Concerned About Treatment

Hi all -

I’ve been having electrolysis on my eyebrows, upper-lip, and chin for about a year and a half. I now have about 35 hairs on my chin, 10 on the lip, and 40 on eyebrows combined. These numbers were about double when I started, so there has been some progress, but I thought I’d be done by now if not a lot sooner. Most of my appointments were every two weeks, and I recently started going every three weeks. I’m pretty sure my electrologist told me in the beginning that she could have me finished in about 6 months, so I’m not sure what happened.

My concern is that maybe it’s because if the ‘plucking’ feeling. I’ve read a couple of places on this site that if you have this feeling, it’s not being done right. Is this completely true? It’s feels to me like almost every hair is being plucked. She does a ‘zap zap zap’, then ‘pluck pluck pluck’.

Like I said, I used to have double the hairs that I do now, so it must have been done right somehow.

My concern is that maybe I would have been finished a while ago if I’d have gone to someone else because of the ‘plucking’ feeling. Otherwise, I really like her and everything else has gone well.

So what does everyone think? I’m very interested to hear any responses. Sorry this got so long, I was just afraid I might not explain well.

Thankyou!!

Although I have not been in your situation myself, or have any direct experience of anyone who has, it sounds like you should be looking for someone else to do the work on you… as you read more and more about peoples experiences, it is clear that Electrolysis done by a competent person, with decent equipment WILL give lasting results with very little trauma to the skin being treated.

Your situation sounds like you need someone with better skills, better equipment, or both… in other words, someone else…

HTH,

David

Thankyou so much for replying. I’m really just concerned about the plucking feeling, which I’ve never heard was a problem till I came to this board. So you think I should have been done by now?

I’m also interested in what James and Andrea may have to say about my situation. I see that James replies to a lot of the posts, is he still around?

James is just coming back from a very successful, and much needed “lost weekend”. I guess Andrea and I will never feel unwanted. We can’t go away for a day or two without someone asking where are they :grin:

There are two very different situations where you would feel something when the hairs are epilated. One is ok, one is not. If a hair that is not in Anagen growth phase is treated, it often has very little moisture, and frequently has a large ball of matter at the end of the shaft. This ball of dry matter is larger than the follicle that it is being pulled out of, and unless the practitioner turns up the power to blast a hole large enough to clear a space for it, there will be a little “pop” when that mass comes out of the hair shaft. This can also happen when treating anagen hairs with a newer machine on a setting made to treat only the lowest portion of the papilla while leaving the upper layers of skin untouched. If your epithelium is thick, you may feel the same kind of “pop” when these hairs are removed. This happens frequently on white, grey, and clear hairs.

Now if it feel no different from you pulling a hair out with your bathroom tweezers, then nothing has actually been treated. That is the area where you could have a hair removed, but not treated, or not fully treated. The good news, is that if the hair was treated at all, even minimally, it would at least come back thinner and weaker next time. That would leave it with a thinner less substantial “root sheath system” that will come out easier next time.

You should be getting finished soon if you are at the point where you are being cleared entirely each and every time you get work done. I hope that you already checked everyone in your area so that you picked the best person in your area to begin with. If not, you may want to do some more consultations just so you can confirm or refute the idea that you already have the best person in your area doing your work.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by James W. Walker VII, CPE:
[QB]If a hair that is not in Anagen growth phase is treated, it often has very little moisture, and frequently has a large ball of matter at the end of the shaft. This ball of dry matter is larger than the follicle that it is being pulled out of, and unless the practitioner turns up the power to blast a hole large enough to clear a space for it, there will be a little “pop” when that mass comes out of the hair shaft. This can also happen when treating anagen hairs with a newer machine on a setting made to treat only the lowest portion of the papilla while leaving the upper layers of skin untouched. If your epithelium is thick, you may feel the same kind of “pop” when these hairs are removed. This happens frequently on white, grey, and clear hairs.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Wow, I had no idea! that explains why sometimes I get a “tweezing” feeling which is not like an “usual” tweezing feeling when my electrologist removes some hairs, especially since I feel that only with a few hairs, while I feel nothing while she removes most others.
I just learned something!

James, (If you read this)

I appreciate your insight so much. Since I think I’m only about half-way done after all this time, and it’s definitely a ‘zap zap zap, pluck pluck pluck’ feel, I may look around for someone else. I’ve been reluctant to do this because my endocrinologist, of all people, refered me to her and goes there herself. So I felt safe and comfortable. Oh well, I guess it’s time to get out there and put my faith into someone else.

Thanks again

Thank you for your kind words. We are all here to help each other out. Learning is the idea here.

Now I must add here that as long as you are not feeling something that feels like pulling out a hair that has not been treated, you may be ok where you are. I would just suggest that no matter where you are, you should check out many practitioners. Either you find someone better, or you find out that you already have the best one in town, and you appreciate her more for having done the research.