Considering using and epilator and need advice.

Ever since I was about 15 (I am now 31) I have always bleached my facial hair, specifically the hair above my lip. In the last year or so bleaching had become increasingly frustrating because I had to do it every four or five days, so I switched to waxing at salons. I hate it!! My hair grows really fast and within five or six days I get regrowth, not to mention that I have yet to find a salon that does a really good job to begin with (I’ve even been slightly burned once or twice.) I am now considering getting an epilator to use at home myself. I am really only interested in removing the hair above my lip, which is not thick or anything, it’s just really dark. I did a product search on line but don’t really know what’s good and what’s not. Has anyone ever used Epilady Gold Esthetic Sensitive Facial Epilator (ME-803-00), or recommend another product that is good to use on the face. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Braun Silk-epil facial hair epilator was a good device, but it’s been discontinued.

Folica: Braun facial epilator

You might be able to find an old one on eBay. If not. the Epilady device is pretty much the only game in town for facial epilators:

Epilady: Gold Esthetic

(5 items down on page)

These things hurt the closer you get to your nostrils (just like plucking), but they can speed the job up once you get the hang of it.

Thanks for the information. Do you recommend epilation on the face? Are the results any different than waxing. I’m a little scared. I know it probably hurts a little more than waxing but I’m willing to deal with the pain if it’s going to be more convenient for me. What do you think?

It takes longer than waxing, so the pain is spread out a little more. I wouldn’t say it hurts more, just longer. It’s faster than plucking, though.

Facial epilators aren’t super-big sellers, but some women swear by them. The advantage over shaving or waxing is that it’s possible with practice to get only the thick hairs and leaving the downy ones. This makes your skin look a little less “waxy” than removing all the hairs.

I have the same problem with dark hair on my upper lip, but it isn’t very thick. I have had excellent results with SurgiCream depilitory, available at Walgreens, and probably Wal-Mart. It smells like hair chemicals, but it lasts a good while (about a month or so) and isn’t expensive at all. I find it gets almost all of the hairs, except for a few around the corners of my mouth, which are plucked very easily because they are soft from the depilitory. Good luck!
Amy

I have tried depilatories in the past but for whatever reason, I find that I get a lot of ingrown hairs with this method. I think I’m going to give epilation a try. Thank you all so much for the information…it has been really helpful.