Caution: DIY electrolysis is risky & hard

Well, I was going through a sex change when I finally removed the hair with electrolysis. That aside, the motivation to want to remove hair has little to do with gender.Being more content with yourself is enough reason. I’ve lots of men who are clients because they dont like the hair on their shoulders or the texture of it . I’ve even had men seek removal because they didnt want the hair to cover up a tattoo they were particularly fond of. Dont tell me men dont get hair removal because they certainly do!

I’ve plenty of clients that have undergone IPL and they all seem to grow most of it back within a few months, though some of the hair seems to be thinner for a while. The problem with IPL is it lacks sufficient energy to rech and disable the hair root. So it’s not sometimes it grows back, it always grows back.

The professional units are built significantly differently from the one touch junk. galvanic by itself is pretty slow unless you are doing multineedle, and can be quite painful because of the period of time the current is on for. Blend has a comfort advantage in that the thermolysis pulse both cauterize the nerves so the galvanic sensation is not felt as well as heating the lye produced so that less of it is needed ( meaning a lower duration /discomfort from current) . Accuracy is much improved with the correct probes and probeholders.

Really appreciate all your help and have seen a unit online for about $400. Will have to save for it. My generation as I am 53, was not really accepting of men not being totally hair brutes and follow the masculine hygiene practices most men usually do. Sorry, I just do not fall into that category. Even if I did not have the skin irritation I have, I would still not want the hair. It just looks ugly on skin. On the head and eyebrows fine, just not anywhere else.

Mostly, I would say men of my generation are less accepting, but I still did encounter some flack from a woman my age when I was going to buy some women’s razors. I have never worn men’s cologne or used men’s soaps and deodorants either. I can’t stand the smell. Too poignant and makes my nose run. People are more accepting of that fact, but the hairless part is even a touchy subject with my woman.

I tried to hide the fact I had that Flash N Go. Of course through the bathroom door she saw the flashes and told me she thought I was taking selfies of myself. I told her what it was but discussion just halted right there. She really does not want to know things like this. Sure, when we were dating she knew I used an epilator, but once again just accepted it, but wanted to know zero details about it. I even got her one, which she used for maybe a week and then just gave up on it, said it bothered her too much. I gave her zero hassle on that as is her preference to be a little hairier. Sure, she shaves her legs and underarms but arms are actually hairier than I ever was, but I accept it as I love her very much!

I am going to be a little worried what will happen when I get this electrolysis machine as I can tell will never just fit easily into a drawer. Also have zero clue what the noise level will be of it? I honestly did had high hopes of this flash stuff working, but I know when it comes to my face will never get even close to everything and I have zero proof the 80% done everywhere else will hold for the rest of my life. I have just heard way too much about hair returning. I want zero returns and just be able to enjoy my life without it. I will bet you enjoy it deeply never having to worry about pesky hairs bothering you!

Don’t knock the DIY One Touch unit, it worked for me… You can use the unit daily and not have to pay $$€€ on professional treatments, once you get the hang of it and if it’s a easy area to acces you can clear the area with the One Touch.

It’s hard not to kmock them harry, they are about the worst implementation of a galvanic electrolysis machine conceivable. The current from a 9v battery is put through a cheaply made vaiable resistor with thin wires that are susceptable to the same water and salt rich environment in which they work.Basically the electrical starts to degrade from its first use.The non sterility of the probees themselves is a serious source of contamination of the hair follicle sure to result in infection . It’s long been said that you are better off making your own galvanic circuit from scratch, that trying to modify a one touch to be useful.

I’ve had great results with the OT, Seana, I don’t understand the difference terminology, Galvanic and the other technical terms for the hair growth stages, nor for the electrolysis the machines that are being used… If I was to upgrade from a OT it would cost hundreds of €… . I do use Surgical Spirits to clean the probes during and after use, I squeeze as much life as I can out of the probes… HA!

galvanic refers to the type of current ( Direct Current) and has nothing at all to do with hair stages.
Wiping with spirits does dlittle to prevent contamination. Otherwise electrologists everywhere would do that rather than buy expensive autoclaves and dry heat sterilizers.

I became a certified electrologist in 1986. I learned Thermolysis on a Berkowitz 2200 machine. I worked professionally for a few years and then began a city job, quitting my electrologist job. After menopause, my face started to get hairy. I was tweezing the hair off my chin, and upper and lower lip. Now at the age of 66, I began going to an electrologist. I didn’t like what the daily tweezing was doing to my face. It began slowly and then became a daily necessity. In January, 2019 I stopped all tweezing, and in March, 2019 began weekly 30 minute electrolysis sessions. I have seen definite improvement. Along with these sessions, I began working on myself in between. But only treated the left side of my face and only in a limited area. I quickly remembered what I had learned; how to insert the needle, how far, and to only remove the hair if it slid out. I never forcefully remove hair. Not only does it slide out, I also see the white liquid. The electrolysis is very costly for me. I am at a point where I could have purchased a new machine. I understand from this site, that Thermolysis is not as forgiving as Blend. I am considering purchasing a Blend Machine and researching books and videos as mentioned on this site to learn Blend. I think in the long run, purchasing this machine would save me money and I could work on myself as often as necessary. I am asking your guidance in what machine I should purchase and where. I thank you all in advance for all the knowledge you share with everyone here.
Janet

Hi Janet,
Well things havent really changed a whole lot since 1986. We still have 3 primary modalities ( and a whole buttload of implementations of those 3 modalities. Machines that worked in 1986, mostly, still work today…Electrocautery plus pressure still equals cut skin meaning DIY insertions which are inherently inaccurate at risk for marks or cuts using thermolysis . And pure galvanic can still takes 2-3 minutes per hair, especially course deep beard hairs.
I personally promote blend for DIY usage and finding your working point the same way, as well was probably taught in 1986. The biggest change I can think of is the heavy adoption of the insulated needle . The machine? well that doesnt matter so much as the ability to deliver blend or any of the 3 primary modalities.
I will say that DIY takes PRACTISE and an equal measure of patience. But that given those first 2, effective removal of hair blemish free is entirely within the realm of possibility.

Seana

1 Like

Thank you Seana for your quick reply.

From what I have read on this site, Blend is the best way to go for a DIY. I am pretty good with Thermolysis on the left side of my face, so I’m sure I could learn Blend, and begin to manage my right side. I was looking into the Instantron Spectrum Elite. I have read such good things about the machine and the customer service. From what I read I think you would recommend that over Apilus. My electrologist uses the Apilus Platinum on Thermolysis modality for my sessions.

I am retired so I have the time to learn and moreover the patience. I am always happy when you post that DIY is within the realm of possibility.

I will continue to read posts on Hairtell regarding DIY; and information on the best and most affordable machine for a DIY. I appreciate that you share your knowledge and experience. If you have anymore words of wisdom for me I would be grateful.

Have a wonderful day,

Janet

I’m a big fan of the spectrum elite and do indeed have one in my office. It’s remarably easy to use and skip will have some starting energy levels to get a professional going for both traditional longer timing blend, and fast blend settings. You’re right that he is a very knowedgable and has good customer service skills.

Hello all!

I’m in the process of learning Electrolysis. I have bought the recommended books, have watched countless YouTube videos and have read through so many of these threads, including this one. I have gotten Electrolysis done before but I would like to learn so I can do it on my own. I live in NY where Electrology is not regulated and a license isn’t required.

I know that because I’m a beginner, a blend machine is best. I’ve also been told that Apilus machines are the best of the best, especially when it comes to comfort. I’m looking for a used machine but I don’t mind spending the extra money on a new machine if it’s worth it, however, I need some guidance since there are so many out there.

Also, I know I’m a beginner now but with time I do hope to be a professional so I would like to get a machine that I can learn more from once I’m more advanced. (If this doesn’t really matter then my main concern is comfort)

I’ve been looking at mainly Apilus but also Instantron and Sterex. The pricing has varied and that’s what I also need help with because I don’t know if I’m getting a good deal.

Please let me know if any of these options are suitable and which one you recommend or if you have anything you would recommend:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/gatineau/equipement-delectrolyse/1490988797

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-business-industrial/gatineau/apilus-platinum/1494131024?undefined

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-appareils-electroniques/lac-saint-jean/apilus-senior-3g-electrolyse/1489935729?undefined

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sante-besoins-speciaux/ouest-de-lile-qc/machine-a-electrolyse-apilus-platinum-27mhz/1478424809?undefined

https://www.prestige-supply.com/product/sterex-stereblend-epilator/

Your help is much appreciated and I appreciate everyone who takes the time to come on here and answer questions for people like me.

I know I will probably have more questions in the future but will try my best to learn as much material as I can on my own. Some tips would also be great. Possibly what tweezers, magnifying glass, numbing agents, etc you use. Thanks in advance.

Pink

Any of the machines you’ve shown are capable of blend, and will do fine. Apilus are good machines to learn on but dont discount some other machines as well. There are plenty of machines by clareblend, Instantron, and many others that will do just as good a job. Lots of lower end apilus products too, like seniors or senior 2,apilus juniors, silouette tone machines, some can be had on the cheap and are just fine for learning or doing DIY. I’d stay away from the SX-500 though, the sram cards are not replacceable anymore ( and were stupid expensive to buy) and the batteries can run flat in them.

Great thanks for your input! Will look more into this before purchasing. Probably not the best time to purchase with this pandemic happening but probably good with all this free time, I can practice at home. Hope everyone is staying safe!

As far as probes go, an F3 should be all around sufficient for most hairs on the body correct? or should I get a few different sizes? My body hair is very coarse, sometimes curly in some areas. My hairs are also deep rooted and long. I would assume if it were for the face an F2 would work best?

f3 is the smallest size I use. For most things I opt for an f4 or f5 Youwant to match the diameter with the size of the hair or a little larger. When you are first learning you will find smaller probes easier to nsert, but also easier to bend through clumsiness. Also smaller probes get hotter from thermolysis energy.

1 Like

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sante-besoins-speciaux/saguenay/esthetique/1490090118

Something like this will make a great diy starter machine or this:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sante-besoins-speciaux/ville-de-quebec/electrolyse-apilus-junior/1488375963?undefined
Both are 13.56 mhz epilators capable of blend. Spending a little less will also mean, if you decide you arent cut out for self-electrolysis, you can usually resell them to make your money back .

I emailed everyone on Kiji that had an Apilus for sale, unfortunately none of them are wiling to ship and since I can’t travel to go pick it up, will have to order off eBay or new.

This one should be sufficient if sold with all the necessary cords and accessories. It’s a great price for a first machine, but there will be added costs if you need to source a missing foot switch or indifferent electrode etc.

Last I remember, the owner of Instantron is still able to provide some level of support for older machines in terms of replacement accessories and maintenance, but I’m not certain. If you consider this one seriously, it would be worth contacting him to introduce yourself and check what is possible.

A new model Instantron is also a good option, but maybe better to make that purchase when you’re sure this could be the career for you.

that add doesnt show any cords or footswitches so buyer beware… Skip would tell you to leave it, I’m certain of that.

Yes, I saw that one on eBay but no accessories. I would like to do a one time purchase so I don’t need to worry about missing anything.

Will probably go with a new Sterex stereblend or clareblend machine on prestige-supply.com so I can just order all the accessories at once. Appreciate everyone’s help!