changing machine presets?

Do you change the presets on your machines?
How do you know when to increase/decrease timing vs frequency?

Unfortunately, I was taught to keep raising the “power” until the hair comes out. (How is this school even successful?!)
Now that I have the amazing Laurier probes, the presets (or lack thereof) can make a world of a difference.

Anyone have any input on the standard presets for the apilus machine?

I’ve asked her to come here for advice as to how to deviate from pre-sets when called for. She would appreciate any input the pro’s would care to offer. Pre-sets are a good starting point but one should not limit themselves with them.

IIRC she’s working with a Cleo.

Thank you for helping me out with this :slight_smile:

I was really hesitant to answer this becuase it’s not all that straitforward. Much of your “changes” will depend on your experience, and the client tolerance.

I do a lot of blend, mostly in multiplex mode ( on an Apilus Sm-500) . I find it’s usually pretty safe to increase the galvanic component in blend, even by large amounts, as long as it’s within the clients pain tolerances.Example I might raise the galvanic from 0.62 MA to 0.80 MA as long as the client can withstand the discomfort. The thermolysis component can be increased, but usually you want to keep it to within a few % of the original settings. For example I’d feel comfortable increasing from 9-12 % but not to 20%

The Apilus presets are estimates, based on client comfort for the area being worked on for the most part but also on safety factors. They are a good starting point,but they are a little on the conservative side.
I havent found a permanent way to reset levels on any preset so you’ll need to set the preset, then adjust your levels from there each time you use the machine, but the cleo may have functions mine doesnt or I havent played with yet.

I’m really uncomfortable giving specific energy levels, because those you will need to determine yourself, but the guidelines I’ve stated will give you more knowledge than was conveyed to me starting out. Every machine will have different calibration too so use some caution.I once cranked up the thermolysis on blend to 30% and tried a few insertions on myself, aand very quickly learned why you dont do that :slight_smile:

Seana

Thank you for your response.
I only work with thermolysis on my clients.
The real question I have is what do you increase/decrease? The timing or intensity?
With the presets, my clients show some bumps that heal within a few hours. I would like to eliminate that.

Timing is directly related to intensity. The general rule is that if timing is increased then intensity should be lowered. But if timing is decreased, intensity can be increased. For beginners, lower intensity on longer time is safer to do until you master your speed in insertions and judgement of proper skin reaction to treatment.

That is a great response! Thank you!

I have clients who get white bumps but no blanching of the skin is seen during treatment. It lasts an hr or 2. Is that normal or should I increase timing and lower intensity?

I can’t make judgment calls like this. It requires hands on training, not something that can be read on text or seen on photo to make a treatment decision. And I’m surprised that you are an electrologist with clients? Do they pay for your service? You should invest your time into being properly trained with the equipment you use on clients before you begin experimenting on them.

Thanks for the response. To answer your question, yes, I’m a certified electrologist for the past 5 years.
Unfortunately, my school and mentors have been unhelpful and I’m looking to do the best for my clients.
I’ve been seeing good results with certain areas but sometimes I can’t feel the root (I’m sure you understand how frustrating that is).
Plus, I’ve never worked on a machine with presets. Therefore, when I was told by an electrolysis guru to only use presets as a starting point, it piqued my interest.