dark spots on my leg...

I’ve had laser hair removal done on my bikini, legs and underarms and have been very happy with the results. But I still have some marks (hyperpigmentation?) on one upper leg that have not gone away, and it’s been 2 years since my last treatment. While they are not dark, and have lightened since the treatment, they are noticeable and don’t seem to be lightening any more.
Is there any way to treat this or is it permanent?

Unfortunately, the place where I had it done has since closed down, so I can’t go back there and show them my problem. Someone recommended hydroquinone cream. Is this safe? Is it readily available? And will it work and how should I go about getting some?

Any suggestions will be most welcome.
Thank you!
MLSC

I’ve had laser hair removal done on my bikini, legs and underarms and have been very happy with the results. But I still have some marks (hyperpigmentation?) on one upper leg that have not gone away, and it’s been 2 years since my last treatment. While they are not dark, and have lightened since the treatment, they are noticeable and don’t seem to be lightening any more.
Is there any way to treat this or is it permanent?

Sometimes you will see post inflammatory hyperpigmentation post surgery. Hyperpigmentation results from the inflammatory response which stimulates melanocyte activity. Ususlly this hyperpigmentation is transient or temporary and will disappear.

I don’t know if you were warned about going into the sun or what your skin type is or what your age is, but these are all factors. Since you indicate that the hyperpigmentation was a direct response to your laser treatments and you still have darkened areas after 2 years, begin educating yourself on how glycolic acids can help you. Low pH, non-neutralizing 30% glycolic acids are often recommended. Speak with a dermatologist about this.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply.

I have quite fair skin and dark brown hair. I get minimal sun exposure and when I do, I lather on the sunblock. I’ve gotten minimal sun on my legs, so I don’t think it could have attributed to the spots.

I’ve read that some over the counter bleaching cream is helpful. Is that something I should try?

Thanks again.

Even with hydroquinone, bleaching creams may cause some lightening of the skin however, once you stop using the product, repigmentation almost always occurs.

If you are committed to using a skin-lightening cream, check out Obaji products. Obaji is a physician who developed a pre-surgical protocol for treating patients who are prone to hyperpigmentation and I recently read that he now has an aftercare skin lightening product line available.

Still, I don’t know how much these products will help in the long run.

Good luck!