treated each area with some compression and with some overlap. Even with her apparant thoroughness, it does seem like some areas were missed, but the jury is still out until another week or so has passed.

Anyway, I am pleased with the results I am getting so far—despite my earlier drama and whining. I haven’t been this happy with my appearance since I got the “Rachel” haircut a few years ago. :smiley:

I live in omaha too!

Where do you go. The place that is quoting me so well with the diode is south lincoln dermatology.

Cycler, here is their website:

http://www.sosmooth.net/