Cost and efficacy for large areas

I’m a 21-year-old mail with unwanted hair just about everywhere. I did Nair, tried NADS (painful and totally ineffective), and have given up after those two. The hair does interfere with my quality of life, as I’m a little awkward without a shirt on around strangers. So I’d like to get rid of it, if it’s reasonable.

Here’s what I’m wondering: for back and shoulders, what’s the most effective method? I do have one keloid scar (no idea where it came from), so I think laser is out of the question, and I’m afraid that electrolysis may not be feasible for that reason either. More importantly, what does it cost? I understand that it’ll take a LOT of time, but just how much? For my shoulders, chest, tummy, and back, what would I pay and how long would it take? And if this isn’t an option, what is? I can’t wax my own back, you know, and my roommate would likely grow tired of it.

Thank you for your help. This is a great idea and very useful. BTW, Andrea, I think cost estimates would be a great way to improve your site. :smile:

Hi Patch–

Precise cost estimates are almost impossible to make, and the larger the area, the more range there is.

Electrolysis usually costs 50 cents to $2.00 a minute. For larger areas with dense hair, it can be very time-consuming and expensive. A male back could probably take anywhere from 25 to 250 hours. That gives you a price range of $750 to $30,000, with maybe like $6,000 as a average if you forced me to pull a meaningless number out of my butt.

That’s why it’s often useful for men with a lot of back hair to get a few laser treatments if they’re a good candidate (light skin, lots of dark hair).

[ September 09, 2002, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

Andrea,

Thanks for the reply. I looked into laser briefly, but I think that my history of keloid scarring makes me ineligible (I’ve got just one, but still…) I’ll figure it out.

-P

I advise anyone with a condition like keloids to consult with a dermatologist before seeking permanent hair removal. I would also recommend not one but several test patches at the energy level they plan to use, performed in an inconspicuous area with hair and skin similar to the area you wish to treat.

[ September 09, 2002, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

This is so true to seek out a dermatologist to let you know if your prone to keloids! This is more common in African Americans then in whites. Although it can happen I ask this as a question during a consultation because I dont want to be held responsible for someone who does get keloids.When getting electrolysis done you can keloid! I have never had this happen but it is something to be aware of.

I am very sensitive to this because I am an electrologist, and my own body is prone to keloid.

Keloids are genetic, and they can occure in persons from any race, or nationality. If you are prone to keloiding, your shirt collar rubbing against your neck can cause a keloid. If you are not prone to them, then you won’t get one no matter what.

One thing to take note of however, is that keloid formation has a lot to do with the body’s immune responce to foreign matter, so keeping the area extra clean, and being copious about your after care should be a priority.

I should note that although I have keloids on my scalp from childhood perms and other hair care and “beauty treatments”, my face has had over 300 hours of electrolysis with never a single keloid.

James W. Walker VII, CPE

PS, has your dermatologist tried erythromicine gel for the keloid on your back yet?