Considering starting medications for hirsutism...

I’ve read up on some of the medications to help with hirsutism, such as spironolactone and I’ve been debating whether or not to go that route. About a year ago I had my hormones tested and according to my family doctor, they came back normal. My periods are irregular and I’ve been told the likely cause is PCOS, but I have yet to have an ultrasound of my ovaries done.

Some questions that I have are:

1. I’ve talked to my family doctor before about the hair issue and menstrual issue, which he addressed by sending me to my gyno who had my hormones tested. Should I go back to my family doctor to inquire about these medications? Or should I go to a gyno or endocrinologist?

2. For those who have used the medications, how successful have they been on your current hair problem? I realize it won’t get rid of the hair you have, but will help reduce it or slow the growth process down. Anything to help this issue would be grand! What have your experiences been?

3. What medications have been shown to work the best for you?

Any speciality doctor can prescribe the medications. Who takes the most interest in your problem? Who seems the most knowledgeable concerning your problem? Who gave you a diagnosis? If you have access to an endocrinologist, I would start there. Whoever you go to, advocate for yourself and learn about PCOS / hirsutism and medications from all sources possible.

www.soulcysters.com is one good source.

Many on the forum mention that regular MDs and gynos are not experts on hormonal hair issues and don’t take it seriously. An endocrinologist will be able to tell you for you. I wouldn’t do anything until you see one.

Hormonal medication has different effects on different people, especially when the source of growth may be different. I would see an endo and go from there.

Taking 50g of spiro a day has helped the hair considerably (body hair the most, face by taking spiro and doing electrolysis). I’d recommend it. Also gives you perfect acne free skin.

Never, ever laser your face/neck. I got induced hair growth from it worse than what I went in to be treated for in the first place. Only do electrolysis on the face/neck, never laser. It’s not worth the risk.

Oh, and my hormones are in normal range too. I have weird periods and a couple cysts on my ovaries, (I mean I’ve had ALL the tests done) but frankly it was pretty much all inconclusive on whether I actually have PCOS or not. It was enough to convince the doctors to give me a prescription though but all I had to do was mention that I have weird periods, too much body hair, and a couple cysts on my ovaries which are all very vague subjective problems that don’t really mean there’s something wrong with you…anyway, give a low-dose spiro a go. Best of luck!

Hi there, I just started spiro and yasmine how long did it take for you to see changes ?

Hi Megs-- Results vary widely, but most people see changes in body hair in a few months. Facial hair can take longer and is affected by a number of other things like age, weight, and medical conditions.