Course and fine hairs

I posted this on another board, but I want some other opinions.

I want to get some hair removed from my back and shoulders. I have thick course hairs on my upper back and shoulders and fine hairs in the middle and lower back. Is it easier to remove the thin hairs than the thick course hairs? Also is there any way that if I treat the thin hairs that they can get thicker? I read something along those lines that someone got lhr done and the hairs appear thicker now. Finally how many treatments am I looking at in getting the hairs really thin. I am not even looking at total removal or anything I just want them really fine. I have very fair skin (i think type I or II) and my hair is black. (Also what is the best laser to use) I know this is alot of questions, but thanks in advance for replys.

The laser is more effective on the coarse hairs. It will get thinner hairs too if the fluence is high enough.

The laser will not make hair thicker. Some hairs that were not in the early growth cycle when treated may come back finer than before and may grow at a slower rate too. I have a small amount of hair that came back so fine I can hardly see it.

After about 4-5 treatments you will see a big difference. You may well be satisfied at that point. I want total hair removal and continued beyond that point. I only have 5-10% of my back hair left if that much. Same with my chest. I have some white hairs left that the laser won’t destroy so I may have electrolysis done on those. I never noticed the white hairs (which are very coarse) until most of the dark hair was gone.

IMHO the best laser is the Lightsheer ET diode laser. It can output up to 60J and has a great cooling system. Since you have light skin and dark hair you can use higher fluence levels and really blast those follicles. My first treatments were with the Apogee which was a goood laser too but I have had even better results with the Lightsheer.

Hope this helps.

RJC2001

Yes that helped alot. Thank you. Can you give me a breif description of your experience. Are you male/female? Type of skin, hair type and color. And where you had the treatments done (what part of your body) and how many treatments. If you can provide me with this I would appreciate it. I am at the point now where I have done enought research and I am going to get LHR done in the near future when my funds are sufficient.

Other forums? :fearful:

RJC is right about thicker hairs responding better (they have more melanin). The darker and thicker the hair, the more dramatic your result can be.

Some companies are claiming that putting a melanin lotion into the follicles can improve treatment on finer hairs, but this has not been demonstrated in published clinical data.

Mcease, I am a male and have had my back chest and upper arms treated with both alexandrite and diode lasers. The Apogee (alex) was good but the diodes like the Apex 800 and the Lightsheer ET have worked even better.

I get about 2-3 treatments on each area in the winter months. My skin is relatively dark. I tan easily but it will fade enough in the winter for LHR. I have had about 8-10 treatments total per area over the last 3 years. I am very pleased. The later treatments remove less hair because there is less hair to remove. But when my practitioner switched to the Lighsheer ET diode laser, I noticed a definite increase in tha amount of hair removed. The diode laser penetrates deeper into the follicles and you can feel the difference but it is bearable.

I may have my beard done next. I work out with weights and eventually want all my body hair gone for the increased muscular definition and comfort. I am considering having my legs done too. Fortunately they are not extremely hairy so shaving works OK.

When I started LHR I had so much chest hair I could not see my skin if I let it grow out. Now my chest and back hair are about 90% gone. It has taken a lot of time and persisten but it has been well worth it. I feel like a different person.

RJC2001

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by Andrea:
<strong>
Some companies are claiming that putting a melanin lotion into the follicles can improve treatment on finer hairs, but this has not been demonstrated in published clinical data.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Andrea, are you talking about a Carbon lotion? COuld we buy this lotion or do the professionals only have it? What is their technical term so I can do some reasearch about this…

I am interested in using this ( I wont lose anything!) when I go for my lower-back IPL sessions.

Thanks! :smile:

[ December 28, 2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Lady_Persia ]