Can one trim to the point of...

… getting the appearance of having removed the hair?
How closely can one trim one’s hair?
Does the hair always end up being at least a little visible and/or the stubble or little growth left be felt after trimming?

Elena:

Now days you can get a really close shave with a variety of shavers.
To name a few: the good ole, straight razor, Marc3, Shick3 and others.
Even some electric shavers get close.

As far as not seeing your hair after shaving, it could depend on a few things. If you look close, you can see each hair but from a distant maybe not. Ther are other things that could affect this also.
Color of hair
Type of hair
Color of skin
Texture of skin
Even your age
Heriditary
Maybe even other things
And of course the shaver your using

Stubs, the plague of anybody who shaves.

Bottom line - if you cut it, you get stubs, so you shave it everyday.

But Elena, there are other choices in this world.

Thanks Aguila :smile: .
What choices are you thinking of? I am undergoing electrolysis, so tweezing, waxing and plucking should not be an option.
But if you have more info, let me know :smile: .

Elena:

If your getting electrolysis, there’s probarly no need to use a temp method?

But since, you also using a rotary Epilator, you seen to have the best of both worlds.

What part are you is getting electrolysis and what part do you use the Epilator?

I use a Twin Rotary Epilator, myself

Dear Aguila, you say:

>If your getting electrolysis, there’s probarly no need to use a temp method?

Yes in my case, as I can’t see my electrologist (for financial reasons) but 2 times a month, and that I have enough hair and hair growth in between treatments to have to remove the hairs somehow.

>But since, you also using a rotary Epilator, you seen to have the best of both worlds.

Well, the problem is that rotary epilators take the hairs from the root, which is basically as tweezing and plucking, which is counterproductive for my electrolysis treatment.

>What part are you is getting electrolysis and what part do you use the Epilator?

I use the epilator for my legs (lower legs), underarm area and any occasional hair that might pop up in unwanted areas.
I can’t use it anymore in my bikini area if I want to get rid of the bikini hair with electrolysis.

Elena:

Ok, I think I understand, now.
Your electrologist is doing the public area twice a month.
In the mean time, you want something to eliminate some hair from the surface of the skin in the pubic area, but you want it real close and you don’t want to feel them stubs from shaving.

Legs, arms, and misc with an Epilator.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Are you in Uruguay or another country.

I was thinking, that the Marc3 or Shick3 might be a good temp solution for your pubic area till the electrologist finishes that area.
Many people swear by one of these two brands or do you perfer an electric razor.
~~
¿Entiende?

[ May 15, 2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Aguila ]

Do you speak Spanish? :smile:
Entiendo!

Exactly, Aguila. The bikini line (not the entire pubic area, though) is treated two times a month by my electrologist, and in the meantime I try to eliminate the hairs that are growing and will be too evident until my next appointment.
They are not too many, but enough to be self conscious about them (I swim, so that is a concern - I use a bathing suit with daylight or daylight-like lighting by the pool everyday).

You made me laugh with the unintentional spelling mistake:

> you want something to eliminate some hair from the surface of the skin in the public area

Well, it is true that I swim and have to use a bathing suit everyday, but it is really not a puBlic area anyway :wink: . (just joking!).

> but you want it real close and you don’t want to feel them stubs from shaving.

Exactly!

>Are you in Uruguay or another country.

Yep, in Uruguay :smile: .

>I was thinking, that the Marc3 or Shick3 might be a good temp solution for your pubic area till the electrologist finishes that area.

My rotary epilator comes with a razor head, would that work? I never tried it (I don’t even know how to use it!). I am talking of the Epilady Discrette Plus model.

http://www.epilady.com/page_2a.html

Elena:

I edited the word,thanx.

Are you happy with the results you getting from the electrologist?
~
The shaver head that came with your Epilator will work but you won’t get as close of shave as if you use a Marc3 or Shick3. So, you will get them stubs quickly and the hairs will be more noticeable.
To change the heads, just press the release button and the head releases.
Doesn’t the Epil-Lady hurt? From what I’ve heard from many users, they hate it.
Are those specific types of razors sold in Uruguay? Are you in Montevideo?
~
¿Desde es latina, los pelos suya esta oscuro?

[ May 15, 2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Aguila ]

Hi Aguila, no need to edit that word, it was just so funny when considering the context… :smile:

>Are you happy with the results you getting from the electrologist?

I am not sure of how to answer that. It has certainly helped a lot, but I have not had total success… but THEN, it might be my fault, as I was tweezing in between treatments. For an explanation on that, if you go to today’s active posts, under the “Professional Electrolysis” board, you will see my two posts, where I explain everything and where the electrologist James explains me what is what I was doing wrong. I hope to get better results from now on.

>The shaver head that came with your Epilator will work but you won’t get as close of shave as if you use a Marc3 or Shick3. So, you will get them stubs quickly and the hairs will be more noticeable.

Oh I see. Anyway, with that shaving head, what part of it has to be applied over the area where I want to remove the hairs? the slightly dented part in the side of the head??? what is the one filled with little holes for???

>Doesn’t the Epil-Lady hurt? From what I’ve heard from many users, they hate it.

Not to me, not at all. The OLD Epilady was a torture. You needed hairs to be quite long for them to be grabbed, you had to go over the same areas many times to grab all the hairs, and some long hairs would get twisted in the rotating wire and make you go ouch!
This model, though, is different. It is of the same type of the Emjoi’s, Braun’s, Philips’ models, but personally, I think it is the best. It doesn’t hurt at all, it grabs even the shortest hairs, it is fast, it comes with batteries so you can use it during traveling, and the key is to keep the skin taut with one hand and going through the area with both up and down and circular motions. NO hair gets to not get removed that way, believe me. And it doesnt’ hurt, and I don’t get irritated afterwards. Another secret is to trim long hairs before you use it, or better, keep them quite short and use the epilator often. The shorter the hairs, the less painful or not painful at all it is. Personally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It made me go from having to wax once a week (ok, I am a neat freak regarding body hair) and tweeze and having either to pay to get waxed or wax at home and make a mess and spend tons of time, and worry about how to keep my body hairfree during trips, to having something I can use anytime, anywhere, that in my case removes more and better than any other method, that I can use in any body part, that doesn’t hurt, burn or bother nor make a mess… and that takes me only a few minutes! I just love it, it changed my life!

>Are those specific types of razors sold in Uruguay? Are you in Montevideo?

The Mach, I think yes, the Schik, not :frowning: .

¿Desde es latina, los pelos suya esta oscuro?

See, I am in Montevideo indeed. and most population in Montevideo and all Uruguay are not really of the kind of latino descent of the rest of Latin America. 80% of our population is of Italian, Spanish, French or European descent! Really! I am of Italian and French descent, but mostly Italian and look like any northern Italian woman. Check painters Boticelli’s or any Renaissance painters’ paintings and portraits of women from center and north Italy. I am like a carbon copy of them. Wavy hair with some curls, but of reddish-golden and auburn hues, gold eyes. Really white skin (again, my ancestors are all from Northern Italy, southern Italy has more arabian, maltese and oriental influence, hence southern Italians tend to be more olive skinned and dark haired). I am relatively hairy, but it is not THAT terrible. The problem is that I am soooo milkish white that my hairs, even if light brown or brown, stand out a lot in my legs and bikini area. My head hair is a lot more clear, though. I am not at all the latina type that people are used to see. The Jennifer Lopez type and mine are extremely distant, while I bet that any northern Italian or French friend of yours would think that I am from his/her country :smile: .

Elena:

Ok, I redited the word for you and put it back the way it was the first time.

Yes, tweezing while receiving electrolysis is not a good idea. If the Electrolist can’t see the hair folicule how can he kill it?

As for the shaving head, on your Epil-lady, the flat part on top does the shaving. Just put it over the area that you want to shave and see the results.

Your the only person, that I have heard of who hasn’t had pain with the Epil-lady. If it works for you, sure continue using it. As for the lenght of the hair, I think it might be better not to let any hairs get longer than 2mm befoe using the Epilator.
Probably everybody here, also wants their hair removed some way or another to look neater and cleaner. After all, that’s why were’re all here comparing information and getting new information.

How much does waxing a bikini and full Brasilian cost in Uruguay?

Ok, if you find that the saving head isn’t shaving close enough, you can at least buy the Marc3.

I got family Argentina.
I have always wanted to go to Punto del Este one day but I have never made it there.

Dear Aguila:

>Yes, tweezing while receiving electrolysis is not a good idea. If the Electrolist can’t see the hair folicule how can he kill it?

Exactly.

>As for the shaving head, on your Epil-lady, the flat part on top does the shaving. Just put it over the area that you want to shave and see the results.

Would the flat part be the one that is kind of round with tiny holes?
I think I once tried the part in the side with dented stuff… LOL.
Please confirm me if we are talking of the same thing.

>How much does waxing a bikini and full Brasilian cost in Uruguay?

It is not really expensive, it is my salary which is really low, and you must know, having family in Argentina, how bad the financial crisis is here. My salary has not changed and yet it went to being the equivalent of 1000 dollars to 170 dollars in a span of 4 years, go figure!

You can get a full leg wax, plus bikini wax (not brazilian but almost!, it is thought for our rather skimpy bikini bottoms), plus armpits wax for 12 dollars. The bikini line, not full, but almost (not Brazilian, but close) costs 3 dollars. There are some fancy salons that do it for more, but they are not really better. I would go, always go, to my electrologists, who also does waxing, who is EXCELLENT and does it all for 12 dollars. A brazilian full wax (bikini line plus everything or almost everything) must be asked specifically (or else they will remove only the hairs from the bikini line and crotch that might show trhough the bikini), and it is usually only done to women in most salons. It costs, in the place I told you about, 5 dollars. With disposable wax, antiseptic ointment and even hair growth retarder and corn starch application afterwards included. Sometimes the hair growth inhibitor is charged, but it is like 1 dollar more only.

>I got family Argentina.

Really? Mom and all of her family are from Argentina and my brother-in-law as well!!! I go there very often.

Where is your family in Argentina?

>I have always wanted to go to Punto del Este one day but I have never made it there.

You OUGHTA go, it is sooooo beautiful! let me know if you decide to come to Punta del Este. I can show you the place or give you some hints on waht to visit, where to go, etc. PS: rates in Punta del Este for getting waxed are about 3 dollars more expensive for EACH part, so think of 20 dollars for waxing “everything” (underarms, full legs, brazilian, arms if you feel like to, or lower stomach, etc.).

[ May 16, 2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Elenacam ]

Elena:

Which model are you using? the “Discrette Plus”
If it is, that model from what I can see in the tiny picture it only has two heads, epliator and shaver. It should only need to snap off and snap on and use just like you normaly use as a epliator.
If your not sure, just experiment till your find out.
OK, so, it seems like most women in Uruguay prefer getting a Bikini wax rather than a Brasilian of Full Brasilian? And you guys are right next door to of the land of the Bandaid(much smaller than the Tanga). Of course anyone wearing a Bandaid must get a Full Brasilian or you will see hair.

Yes, the financial market in Argentina collapsed a few years ago and hasn’t recovered yet and I’m sure Uruguay being right next door was affected as well.

I’ll write you an PM, regarding Argentina,OK?

>Which model are you using? the “Discrette Plus”

Yes, that one :smile:
What I am not sure about is, regarding the shaver head, what part of the head (if the one with tiny holes on top, or the one dented, in the side) I should put against the hairs to be removed :smile: .

>OK, so, it seems like most women in Uruguay prefer getting a Bikini wax rather than a Brasilian of Full Brasilian?

Usually, yes. Our bikinis are smaller than the ones in US (by far smaller), but not as skimpy as Brazilian ones. I do like to spend my vacations in Brazil, though, and personally just like more the full Brazilian look (leaving just a little patch of hair in the front). And that way I can use the same kind of bathing suits that are used in Brazil, when I go there. But Uruguayans in general are more conservative than Brazilian women and men.

>course anyone wearing a Bandaid must get a Full Brasilian or you will see hair.

Exactly!

>Yes, the financial market in Argentina collapsed a few years ago and hasn’t recovered yet and I’m sure Uruguay being right next door was affected as well.

Exactly!

>I’ll write you an PM, regarding Argentina,OK?
Sure!

Elena:

When You get home, tonight, just try the shaving part. I’m sure it will be very simple, don’t worry.
With two more years till your finished your electrolsis, you need a good temp solution.

Do you know about what % of latinos in Uruguay get waxed/shave/epilate/electrolsis?

Yea, them Brasilian women sure love wearing their bandaids. Latin women in SA are more conservative them any Brasilian women. Not that latin women are conservative either, but next to a Brasilian it sure looks that way.
It’s one of those culture things.
I’ve seen them walk into a nice resturant wearing just a bandaid. But for them it’s nothing, because it’s so common.

What cities have you been to in Brasil?
I’ve been to Rio a few times.

>Do you know about what % of latinos in Uruguay get waxed/shave/epilate/electrolsis?

I am not sure of the percentages, not the exact numbers, I mean, but I can tell you that I have noticed that, for some reason, don’t ask me why, the hair removal method of preference is often associated with both people’s financial status and income and education level. Usually, lower income people, for financial and practicity issues, use regular razors, medium class people use either shavers, epilating creams, home waxing strips or waxing in neighborhood-not fancy beauty salons. Medium class of college educated people usually go for waxing strips, epilators and waxing at beauty salons. High class people all seem to go for waxing, most in fancy beauty salons.
Electrolysis is performed by very few people, and most women never get it. Some medium class or rich people try laser, but usually not electrolysis. We have like 5 electrologists in a 1.7 people city!
All and all, I’d say that 40% wax, 50% shave and 10% use other methods, including rotary epilators, depilatories and shavers.

>I’ve seen them walk into a nice resturant wearing just a bandaid. But for them it’s nothing, because it’s so common.

Yes, I know. I don’t use the dental floss kind of bottom, but when in Brazil I sure use with no embarassment whatsoever (it is the most common thing) an almost thong bikini, and I have walked into stores like that. It is common indeed, it is not “slutty” looking there. Just normal, just like guys walk anywhere with speedo like bathing suits, wether old or young, fat or trim.

>What cities have you been to in Brasil?

I adore Brazil! adore it!
Have been to Porto Alegre, Pelotas, Bahia, Itaparica, Angra dos Reis, Rio (3 times, the love of my life!), Florianopolis. I just ADORE Rio. Email me later telling me where you stayed in Rio.

Elena:

I’ve been to Rio (Impanima, La bron(sp) and Copacabana,) La barra, and Iguazu falls.
For most of the places, you been to in Brasil, do you drive?
Do you drive to Rio, If so how many hours?

I always have a hard time understanding them cariocas,(the accent is unreal and too much local slang)) so I usually end up speaking English.

Yea, some of the shows that I saw, would be outlawed in most countries. I allways try to hook up with the natives. Native prices are far far lower than tourist prices. I allways had to make sure I didn’t say anything as we were entering each club or the game is up. So low, I usually paid for the night out. yea, even taxi prices are a big difference, so I couldn’t say anything in the taxis either.

One thing through, you never see any guys with any body hair(well almost never).
There it’s the norm for the clean smooth look on the guys.
It seens like the US is starting to catch on also. This board is a good example of changing attitudes.

[ May 16, 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Aguila ]

>I’ve been to Rio (Impanima, La bron(sp) and Copacabana,) La barra, and Iguazu falls.

I’ve been to Leblon, Copacabana, Ipanema and all Rio’s beaches :smile: , but not to Iguazu.
Driving to Rio is too much, it is like 4000 kilometers away, I think!
I don’t drive anyway, cars are ultra expensive here and I don’t have one.

>I always have a hard time understanding them cariocas,(the accent is unreal and too much local slang)) so I usually end up speaking English.

LOL If they talk too fast, I don’t understand them either, but if they talk calmly, I do.

>One thing through, you never see any guys with any body hair(well almost never).

That’s because mestee people and black people are naturally quite hairless.

Yes, Iquazu falls was awesome.
When I went to La Garganta del Diablo, I got soaked and the noise was so deafening you couldn’t verbaly communicate with anybody,it was only with hand guestures.
~
True, molatos and others don’t have a lot of body hair,but the ones that might have hair, get rid of it.
I guess their kind of lucky in that way?
I always had a good time there, I guess because they have less inhibitions than most other cultures.
It’s also kind of funny, their swin suits are so small that in most places in the USA they would be told to cover up or get arrested for indesent exsposer.
`
Yes, owning a car is very expensive in SA. My family in Argentina have to pay taxes on their cars, every two months. And people in the USA think taxes here suck.
Do you take a bus to those places or with friends?

[ May 18, 2003, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Aguila ]

Some people go to Rio by bus, but it takes like 2 days and a half! most people take the plane to Rio and anything beyond (up north) Sao Paulo :smile: .
People usually drive up until Florianopolis, which is about 17 hours before Sao Paulo, about a day and a half before Rio, and around 24 hours from Montevideo :smile: .