Coarse distorted facial hair. Multiplex settings

I’m using an apilus sm-500 with multiplex (2 displacement pulses) on a lady who has distorted roots from yrs of bad ingrowns. Some of her roots are the classic j shape. I’m finding it a struggle to get these hairs to slide out easily. Sometimes even the insertions can be difficult due to dry thick skin with tight follicle openings.

Today I used 3 pulses (with a lower setting) to see if it helped. It didn’t really. I normally use displacement with the pulses, but now I’m wondering if I should let it all pulse at the bottom of the follicle since the papilla is curved?

I can’t use blend due to health reasons. Anyone have any setting or technique suggestions dealing with this type of hair?

How coarse and deep is the hair?
Is your probe insulated?

I believe from memory: Hairs are equal to an average pubic hair thickness. Depth ranges 4-5mm.

No probe isn’t insulated.

Earlier this morning I bought online some isogard th probes. Probably should have gotten some blend ones too?!

What are isogard probes Carebearhair?
On difficult hairs like that i have used the ‘pyramid’ technique described by Josefa and it worked. So; inserting twice on either side of the hair. (I was in multiplex at the time) Using insulated.

Isoguard = Pro-tec insulated probes. I think these are Dectro’s.

Carebearhair - Josefa trialled the Pro-tec Isoguard TH on my sister’s thigh, I’m not going to say the results weren’t good but it was a nightmare to use.
http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/102096/depilacionelectr.html#Post102096

If you want insulated for thermolysis, go for the Laurier IBP.

As you are using multi-plex, you can attempt to synchronize your insertion to deliver treatment energy along the path of the follicle as you slide the probe down. This is like the SIMPLE technique.

This is also a classic case where a little “popping” would be acceptable.

just read the thread about the protec (dectro) probes: dang just ordered a whole bunch.

I was thinking of the Laurier probes, but I don’t have an autoclave yet (not that i would use the probe on more than one person). Been using chemical sterilization for tweezers/tips.

I will try the pyramid technique.

James: how many pulses are generally used in the simple technique? I have tried up to 3 pulses with minor success.

Just after I wrote about needing an autoclave, I found one locally for a good price! So I am going to order some Laurier probes. It took me all day today to read the laurier II thread…can’t wait to try them :slight_smile: Of course I gotta learn on all those protec probes too.

I saw my lady again and tried a couple more techniques and settings. I found a higher setting worked best with 3 pulses, but I don’t like to see those tiny pinpoint scabs (which she was having from the previous treatment) and I was resisting turning it up. With the insulated probes I hope to see less skin reaction.

I saw the info on the SIMPLE technique and I think that is what I have been doing but without an insulated probe?

You can also try the “James technique” as I call it for curved follicles. This involves keeping the skin pinched while you insert the probe. As you undoubtedly know, the follicle is malleable, that is, you can change its shape temporally. While the simple stretching horizontally maintains the curvature of the follicle, pinching the skin will get the follicle in a more straight, and your probe will find no obstacle into the first corner of the follicle. It’s complicated to explain, I’m sure James can do it much better.

Note: You do not need an autoclave to use The Laurier IBP. Now the probes are previously sterilized and individually packaged.

That’s a great idea! I’ll admit I have never heard of pinching to straighten a follicle, other than to move the skin for easier insertions.

I have more ?'s on the reuse of the IBP but maybe I will ask in it’s on thread.

I had not heard of it either, but recently discovered that it works. So let’s name this technique “Pinch technique”? :wink:

I have tried to illustrate how things might be happening down there.

Stretching horizontally, the curve of the follicle could be even more closed.

Stretching in pinch, the curved follicle opens to make way to the needle.

1 Like

Wonderful pics! Visual’s are so helpful. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Josefa, is what you meant by “Pinch technique”?

from 4:10

Good picture. This helps me understand why my electrologist keeps pinching my skin

CareBearhair:

Another thing to try. Multi-plex “setting 4,” and note the seconds setting. Pulse setting “2” and go back to the seconds and raise to the original “setting 4” seconds.

Most definitely use the isogard th or bl needles. (bl needles have more tip exposed) With these sequoia (twisted or not) hairs, I match the needle and setting. A size 4 hair would indicate a “setting 4” on the Platinum.

The other tip I will mention is to “worry” that needle into the follicle. What I mean by that is to wiggle it in by watching the surrounding skin for dimpling (you don’t want that), and watching the hair for whether or not it is moving or sliding around with the insertion (you do want that). If you’ve gone out of the follicle the skin will dimple and the hair won’t move. If you are following that follicle the hair might slide around the needle.

You might be suprised how well the IBP deals with follicles like these :wink:

Thanks for the tips Barbara, I will have a look at my machine and the multiplex settings esp the seconds. With the sm-500, one picks out the area (chin is #3) and the coarseness of the hair(1-9) to get 2 numbers (for the presets): 34. Not really sure if, that is at all similar to the platinum??

I have been using the pro tec ITH probes since I bought a whole bunch in bulk just before I read more in-depth of the Laurier probes. I still am planning on buying soon :slight_smile:

I found the pro tec OK because I used sterex 2 piece quite a bit and they are similar in feel to each other. There are those times/areas when I wish they weren’t so dang bendy, but thats why I need to buy the Laurier probes.

I noticed the skin reactions almost disappeared with the insulated probes and I’m happy with results. I’m glad I tried an insulated probe, I never really thought about it before since I don’t know of anyone personally that uses them. Thank goodness for hairtell and you all :slight_smile:

The lady with the distorted hairs can still be a struggle for me sometimes, but her hairs are “softening” and are getting easier to release. I have been using the pinch technique and will watch the hair more closely with insertion like Barbara suggested.

I had another lady start at the same time with similar coarse deep beard and upper lip hairs and man her hairs are dying like I’ve never seen before…Amazingly fast and they come out like butter lol. Only difference (not including hormones/genetics of course) is they are “virgin hairs”. She never really tweezed or waxed her hairs before and just shaved once in awhile. I haven’t seen that too often, usually coarse facial hairs are abused by frequent tweezing, waxing or being lasered before they come to try electrolysis these days.