Cream To Fade Burns

I had about 7 laser treatments back 3 years ago. I got a couple of spot burns and they gave me a cream that after a few weeks faded the burn to my normal skin color. After the 7th and last treatment i had 2 spot burns that have faded but are still very noticeable. I cant remember the cream that they gave me…all i know is that they had two types, one being a cream, the other a clear ointment. Could somone please provide me with a name of such a product?

If its any relevance…im male, type 3 or 4 skin, had arms, back and shoulders done, with mimimal results…remaining burns are on upper arms…only 2 or 3 the size of a head of a pencil earaser and some other minor discoloration on the other arm, but likely because of shaving…thanks

a dermatologist will be able to prescribe the best strongest cream for you. can you provide more details (laser used, settings if available) and place of your treatments so others can avoid? Is the place still around? Can you ask them what they gave you?

I dont remember the name of the laser used, but only after inquiring many months after my last laser treatment, i found out it was an alexandrite. I didnt know the dynamics of laser hair removal at the time, and now know that it was the wrong laser to use. I wish the company I went to had told me this. But obviously, they wanted my money. I went to a place called LCI Laser Hair Removal. Its a chain of offices in the Toronto area. They lady who did my treatments was opening her own laser clinci (she was just an employee at LCI) and i kinda feel she may have not given me the most effective treatments as possible (but i know the laser wasnt the most suitable to me)…I didnt see shedding on all areas all the time…but did always on the upper chest area which still today has a noticable reduction compared to other untreated of the chest.

In regards to the cream, I’d rather not contact the clinic, especally after 3 years. During the treatments, I had to purchase the cream from a pharamacy, but it was without a prescription. I just asked the clerk and it was behind the counter…i think it started with an ‘H’ or a ‘C’.

Might it have been hydrocortisone or cortisone?

when u said hydra in rings a bell…cud’ve been hyraquin…or hyroquin…somehthing ‘quin’

Okay, then it is probably hydroquinone, which is an agent used to manage hyperpigmentation spots. Hydroquinone has been the gold standard for treating hyperpigmentation for over 50 years. Two percent concentations are available over the counter, but are not as efficacious as the 3% and 4% formulas that require a prescription from a doctor.

Finding products that contain kojic acid and licorice would be a good choices for hyperpig spots as well.

Dee

Dee, glad you commented on it. I’ll eventually need to use this to lesson hyperpigmentation that I have. Can I ask you some questions? How long, how many times does a person use this? Does it affect the natural skin tone? Will effect my ability to tan normally? I’d just like to start getting familiar with it. As always, thanks.

Mantaray

I know this was for Dee but i’ll share my expereince with it…

Each burn took a different amount of time…but on average i had to use it for 10-14 days, every day…Some of the burns had faded about 70% and i stopped using the creeam. These burns eventually faded completely on thier own in oh, about 2 months…you only have to put on a very thin layer of this cream for it to work. The cream I had told me to put it on at night only. It eventually faded the skin to my normal skin color and it looks as if the skin had never been hyperpigmentated. Sorry, but I dont know the anser to your tanning question. I’m sure it shouldnt be an issue eventually though, but wait for a more experienced person’s response…

Hope it helps

Mantaray,

In regard to your questions, I needed to search for information I thought I heard a couple weeks ago about hydroquinone from a client of mine. Sorry it took a little longer to get back on this, but here is the information I was looking for:

"FDA Proposes Hydroquinone Ban
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Medical Editor: Jay W. Marks, MD

On August 29, 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) proposed a ban on over-the-counter sales of cosmetic products containing hydroquinone, a skin-bleaching (lightening) ingredient. According to the FDA, approximately 65 companies sell over 200 different types of skin-lightening products containing hydroquinone in the U.S. Currently, products that contain up to 2 percent hydroquinone may be sold in the U.S. without a prescription, and prescription skin-lightening products may contain up to 4 percent hydroquinone. Examples of prescription products containing hydroquinone are Lustra, Tri-Luma, and EpiQuin Micro.

Hydroquinone products are popular for their skin-lightening properties in Asian and African cosmetics markets. In the U.S., they also are marketed for reducing age spots and blemishes.

The reason cited for the proposed ban is that studies in rodents show “some evidence” that hydroquinone may act as a carcinogen or cancer-causing chemical, although its cancer-causing properties have yet to be proved in humans. Hydroquinone also has been linked with the medical condition known as ochronosis in which the skin becomes dark and thick. Dome-shaped yellowish spots and grayish-brown spots also are observed in ochronosis among black women and men in South Africa, Britain, and the U.S. Ochronosis has been observed in conjunction with hydroquinone use even in persons who have used hydroquinone-containing cosmetics for a short time. Some studies also report abnormal function of the adrenal glands and high levels of mercury in people who have used hydroquinone-containing cosmetics. For these reasons, hydroquinone has already been banned in Japan, the European Union, and Australia.

Any skin-lightening products containing hydroquinone would be considered new drugs, according to the proposed FDA regulations. The products would require FDA approval before being sold to the public and would only be available with a doctor’s prescription.

Following the proposed ban, a four-month comment period is in effect regarding the proposed changes in regulations during which time physicians, skin care companies, and consumers may voice their opinions and concerns about the proposed ban. It is not yet known if and when the proposed ban would take effect.

Reference: Federal Register: August 29, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 167)
Proposed Rules, Page 51146-51155.

Last Editorial Review: 9/15/2006"

There are other products that you can use to speed the fading process or you can just let any hyperpig marks fade gradually on their own after you complete your electrolysis treatments. That’s what many people do,including me when I had electrolysis done. All was fine with my skin several months later. I am always very cautious when trying to decide whether to use anything that may alter the skin’s natural structure. When one uses a hydroquinone product, it interfers with the production of melanin and makes the skin more susceptible to skin cancer. Prolonged use can thicken the skin making it look rough and blotchy,too.

That’s my thoughts, but maybe I’m going overboard here with concern???

Dee

thanks for that info…what are these other products that you speak of. I dont mind if it takes longer, as long as its potential side effects are less.

Thanks again

First off, sun exposure can mess up any progress you make with any therapy, so be sure to use a broad spectrum sunscreen as you are using products to control the hyperpigmentation. Tretinoin, azelaic acid, kojic acid are agents that can be helpful for lightening the skin as well.

You’ll have to do some searching on your own and work together with a physician or esthetician to figure out what would be best for you.

Turmeric pastes can help lighten the scars