Concerned with progress and treatment

Hi there,
I have been having solely electrolysis for 6 months on my upper and lower (just under lower) lips and I am getting worried about the complete lack of progress and the state of my face after. I think its thermolysis with a setting of 78. I also use Emla 5% on my lip about half an hour before the session to take the edge off.

I had to change the electrologist for this course of sessions as the person I was using previously left the centre I go to. This person has been treating me for an hour session every 2 weeks since the end of July. I was at a complete clearance of the top and lower lip by mid July but it still seems to be taking pretty much the whole hour to maintain the clearance at every session and my face is getting very sore.

Compared to the previous electrologist this person seems to to ‘Zap’ me really quickly after removing the previous hair and I am wondering if they are really getting the ‘needle’ in to the correct depth. I did ask her how she can tell when its in far enough and got the reply ‘You Just do’ where as the other persons response was about feeling the resistance of the follicle which makes more sense and gave confidence.

My face after a session has always been worse with this electrologist and these pictures are typical and it takes days 5-7 to get to normal where as previously it only lasted a day and very rarely had any scarring at all.

This photo was taken immediately after my last session: 30th Nov

This was taken the day after: 1st Dec

And this one is today (please ignore the coldsores that have turned up!!)

I am not sure my face can take much more of this and am really starting to lose hope?

Background : I started my facial hair removal journey 2 and half years ago (June 21) with laser (Alex) but they couldn’t get rid of the lip hairs, top and lower after 16 sessions to the end of 2022.
For the first half of this year I had three further laser sessions Jan, March & May for the dark hairs and electrolysis for the white blond hairs, by 4th June I had a top lip full of black hairs!!
The laser clinic tried turning it up for the 3 sessions earlier this year but I ended up with PLE/Hyperpigmentation or the tech didn’t clear the EMLA cream properly which has just been dismissed by them, but that’s another story. They also tried the Ndyag laser but I just ended up with blisters and holes so I told them to stop and was hoping that electrolysis could finish it off.
I also started Finasteride in Oct 21 for Male Pattern Baldness.

If your electrologist has been completely clearing the area every two weeks, I would expect to start seeing some progress now that you’ve completed six months. It won’t be a dramatic difference yet, but it’s usually at this point (after six to nine months of treatment) that I start reducing session time and/or leaving longer in between sessions for my clients.

If you continue electrolysis with a skilled operator, you should start noticeably gaining ground in the next few months.

However, looking over the images you provided, I have some serious concerns about your current electrologist. The white spots at each treated follicle indicate that the current has reached the top layer of skin. This is because the energy levels are too high and/or the insertions are too shallow. This should obviously be avoided. If I see this happen on even one follicle on a client, that’s my cue to change my approach immediately. If an electrologist can treat a whole lip without noticing this overtreatment, then they need to go back to the classroom.

I would be finding another electrologist who can provide a more gentle, careful treatment.

3 Likes

I am sorry Thermo, I cant give your response more than a heart, it’s deserving of a gold star!

1 Like

@Thermo Thank you for your response, which unfortunately compounds my fears. Given that my previous electrologist didn’t create the same outcome with the same energy levels would it be logical to assume that the main more likely reason is the ‘too shallow’ insertion?

Given it has been this electrologist treating/clearing my lip fortnightly is it likely that I have made any progress at all? Trying to figure out if I have completely wasted time and money with this person, but am getting the general impression that I have been ‘zapped’ and plucked for 6 months!!

Hi Simon1,
Just seeing your post.
To improve or avoid this healing process apply salt & warm water after the treatment. Bring it with you on the appointment. Yes, it will sting right after the treatment, but works well! One day later (24 hours later) is typical, if you should get a breakout. Continue appling the salt am and pm twice a day for a few days. This will help minimalize this reaction, going forward.
Over the counter neosporin is popular in our office. OR Hydrocortisone 1% Cream. Do not mix these product or use together. Maybe use one in the am and one in the pm to help the healing process.

About the settings, do not talk about this please on the post because the settings vary from electrologists and or the machine epilator to epilator brands and the electricity that goes on in the building.

As for the amount of hair… there is about 2-3 layers more of hairs under the skin. I’m not saying they are still there, but you may see residual hairs or need touch ups even if you think you are done. Laser helps reduce the hairs quicker than electrolysis if folks are a candidate for laser. Remember to check contraidications for your medication as some medicines may stimulate hairs. If the hair follicle is properly treated with electrolysis then it usually does not form again. Hairs may stimulate in other areas not treated.

For more information read the book: “Transgender Profiles: Time for a Change” by Linda DeFruscio-Robinson. It is very educational and will answer your hair & skin problems during electrolysis and much more.
All emails welcomed:drlaser@comcast.net

Happy Holiday Season and 2024 to everyone!