Cleo Apilus bought in Spain and used in USA

Hi everyone,

I have a issue: I bought a Flash Cleo Apilus in Spain that in Europe works with 220 v and 13.56 MHz . In USA we have 120 v and 60 Hz. I know I need a voltage transformer but what about the HZ cycle? Voltage transformers convert voltage but not Hz… Could this be an issue in my Cleo’s working effectively? Anybody in the forum bought the Apilus in Europe and tried to work on it in the US?

Thank you.

1. 13.56 MHz has nothing to do with the power supply voltage.
    The machine will work at that frequency everywhere.
  2. You do not need voltage transformer.You have to make rewiring of the machine transformer from 220V to 120V.I think the machine has that option.

Dimi

they replace the power supply portion generally. It’s not done very often because its far more economical to sell it in th country of origin and buy a new one where it’s going to, but there it is. .

Thank you for your responses. The machine is second hand. The previous owner bought it about 15 years ago… Hopefully I’m wrong but I doubt that the machine has the option of rewiring the voltage level…

I have SX-500 which is not new also.
I was planning to go to Europe so I asked the Dectro technician for that problem. He told me that I can rewire the existing power supply. Most manufacturers even put switch on the rear panel for 220/120V.I am not sure for Cleo but I suspect that this is possible.

Thank you dimi!! I bought the Cleo online and the person is sending it to me from Spain next week. I got a good deal ($720) :slight_smile: Hopefully it has that option!! I am watching videos on how to rewire power supply and it sounds very complicated to me. Do you think that by plugging the Apilus into a voltage transformer to switch from 120 v to 220 v could work as well?

Thank you much!

My choice will be rewiring but if you want to use external transformer be sure that the power output of the transformer is higher than the maximum power consumption of the machine.The machine could not perform correctly if there is power fluctuation from the grid.

Thank you Dimi!! I saw this cheap voltage transformer online

It might work … what do you think?

Thank you again!

How many Watts is the power supply of the Cleo machine?

Converter
200 Watt Capacity - Step Up/Down 110/117/120V to 220/230/240V or 220/230/240V to 110/117/120V

Not a snowballs chance in hell will that work for the apilus machine which likely hast a 400-800 watt power supply. Look at the machine itself to determine if there is a voltage switch on the power supply, or call dectro to determine the best course of action otherwise.

My SX-500 is 150 Watts so I believe that the Cleo machine will be about 100 Watts.I asked teddybear to check the PS but there is no answer yet.

It matters what the draw is when the current is discharged. At 150, your machine will have surges of greater than 150 watts . If you short the machine of amperage, it is sure to cause problems in operation.

I spent months troubleshooting power issues when an elevator nearby our office drew large amounts of amperage.

Watts, is a poor measurement of amperage draw since it’s manufacturer arbitrary.

The protection fuse is 1A(on my machine).The machine can not consume more than 120 Watts, otherwise the fuse will blow. If you speak for in-rush current or microsurges, than the design of circuitry has to take care of that like instaling big capacitors etc.If the machine consumes more than 150 input power then there is a problem and the machine has to be repaired.

1 Like

Thank you much for your responses and help. I really appreciate!! Unfortunately, I am still waiting for the Cleo to get to my mailing address. I just pray for the machine to have that option otherwise I will get depressed that I paid $750 for nothing… In case I need to contact Decro they will find out that I am not even certified so I doubt they will help me. On the other hand , the woman who sold me the machine could not find the little booklet of directions that the Apilus came with… Do you know where or how to get it? Again thank you very much!!

Not necessarily, I was able to order out parts for my SM-500 years before I was certified.
Dectro can send you the book, I think it’s technically $12 but I’ve had them include it for free with other orders ( again, when I wasnt certified) .

teddybear,

I have the manual for next generation Cleo (Junior). If you want I can PM it to you.

Dimi

Thank you very much on your responses. lluv2zap and dimi !! I feel a lot of support from you in this forum! Wonderful dimi!! if you have the manual and if it’s not too much to ask, I would be very grateful that you could send it to me. Thank you very much!!! God bless you guys on this road to remove our unwanted hair.

teddybear,

I sent you PM.