Decided on Diode-Part II

Hello, I am now twelve days post my second treatment with the Diode Lightsheer laser. To summarize from my previous posts and experience: I am type II to III skin type, dark coarse hair and I am having upper lip and chin treated. My first treatment was at 32-34 joules/12MM spot size and it was “intense”.(you can read my Decided on Diode post for more details) As I indicated before, once the shedding had started, roughly 8-10 days post treatment, the results were amazing. I had significant reduction-85% under the chin, 40% on my chin and 85% on uppper lip.

For my second treatment, I asked to have the topical anesthetic applied first and the tech also lowered the settings to 30 joules. I am not sure either of these measures were necessary since I had significant reduction from the first session, I believe it would have been less painful, less swelling just on the merits of less density.

Now, in the first session, the tech used the non-automated setting, that is, she took longer pauses between pulses, used compression and overlapped by 30%. The second time she used the automatic setting, and this is why some individuals describe the diode laser application as a “rolling” motion. Obviously with it automatic, they do not “pull the trigger”, it just zaps at a regular rythm and the tech needs to keep it moving—still hopefully overlapping by 30%.

Anyway, it was WAY less painful this time around, and minimal swelling. I was initially concerned that I would not have the same GOOD results from my first treatment, since I figured I needed to suffer for good results.:wink: But as with the first treatment, all of the DARK hair has fallen out as advertised.

Now, with the next issue. I had noticed from the first and second sessions both that the same areas had been “missed”. So, in a moment of curiousity I did the forbidden tweezing of a few of these hairs and to my GREAT annoyance, they were either RED(orange, to be specific) or WHITE mega thick hairs. argh. Obviously, these will not get killed by the laser and unfortunately make up about 20% of my hair issues.

I am assuming I need to finish out my laser regime and then start on electrolysis to finish off the offending white and red hairs. —any quick concise advise on the latter would be appreciated. I can only hope that this method has seen improvement from ten years ago.

Remaining “freak” hairs notwithstanding, I am very pleased with my laser experience thus far.:slight_smile:

electrolysis would be quick for those hairs. you will need multiple sessions of course, but you should have no issues if you find a good electrologist who’s experienced, precise, and fast.

Lagirl, is there ANY chance that the diode laser would kill the red hair? Red is a pigment, isn’t it? :slight_smile: I know, I am pushing my luck. I was thinking if they up the joules maybe it could get a few of these. If not, oh well. I should have been prepared for this, since when I went to an electrolysist ten years ago, she told me I “had red based hair, and it is very difficult to treat”–this was even with electrolysis. Although with all the dark ones out of the way, this should be an easier job-I HOPE. If anyone has a referral for a competent Electrologist in Omaha, let me know.

You can try it. For most people, red hair doesn’t have enough pigment. Certainly high settings needs to be used to try it. Electrolysis doesn’t work like laser by targeting the dark pigment. It doesn’t matter what color the hair is to treat it with electrolysis, it destroys the follicle using heat. So it treats black, red, or blond hair just the same. It takes a bit longer to kill the coarse hair with electrolysis because it’s more resistant, but with laser it’s the other way around.

Jules:
For electrolysis on my face, I see Sarah at Absolute Perfection Electrolysis. They are located on the north corner of 87th and Dodge in the Omaha Imaging Building. She is very professional and does a nice job. Look in the phone book under electrolysis. However, they have just changed their company name so otherwise send me a private message and I will give you the number.

“It takes a bit longer to kill the coarse hair with electrolysis because it’s more resistant, but with laser it’s the other way around.”

Hi lagirl. I just wanted to add some information here about electrolysis and coarse hair. From my experience, a coarse hair can be treated and permanently destroyed the first time if it is an anagen (growing) hair. Of course, one must have the quality, top-notch equipment, utilizing special techniques at the proper levels of intensity and timing to accomplish this. I do a lot of work on women’s faces with super coarse, deep hair of many colors and the speed to clearance to finish is amazing with a good microflash epilator on these hall of famer hairs. An electrologist that is stuck in the past with inferior equipment and know how certainly falls into what you describe about a coarse hair needing more than one treatment. I just wanted to pass on that there is another side related to the ability to kill a coarse hair the first time with electrolysis. Many electrologists can do this with ease.

Dee

Does microflash result in faster treatment. Can you treat more hairs per session with a microflash machine?

My understanding is that electrolysis works equally well on all hair colors. Some may be harder to see and require different lighting, but still is is just as easy to treat.

RJC2001

Since I upgraded my epilator almost two years ago, I have certainly found that changing my strategy has resulted in fewer sessions and more thorough destruction of anagen hairs of all colors and sizes. I really like microflash,but don’t get me wrong, I’m still a great admirer of The Blend. I use them both depending on the situation. Both client and electrologist are still at the mercy of those hair growth cycles for that 9-12 month time frame for most areas, but it is very rare not to get first clearance faster with microflash and thereafter, maintain clearance until the end comes and there is no more offending hair to treat.

Off subject here, but I read a blurb in yesterday’s “Wall Street Journal” (11-3-05) about Cutera’s stock jumping an amazing 21% because their third quarter earnings topped their projections. So if you bought $3,000 worth of the stock earlier this year, you now have $9,000. I even saw that show called “Mad Money” with Jim Cramer, you know the guy that screams and rants and bites the heads off plastic bulls on CNBC, he mentioned Cutera also. You guys have got to watch this show at least once. The last fifteen minutes is where the noise cranks up and Jim Cramer goes wild, I mean literally WILD! If you felt calm and peaceful before watching his show, I guarantee you will be a wreck after watching this guy for even five minutes.

One other note, Candela was up 13%. I’m not sure why. I guess two of the three laser companies are doing pretty well. RJC and lagirl, you probably know the names of Cutera and Candela’s hair removal lasers, I don’t. I thought you two would be interested in how they are doing on the NASDAQ and maybe buy some stock???

Dee

I read a blurb in yesterday’s “Wall Street Journal” (11-3-05) about Cutera’s stock jumping an amazing 21% because their third quarter earnings topped their projections. So if you bought $3,000 worth of the stock earlier this year, you now have $9,000. I even saw that show called “Mad Money” with Jim Cramer, you know the guy that screams and rants and bites the heads off plastic bulls on CNBC, he mentioned Cutera also. You guys have got to watch this show at least once. The last fifteen minutes is where the noise cranks up and Jim Cramer goes wild, I mean literally WILD! If you felt calm and peaceful before watching his show, I guarantee you will be a wreck after watching this guy for even five minutes.

One other note, Candela was up 13%. I’m not sure why. I guess two of the three laser companies are doing pretty well. RJC and lagirl, you probably know the names of Cutera and Candela’s hair removal lasers, I don’t. I thought you two would be interested in how they are doing on the NASDAQ and maybe buy some stock???

Dee

Thanks for the stock tip! Cutera makes the Coolglide Nd:YAG lasers and the new Prowave 770. Candela makes the Gentlelase.

It used to be that Lumenis (Lightsheer) was sumber one. My practitioner told me that Cutera was no number one. But I don’t know if it was in hair removal lasers overall or just the Nd:YAGs.

I get a magazine called Laser Focus World. It covers all industrial lasers and optics, not just medical lasers. They had forecast sales of medical lasers to remaining steady this year. Maybe Cutera’s growth is due to new product introductions. I don’t know anything new from Candela though.

Hopefully I will get to try the Coolglide and/or Prowave 770 soon. They do have a local sales office and it should be easy to get a demo.

RJC2001

Dee, thanks for your input on electrolysis. In shopping around for a tech I am gathering that I should look for someone who at the very least uses the Blend method and if possible someone who has the Microflash epilator.

My brief experience with electrolysis ten years ago plus involved “old technology” for sure. I recall her trying to deal with the coarsest hairs first…the abominable red ones, and her explaining that it would take MANY treatments per follicle. I was afraid it would scar the heck out of my face so I just gave it up. Some of these former red ones have turned white over time, it would seem. They are definately deep as well and in some cases double hairs… for crying out loud!

Still, the majority of my hair problem is dark so the laser is working beautifully. The laser indeed does like the darkest coarsest hair–they literally pop out of your face during treatment, with the rest falling out after several days. I am currently enjoying a relatively hair free period(till the next bunch come in) and it’s just so cool!

Unfortunately, not all electrologists take advantage of the best permanent hair removal epilators on earth. They really don’t know what they are missing. I understand why they are reluctant to up grade. I believe when one gets comfortable with what they have and they have no doubt how to use it, they just don’t want to start over and feel the anxiousness of having to re-learn something new. I have had the priveledge to try out many different professional epilators over a few years and there REALLY is a difference in quality and performance. Okay James, here it comes… I never forget to mention our dear James Walker on this one. James is the one that I owe my happiness and satisfaction to as an electrologist regarding which epilator to purchase when I was searching around for answers two years ago. He led me to something good and he wasn’t wrong. He deserves the credit here. If he advises that there is something better than the product I have now, I’ll be on the wagon ready to go.

I’m happy that you are getting good results from laser and it sounds like you already understand that you will need electrolysis to polish off the rest. An electrologist using any epilator or any modality will get you permanent results. I only express information that I have found to be helpful and expedient for me and my clients and just wanted to pass this on to anyone who is interested. As you get those consults, you will decided correctly what helps you the most.

Dee