Cutera's Laser Woes

Cutera’s Laser Woes
Aesthetic laser maker has cloudy future of lower sales, earnings, and lawsuits.

By Rich Duprey
Updated: 9:35 a.m. ET Feb. 14, 2006

Aesthetic laser maker Cutera(Nasdaq: CUTR) singed investors yesterday with an earnings report that beat analyst forecasts but left them wanting for the future. And hanging ominously over that future is a patent infringement lawsuit with rival laser manufacturer Palomar Medical Technologies(Nasdaq: PMTI).

The maker of laser hair removal and skin treatment technology notched some pretty respectable numbers: revenues up 49% for the quarter, 44% for the year. Profits jumped to $0.41 per share for the quarter and to $1.00 per share for the year, versus $0.16 and $0.31, respectively. Operating margins also improved markedly. Blah. Blah. Blah.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement
[0]

It’s not a case of what have you done for me lately, but rather, what will you do for me in the future. This is where Cutera slips on the banana peel. First-quarter revenues and earnings are expected to come in below analyst forecasts, while the company said full-year earnings will be flat. The big bugaboo, though, is the lawsuit with Palomar scheduled to get underway in May.

Palomar contends Cutera’s CoolGlide pulsed light laser system violates three of its 33 patents relating to an exclusive licensing agreement it has with Massachusetts General Hospital, which is also a party to the lawsuit. It settled similar litigation with another laser maker Lumenis, which now trades on the pink sheets as a shell of its former self, paying to Palomar over $4 million in past royalties. A second lawsuit against Cutera was filed last year.

Cutera’s liability, however, is far more severe than that of Lumenis, which was allowed to continue selling its lasers after the settlement, by paying Palomar a continuing 5% royalty. But Palomar says no such deal is in the works for Cutera. It will not license the technology to Cutera, and it’s seeking treble damages, claiming Cutera’s actions constitute a willful infringement of its patents. It’s a bleak situation, and one court has already dismissed Cutera’s attempt to have the lawsuit summarily dismissed.

Other companies also sell pulsed light laser systems. Leading aesthetic laser manufacturer Candela(Nasdaq: CLZR) was a late-comer to the party, selling its competing Ellipse system that it licensed from Danish Dermatologic Development. Candela has repeatedly said it does not infringe on Palomar’s patents, nor has it been informed that it does. True enough. Palomar’s lawsuits against Lumenis and Cutera stretch back almost four years, plenty of time for Palomar to weigh in with its lawyers.

While Cutera’s performance to date has been admirable, it won’t amount to much if Palomar is successful. Glowing sales on pirated technology don’t make for a pretty future.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11345458/

Thanks for the link! I was familiar with the lawsuit but was unsure of the current status. Last I heard the actual trial was supposed to start on January 12. Looks like there was a continuance or something.

Other articles that I read said that the infringement claim also involves the Prowave 770 IPL.

Sounds like this author has already tried and convicted Cutera.

I would like to know more specifics of Palomar claims. Looking at it from a non-lawyer’s point of view, Palomar doesn’t really have an equivalent product on the market to compare to the Lightsheer of Coolglide. All that Palomar has for hair removal is the Estelux IPL system. Are they sitting on some technology that we don’t know about?

I had a Harmony demo the other day. The rep said that Cutera is in great shape and can withstand anything that Palomar can throw at them. So this should be interesting.

I am going to have Cutera demo (hoopefully the Coolglide) in about one week. I suppose it will be the best machine I have tried yet since there is a possibility it will be taken off the market due to legal maneuvering.

I like working in engineering. But sometimes I wish I had gone into patent law. They make a bare minimum of $350 per hour!

RJC2001

Palomar Says Cutera Would Pay $15.5 Mln As Royalty; Settles Patent Suit

Per the ruling of the court, Cutera will pay $15.5 million to Palomar as an 8.5% royalty on sales of their laser-and-lamp-based hair removal systems.

Palomar Says Cutera Would Pay $15.5 Mln As Royalty; Settles Patent Suit

Per the ruling of the court, Cutera will pay $15.5 million to Palomar as an 8.5% royalty on sales of their laser-and-lamp-based hair removal systems.

Andrea, do you have a link to the article?

RJC2001