Confused about right laser and minimum J/cm2

Hi all,

Well as the subject of this topic is saying, I’m confused about the right laser and my skin type. I have a olive skin, so I’m kinda confused which type skin I have on the fitzpatrick scale, I personally think a type 3 or maybe between 3 and 4 if I just compare pictures of skin types. But if I use a list with questions to determine my skin type I’m directly in the type 4 and 4.5. While I don’t have a caramel skin color, I think it’s because I tan very quick and that is causing the outcome. What I’m wondering is: is someone with an olive skin a type 3 or 4?
I already found out via the FAQS that the best laser for me I think is a diode laser, but I’m confused because I have very coarse and black hair, and the diode is best for brown hairs, right? Well than the option goes to an YAG which is good for black hair but doesn’t fit my skin type.

I also found that the minimum J/cm2 for permanent reduction is 15 J/cm2, but I don’t know if this is correct.

Thanks in advance for reading and answering.
I appreciate it:)

Skin 4 is probably a safer bet also considering there’s underlying pigment in the skin. Darker hair is always better for every laser type. There’s more than just joules for effective hair treatment: there’s spot size and pulse width that need to be accounted for. As you can see here, we have a list of commonly used lasers and recommended settings from the manufacturers: